VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have an .ass subtitle file which was made by using aegisub. the subtitle file has beautiful effects but because of that the file is huge. it has 30,000 lines and it is 29mb

some of the lines are repeated as you can see in this pic:-
    [Attachment 52576 - Click to enlarge]

the subtitle file is filled with lines like that. is it possible to clean the subtitle file and delete all those repeated lines without damaging the subtitle effects? if yes then how?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried SubtitleEdit to combine duplicate lines?
    Tools > Merge lines with same text...

or

Tools > Merge lines with same time codes...

Then Save as...
    Drop down box Sub Station Alpha
    Quote Quote  
  3. i tried it. it didnt work. i sent you a private message
    Last edited by cns00; 3rd Apr 2020 at 12:01.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don’t use ASS subtitles so I know next to nothing about them.
    Your subtitle was unable to load into SubtitleEdit, as you are probably aware, because it was too large. I was able to load it into MS Word, WordPad and also NotePad++. Big deal, these are not subtitle programs so there isn’t much one can do with them that I am aware of.

I did copy all the lines up to and including time code 00:01:50:080 (34 data lines) and saved them in a separate ASS file that I was able to load into SubtitleEdit. I then chose ‘Merge same time codes...’ and noticed all the ones selected had different text. I them tried ‘Merge same text...’ and only found two duplicate sets. I doubt combining duplicate lines would reduce your file to a reasonable size, but I do not know.

You could load the file into MS Word and a Word macro on the file to remove a duplicate line. I have written word macros before but I don’t do it all the time and have to struggle a little bit when I do. If you have programming experience you could probably write a program to do it also.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Better get a simple subtitle, this .ass contains karaoke and signs, in karaoke the words are divided into syllables for each line, how could you remove that without spoiling the file.

But if you insist ... you can remove the signs, E.g. in Aegisub "Subtitle"->"Select Lines", "Contains" "TS" in "Field" "Actor". Then hit ctrl+del. (you must have a backup .ass)

In the end export in Aegisub using File->Export Subtitles and save...
    Last edited by sekininsha; 3rd Apr 2020 at 20:03.
    責任者-MDX
    Quote Quote  
  6. ...
    Last edited by sneaker; 4th Apr 2020 at 01:42. Reason: misread
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Moralez View Post
    Have you tried SubtitleEdit to combine duplicate lines?
    Originally Posted by cns00 View Post
    i tried it. it didnt work.
    Is this a bug in SubtitleEdit?

https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/issues/4083
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Originally Posted by Moralez View Post
    Have you tried SubtitleEdit to combine duplicate lines?
    Originally Posted by cns00 View Post
    i tried it. it didnt work.
    Is this a bug in SubtitleEdit?

https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/issues/4083
    i thought that i can delete some repeated lines. i cant and if i do then it will spoil
    Quote Quote  
  9. Subtitle Edit author has provided a new beta in the github issue I linked to above. Please test if that beta can clean via "Tools > Merge lines with same text" as expected.
    Quote Quote  
  10. i can't merge or delete repeated lines. if i do that then the text effects will spoil. english text is covering the japanese text which shows on the screen like if there is text on tv or on a signboard and repetition is needed to make the text effect

the only thing that i can do is completely delete each set of repeated text which makes a text effect and i put lines on the top of the screen instead of text effect
    Quote Quote