VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Trying to covert miniDV tapes from an older camera (Sony TRV900 - photo below) over to my 2017 iMac.
    I've been out of the game for a while, and unfortunately misplaced all the chords I used to edit/upload with years ago.
    I'm not seeing any clear & obvious solutions online that don't involve purchasing anywhere from 2-5 chords/adapters,
    so I wanted to see if anybody on this forum had ideas to help me streamline the process and save some $$.

So, I'm starting with the 4-pin firewire port on the actual camera and need to get to the Thunderbolt 3 port on my iMac.
    [Attachment 52572 - Click to enlarge]

Do the newer USB-3 ports carry video?? If it's not HD, would/could those ports be useful?
    [Attachment 52573 - Click to enlarge]

Any help, ideas, assistance on helping me figure out this ENTIRE puzzle would be huge.

I APPRECIATE AND RESPECT YOUR TIME>>>

Shamus
    Quote Quote  
  2. As I recall, the ONLY combination that works requires several connectors.

An Apple Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 adaptor

Apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 USB-C adaptor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    don't hold your breath.

scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    As I recall, the ONLY combination that works requires several connectors.

An Apple Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 adaptor

Apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 USB-C adaptor.
    This guy (YouTube video) demonstrated the above setup with a Windows machine equipped with Thunderbolt 3. He successfully connected a Canon HV40 and was able to capture HDV video via HDVSplit. (Gee, I did not know Thunderbolt 3 was available on Windows PCs, I lived under a rock for the last 5-7 years.) I hope you don't mind if I repeat your list with male/female designations... although it is hard to figure out whether Firewire 800 are male or female Apple's genuine adapters are crazy expensive for a piece of wire, but he says that non-genuine may not work. I know that for automotive installations, each wired Apple CarPlay socket comes with a chip that performs the handshake, so maybe here they do the same.
    • Firewire 400 4-pin male to Firewire 400 6-pin female
    • Firewire 400 6-pin male to Firewire 800
    • Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 male -- $30
    • Thunderbolt 2 female to Thunderbolt 3 male (shaped like USB-C) -- $50

And this guy (YouTube video) demonstrated the above setup with a 2019 iMac equipped with Thunderbolt 3, and with an older MBP equipped with Thunderbolt 2 (no need to spend extra $50 for T2 to T3 dongle, also he used a single FW400 4-pin to FW800 cable). He successfully imported HDV video from a Sony HDR-HC1 HDV camcorder (such a sexy looking and premium-feeling machine, I owned one. Sadly, shoots in interlaced mode only).
    • Firewire 400 4-pin male to Firewire 800
    • Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 male -- $30
    • Thunderbolt 2 female to Thunderbolt 3 male (shaped like USB-C) -- $50
    Last edited by ConsumerDV; 13th Apr 2022 at 16:08.
    Quote Quote