VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello Everyone,

I just recently build a new pc with the hopes of converting all my video files to x265 and taking that process off my main pc. i'll let the specs below.

anyways, I've been using xvid4psp for a while now and like how it works, it does everything i need and does it timely and the quality is superb, i know others have issues with the software saying its garbage.

anyways the version I use is the 7.0255

long story short, got the new pc all up and running with all updates etc the other day, went to do my first encode with xvid4psp and when i start i get the following error
    error: can't open x265 encoder, maybe incorrect codec parameters. everything is set up exactly the same as the other pc but I've looked and I don't know or have been able to find any solutions.

I had installed a few things but that only made it worse the program started to crash every time a file was loaded up so I removed all the stuff i installed and its back to just that error code.

any help would be appreciated. I used handbrake (which would cause my old pc to run too hot and crash) and it worked but I want to use xvid4psp I am more comfortable with it and know how to use it and the results to be expected.

new pc specs

amd ryzen 7 3800x
    16gigs of gskill ripsaw 3600
    wd 550 240gig m2 hard drive
    windows 10 pro 64bit
    asus prime x570 pro motherboard
    asus rx 570 graphics card

thanks

ryan
    Quote Quote  
  2. sorry i just read this: .. error: can't open x265 encoder ..

I should have asked for the complete log..
    Last edited by sekininsha; 4th Apr 2020 at 16:56.
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hello Sekinisha,

where would that be, I didn't have to install anything on my old machine, granted it might have been installed by something else.

why would it work for handbrake and not xvid4psp?

ryan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I am at a loss here I don't even know the encoder to download and i tried those options in a cmd window and got nothing

maybe this can help shed some light on this, this whole thing is making me feel less smart by the minute, I did nothing special on the other pc.

XviD4PSP 7.0.255
    CPU: 3893 MHz Processors: 16
    GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series
    RAM: 15.9 Gb
    OpenGL: 4.6.13543 Compatibility Profile Context 25.20.15002.58
    Shaders: 4.60
    Engine: Multithreaded
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Input file: infinite-danger.mouse-s01e05-dvdrip-xvid.avi
    File: infinite-danger.mouse-s01e05-dvdrip-xvid.avi
    Format: AVI 115.56mb 11m 25s 951ms (20558)
    Video: MPEG4 (XVID) 1277kbps 512x384p 4:3 YUV420P L5.0 B1 R1 29.970
    Audio: MP3 121kbps 2ch 16bit 48kHz -33ms
    Output file: infinite-danger.mouse-s01e05-dvdrip-xvid.mkv
    Output folder: D:\backup drive\cartoons\danger mouse\season 01
    Output format: MKV Default
    CONFIG OUTPUT STREAMS 2020-04-04 16:50:16.277
    x265 info: HEVC encoder version 1.9+87-9915f21db1c2
    x265 info: build info [Windows][GCC 5.3.0][64 bit] 8bit
    x265 info: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 SSE4.2 AVX AVX2 FMA3 LZCNT BMI2
    x265 error: frameNumThreads (--frame-threads) must be [0 .. X265_MAX_FRAME_THREADS)
    ENCODING ENDED WITH ERROR 2020-04-04 16:50:16.291
    ERROR: Can't open X265 encoder, may be incorrect codec parameters.
    Encoding time: 52ms
    Maximum memory usage: 0.0 MB
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The encoder is built in, you shouldn't have to download anything.

From your log, this is the error
    x265 error: frameNumThreads (--frame-threads) must be [0 .. X265_MAX_FRAME_THREADS)

Take a look in the xvid4psp's settings to see if you can find anything related to cpu/thread usage
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    hello davexnet,

ok I found a setting in there where it says threads, 0-automatic

when its at this setting i get that error

if i change it it works

but what should I change it too?

I have a ryzen 7 3800x, should i change it to 8 for the number or cores or 16 for the number of threads?

it also says extra next to that with a value of 1

if you know and can tell me great

either way thanks for your help i've at least got it so it will encode now
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    i looked over that link but not sure what that all means still not sure if i should set it to 8 for the number of the amd cpu's core, or to 16 for its number of threads.

I also wonder why I even had to change it. my old pc has it set to 0-auto and it works just fine.

is it because the new pc is an amd? old pc is a intel. Or is there a setting on the pc somewhere not set right like in the bios or something?

Ryan
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the old computer also have 8 cores / 16 threads?

Find a short video (at least 10 minutes) and encode it with threads = 2,
    then encode it again with the exact same settings with the threads set to 4

See if there is any difference in the encode time
    Last edited by davexnet; 4th Apr 2020 at 19:37.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    no the old computer has 6 cores 12 threads (intel i7 8700k)

the new computer is a amd ryzen 7 3800x 8 cores 16 threads (first amd cpu since maybe 1994 right before or after my cyrix cpu)

the old pc had that thread set to 0-auto but with it set like that on the new one i got the error (i guess the program couldn't get the required info on the cpu).

i can't find any real info on the program on what that should be set, it says threads so theoritically i should be putting in 16 but one spot mentioned to put in the # of cores (but one also mentioned to put in the # of threads). I have it set at 8 right now and was doing some tests.

i tested a x264 file about 45mins in length 1080

but my test did not change the thread/core count but shows that it will encode the entire video. the first one was done with cfr-2p and it took about 48 mins to encode, redid the same file this time iwth the cfr (or crf) just set at that as thats how it was on my old pc and it encoded the video in 24 mins, the 2p was smaller by about 2.5megs (not worth the extra time for that little savings).

also when i get home from work going to encode a file using the same settings that I did with handbrake and see how it compares both quality and size some handbrake files done just don't impress me on the size.

once all thats done I still have some stuff to get done to the pc itself.

my two case fans came in so i can install them (cpu usage has only been 85-89% where on the old pc its always at 100%)
    the system is also running at stock speeds 3.9ghz base and 4.5ghz with its turbo or boost speed. not sure i want to push it faster than 4.5ghz on air only cooling, if things work out right i'll get an water cooling for the cpu when i get a new case(reusing and old one).

so now its just a few tweeks and adjustments and then i can get busy on taking all my plex files from 264 to 265 and save a bunch of space on the hard drives, i estimate once i finish using the drives i have filled up i'll save about 600 from new hard drives costs and when i get the ones i am filling now done i'll be closer to 900 or more and this pc will have paid for itself.

I used to come to this website daily back in the day when it was called vcdhelp.com just think how much has changed since then. no more burning everything to blank media for a backup, now i can have them on hard drives and stream them where ever i am, etc. i was in a never ending burning mode it just seemed i was always behind and i loved when shows went on break as thats when i started to catch up.

thank you all for your help,

ryan
    Quote Quote