Thread
  1. i am using vlc media player to watch my movies

i have video A which is:-
    [Attachment 52548 - Click to enlarge]

and the resolution of video A is:-
    [Attachment 52549 - Click to enlarge]

when i press F to make it full screen i will get this:-
    [Attachment 52550 - Click to enlarge]

as you can see the video is nearly full screen. i need to press A once to make it completely full screen and i will get this:-
    [Attachment 52551 - Click to enlarge]

i also have video B which is:-
    [Attachment 52552 - Click to enlarge]

and the resolution of video B is:-
    [Attachment 52553 - Click to enlarge]

when i press F to make it full screen i will get this:-
    [Attachment 52554 - Click to enlarge]

as you can see the video is not properly full screen and there is black blank space on top and on the bottom. i need to press A once to make it completely full screen and i will get this:-
    [Attachment 52555 - Click to enlarge]

as you can see the head became warped and stretched. how come in video A it is still ok when i made it completely full screen and it got warped and stretched in video B when i made it completely full screen?

how do i make video B completely full screen without warping and stretching it?
    Last edited by cns00; 31st Mar 2020 at 06:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Short answer is you can not.

For perfect full screen for both videos the frame height would have to be 720 pixels. Video 1 is 688 pixels and video 2 is even smaller at 544 pixels.

So both are being stretched for total full screen although video 1 has less visual affect since it is closer to 720. Both should be played with the black bars, which are called letter-boxing, to have them displayed correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. see this video:-
    [Attachment 52556 - Click to enlarge]

it is 1920x800. when i did full screen i got this:-
    [Attachment 52557 - Click to enlarge]

it's also letterbox. why?

also i have cyberlink powerdvd 18. i played video B in it. there is an expand button:-
    [Attachment 52558 - Click to enlarge]

when i pressed it i got this:-
    [Attachment 52559 - Click to enlarge]

it made completely full screen without warping. can i have the same effect in vlc media player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first video is full HD so that would require 1080 pixels against the 800 you have. So, again, you get the letter-boxing.

The second video has been zoomed to fill the screen and retain the aspect ratio. So if you are happy to lose detail especially left and right of the frame then that is the way to go. But if you want to see all the picture you have to accept the letter-boxing. Same as when you watch a film on the tv expecially wide-sceen 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 you will see the bars unless the tv company has pan/scanned it and, again, you lose information.

Can vlc to this ? Not sure. It does have a crop feature from within playback but, again, you risk losing information.
    Quote Quote  
  5. so what is the solution? accept the letterbox?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I had made it clear.

Your choices are simple. Accept the letter-box (correct way to view). Stretch the video (not correct). Zoom or crop (lose detail on the sides)
    Quote Quote  
  7. i'm sorry but exactly why am i getting letterbox? is it because of how the video was encoded?

or is it because of my laptop screen? you said "The first video is full HD so that would require 1080 pixels against the 800 you have". what did you mean?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your screen has, probably, a dimension of 1920 * 1080 pixels (width * height). Any video height less than 1080 pixels and the player add these black bars to keep the aspect ratio or as you put it they way the video was encoded. Look at the screens you posted and you see the dimensions of each video. Not a single one of those is 1920 * 1080.

Your last video had 800 pixels. 1080 - 800 = 280. Or bars of 140 pixels top and 140 pixels bottom.

Even if the screen is not 1920 * 1080 it will be 16:9. Not one of the videos is true 16:9 >> check them in a calculator >> 1920 * 800 = 2.40:1 (one of the examples I stated above)
    Quote Quote  
  9. i found this:-
    https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/

thus if the video has one the true 16:9 resolutions then it will be completely full screen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You do not need a web-page that simply does basic maths.

I am finished with this since you either can not read nor wish to read.

I'll let others try to explain in more clearer terms if that is possible.

But for the sake of total clarity I will state the following:

True 16:9 is 1.78 (rounded):1

Your videos (in order of appearance):

1280 * 688 = 1.86:1 (probably 1.85):1

1228 * 544 = 2.36( probably 2.35):1

1920 * 800 = 2.40:1

I will add this. Many of a certain age (I am one who was pissed off when a film did not show the true display) simply can not accept the bars either top/bottom or left/right (we have not even ventured into non-widescreen sources). They think that every video should be the full width/height of their viewing platform beit pc/laptop/tv and then complain (no fault of their own of course) that people or objects do not look right.

So no more replies from me.
    Quote Quote  
  11. None of the movies you posted is supposed to fill a 16:9 screen. The were all displayed as they should before you "pressed A". Movies come a variety of aspect ratios. Outside of made-for-TV content little is shot at 16:9.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

The exact same things happens at movie theaters. That's why they have motorized curtains to cover the unused portion of the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  12. sorry. i didnt mean to upset you

all this is new to me and i didn't know exactly what is happening and this is the first time i heard about true 16:9 resolution

you said i didnt read. i did read. thanks for the explanations
    Quote Quote  
  13. If you don't mind losing some picture from the sides you can zoom in. It's easy to do with MPC-HC.
    9 on the numeric pad zooms, 5 resets, and the other keys move the picture around. It can stretch too, but I hate that. I've no idea what options VLC has. There might be a list of keyboard shortcuts in it's preferences.

This example is 4:3, so zooming in loses picture top and bottom. Personally I prefer watching this one at 4:3 so it's just an example. The picture was moved down a bit to cut more from the bottom, then zoomed in.
    Image Attached Images    
    Last edited by hello_hello; 31st Mar 2020 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote