VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone! Found a new problem when backing up dvds. I was trying to back up the Matrix Trilogy, and I was able to back up Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, but the original Matrix could not be read by two of my laptop's optical drives. They both acted like there was no DVD in the drive! I placed it in my DVD player and it worked fine!
    I am wondering if the age of the disc made it hard to read on the drive, or if windows 10 somehow made it hard for the drive to read the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried cleaning the disc ??
    might also try cleaning your optical drives
    also try uninstalling them, restart your computer and let windows reinstall the drives.
    Last edited by october262; 2nd Apr 2020 at 22:16.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    october262, I wiped both the optical drives and the disc with a microfiber cloth, and it did no good. I would believe it was the disc except it played in my DVD player. If more discs fail to be read I may uninstall and reinstall the drive. I am hesitant to do so, for fear I screw my computer up. Thanks for your suggestion!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's your computer disc drive that can't read the disc,i had the same issue but my other disc drive could read the same disc,just get another driver such a a blu-ray burner,they are cheap enough.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    It's your computer disc drive that can't read the disc,i had the same issue but my other disc drive could read the same disc,just get another driver such a a blu-ray burner,they are cheap enough.
    Thanks johns0. If I come across any other DVDs that I want to back up and have this issue I will get another DVD burner. I wanted to know if this problem was the computer OS that had this issue, or if anyone had this issue with a particular disc that played fine on a DVD player but not on an optical drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not try Anydvd trial or suchlike and set drive option to Region free(R0)! Might work on your laptops. I had a similar issue once and this solved it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I tried both passkey lite and Anydvd and neither one saw a disc in my drive. I just noticed something peculiar on the read side of the disc. Usually the dvd is silver, this one appears gold or copper in color. Also, in the center, there is a film in the center where the disc pops into place, and part of the film is worn off in place. I wonder if these two factors caused the disc to be unreadable by my computers's optical drives.
    Quote Quote