VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. TL;DR: I think this VCR (JVC HR-S7600U) is adding the words "VIDEO CALIBRATION" in the middle of the screen and I don't know how to remove it.

Hi, so I did a lot of reading here over the past year, and have a little set up where I have started archiving old home movies. I started with my old 8mm tapes. Now I've moved on to old VHS tapes. I got this VCR off ebay because it was well-recommended on the list here.

I just got done digitizing 2 VHS tapes. The first one started off with "VIDEO CALIBRATION" on screen for a couple seconds, then went away and the rest of the VHS tape was great.

The second VHS tape I tried has "VIDEO CALIBRATION" on it the entire way through the video. The text 'font' is different than the font showing the date (Meaning the date seems to have been overlayed using the old VHS Camcorder itself 30+ years ago; while the "VIDEO CALIBRATION" message seems to be coming from the VCR I'm using right now, and not the original Camcorder/VHS recording

How can I get rid of that message? The VCR did not come with a remote control. If I need to go through some VCR menus, I would need to figure out how to actually connect the VCR to a monitor or TV (I don't have anything with Composite jacks, except the Hauppauge USB-Live 2 I use to connect to my PC)

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. As long as it isn't already baked into your recordings from another source you want to turn off VIDEO CALIBRATION itself as well as turn off SUPERIMPOSE (that gets rid of all on screen displays, timers, text, etc). Probably want to put it in EDIT mode and turn off DNR if you'd rather do it in software later.

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/99/LPT0240-001A.pdf

EDIT: Just saw you don't have the remote control, you'll likely need to get one or cross your fingers with one of the cheap universal remotes from Walmart (I have an ONB13AV004).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You must have the VCR remote.

Get the JVC LP20303. It's cheap, less than $15, from eBay. (Unlike VCRs, remotes are usually safe from eBay.)

Tip: Do not buy any remote where you cannot see the battery compartment. The cap must exist, and the compartment must be free of acid leak from bad batteries.

Simply turn off overlay/superimpose in the menus.

You need to turn calibration OFF, same for R3. Read my JVC VCR guide.
    See: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/guides/video/capture-playback-hardware.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by timepassenger View Post
    The VCR did not come with a remote control. If I need to go through some VCR menus, I would need to figure out how to actually connect the VCR to a monitor or TV (I don't have anything with Composite jacks, except the Hauppauge USB-Live 2 I use to connect to my PC)
    Once you have the remote (or program a Universal), you can view the menus via S-Video. There's no need for composite.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This old guide of yours actually makes it sound like Video Calibration (AUTO) & R3 are good things, with no downside mentioned.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I always use whatever feature the VCR has unless it's giving worse results or problems, For instance in 98% of the time the DNR is ON on my VCR (HR-S7600), it cleans the chroma red and blue grains pretty damn good.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the tips on checking the battery compartment! I bought one of those remotes on eBay; just waiting for it to arrive!

Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    You must have the VCR remote.

Get the JVC LP20303. It's cheap, less than $15, from eBay. (Unlike VCRs, remotes are usually safe from eBay.)

Tip: Do not buy any remote where you cannot see the battery compartment. The cap must exist, and the compartment must be free of acid leak from bad batteries.

Simply turn off overlay/superimpose in the menus.

Last edited by timepassenger; 16th Apr 2020 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just connect your vcr to your tv co-ax connector and set it to channel 3 or 4,this will work unless your tv doesn't have a co-ax connector.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I always use whatever feature the VCR has unless it's giving worse results or problems, For instance in 98% of the time the DNR is ON on my VCR (HR-S7600), it cleans the chroma red and blue grains pretty damn good.
    I chose this VCR because I was having troubles with syncing, and I read about TBC. (I originally was trying to use a BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle, and it just wasn't working with the 8mm Handicam I started off with)

So I guess I do need to read the VCR manual to find out about all of the features. TBC, S-VHS ET are the ones on the front of the VCR, and I'm sure there are more features in the VCR menu. The hard part is that I would think turning on ALL the features would be best, but I've read on here that you have to experiment to find out which combination works the best... very time consuming!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just connect your vcr to your tv co-ax connector and set it to channel 3 or 4,this will work unless your tv doesn't have a co-ax connector.
    Yeah... no co-ax connector available.... My TVs have HDMI.. My computer's Video card has HDMI and DVI... but I haven't seen a monitor or TV with coax in years. I do have some old computer monitors lying around, but they're either HDMI or Serial input!

Anyways, I DID get Hauppauge WinTV to work; just had to randomly change settings

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Like everyone said above, You must have the remote control and turn off OSD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    you need remote , i dealing with same thing. every time you unplug or electric shortages , you need setup again its very annoying . fortunely not all vcr devices comes with that option on.
    Quote Quote