VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all-

I would like to get composite video in and out of a MacBook Pro, a 2018/2019 model with USB C connections.
    I happen to have an old ADVC110, and firewire via my Thunderbolt display. It lights up (i.e., it powers) and the input-selector works, but no images show up in Final Cut or any other capture software. Sometimes it's detected, sometimes not at all.

Any thoughts? Do I need a more direct connection than the Thunderbolt display? Might an external power adapter make a difference?
    Also open to solutions outside the ADVC 110 for bidirectional composite video?

For completeness, my main application is an analog video synthesizer, not capturing/recording VHS. No audio needed.

Thanks and regards,
    -Amanda
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm curious: what's an analog video synthesizer? Something artsy?

You mentioned external power adapter. The ADVC110 does require a power brick, if you're not already using one.

To be honest, I don't even know what "Thunderbolt display" means, but maybe this similar thread will help you:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/396546-Video-Conversion-Puzzle-4-pin-Firewire-to-Thunderbolt-3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite a bit written about this both on the general web and the topic linked to above (and those linked to from that post) - IIRC there was also another topic which I actually replied to with a link for a potential solution.

I'll add a few words here but the topic really belongs to the Mac forum.

The ADVC sends FireWire400. The thunderbolt, if I understand correctly, expects FireWire800. So you require a 400 to 800 adapter. You also require, unless that is what you referred to above, is a FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter.

The ADVC does not send composite. It accepts a composite input but into a PC/Laptop it will output DV over FireWire.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    I'm curious: what's an analog video synthesizer? Something artsy?

You mentioned external power adapter. The ADVC110 does require a power brick, if you're not already using one.

To be honest, I don't even know what "Thunderbolt display" means, but maybe this similar thread will help you:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/396546-Video-Conversion-Puzzle-4-pin-Firewire-to-Thunderbolt-3
    Thanks for the reply. I'll get a power brick (I don't think it came with one).

Video synthesizers are essentially devices that generate video signals themselves, rather than from recordings. Think of it as test patterns taken to the next level, with the ability to modify/shape/process creatively. (So, yeah, kinda artsy &#128568

-Amanda
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Followed the thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/396546-Video-Conversion-Puzzle-4-pin-Firewire-to-Thunderbolt-3
    Yep, I've got all those converters
    I think the next step is to locate a power brick. Thanks!
    -A
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The ADVC does not send composite. It accepts a composite input but into a PC/Laptop it will output DV over FireWire.
    It works in both directions, with composite, S-Video, & RCA stereo output on the back. Analog In to DV Out for PC, and DV In from PC to Analog Out. Hence "bidirectional converter" in its description.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I stand corrected. I was aware that an ADVC (I own a 300) can output analog but I thought that was reserved for 'cleaning' the incoming analog signal before sending it back to something that can accept such a signal - I actually do that for VHS captures when I do not need DV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ADVC-300 filtering is ghastly. Very ruinous to the video.

Those Canopus DV boxes are really only acceptable in PAL, not NTSC. The NTSC 4:1:1 is just far too lossy.

DV is also blocky like MPEG, in both NTSC and PAL.

Again, this is tech from the Pentium III era. Very craptastic. Minimum specs were often Pentium II.

This predates lossless capturing, which many people already consider "old" (2000s). But it's a legacy task, requiring legacy hardware and software. But ADVC boxes are just damned old, obsolete, outdated. Not even legacy.

If you must use Mac, you're somewhat screwed with quality video choices, must use what is available. It was never a video capture OS. However, the better option is to build a low-cost Windows XP/7 system for capturing only.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote