VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, they're many standalone std definition dvd recorders ( I have a Liteon);
    BUT,

are there any standalone Blu Ray recorders so I can archive my Tivo Roamio DVR shows??

Anyway I can do this?

or transfer the recordings to my desktop and convert to mkv or something?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can afford to part with almost $3200, this Blu-ray recorder was discussed in another thread: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1178367-REG/jvc_sr_hd2700us_blu_ray_disc_hdd.html

Unlike the other Blu-ray recorders that I have seen for sale in the USA in the past, this one can record HDMI input but of course that HDMI input must not be HDCP protected. However some reviewers complained about it not being user-friendly and JVC's poor customer support.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wow, bloody hell.....$3200 !
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post
    Wow, bloody hell.....$3200 !
    It went on sale overnight. Its price went down to about $3000.

That Blu-ray recorder is a professional device for videographers, intended to record the output from cameras. There has never been and probably never will be a consumer Blu-ray recorder made for recording TV in N. America. Even if there was a Blu-ray recorder made for recording TV in N. America, it probably wouldn't have the ability to record from an HDMI input. The consumer Blu-ray recorders that I have seen which are made for other parts of the world only record from their internal TV tuner and from standard definition analog input.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use to have WMC anymore and I would record my OTA HD .

I have windows 10 now, so no more WMC

Is there a way I can record directly to my PC like with WMC but this time for digital HD cable. I would a HD tuner from my cable company right?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by peggypwr1 View Post
    I use to have WMC anymore and I would record my OTA HD .

I have windows 10 now, so no more WMC

Is there a way I can record directly to my PC like with WMC but this time for digital HD cable. I would a HD tuner from my cable company right?
    There might be a way. If the company that provides your cable TV service marks all the channels that you want to record "copy freely", NextPVR with $25/year guide data from Schedules Direct is a good substitute for WMC. (Unlike WMC, NextPVR won't record or allow you to view channels that are marked "copy once" or "copy never".) NextPVR works pretty well with the HDHomerun Prime, a digital cable tuner that accepts a CableCARD like your TiVo and is capable of recording 3 channels at a time. The HDHomerun Prime isn't currently in production but they are often available on eBay. Just so you know, both WMC and NextPVR are more work to set up for digital cable than for OTA TV, mostly because of the 100+ channels available in a typical cable package, but there are some other differences in the setup procedure as well.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 3rd Apr 2020 at 22:35.
    Quote Quote