VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

If you were to take a 10Bit BT.2020 video that contains HDR metadata (SMPTE 2084, 2086, 2094 etc.) and convert it to 10Bit BT.2020 without the HDR metadata, will the colours remain the same? I believe that the HDR metadata is used by the display to adjust the light intensities or something along those lines to produce varying colours. And 10bit allows for 1024 shades per colour channel and since the source material is in 10bit BT.2020 to begin with, the colours should still be preserved. I'm just unsure about the effects of the HDR metadata because I feel that the video should still look really good without the HDR metadata.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Without those meta data your player may assume wrong colorspace.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did some additional research and learned that the 10bit BT.2020 video uses the WCG. Since HDR and WCG are different, if I remove the HDR metadata, I will still get the nice colours that come with the BT.2020 colour space but the luminance aspect and the brightness of the image won't come through so the video will still look different.
    Quote Quote  
  4. tone mapping should be applied during the conversion to get not so dull colors.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote