VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello All! I've used MKVMerge for many years. I don't know why this has changed, but after the last update or two it SEEMS like when I mux a file to my usual chosen destination folder, the entire filename is not being retained. I've checked the options about destination file, and I can't seem to figure out which combination to use as none of the ones I've tried has fixed this.

Up until now, every time I would mux a file, it would ALWAYS keep the entire filename in the destination directory. Now, it appears to truncate it. For example, I might have a file names 'Spaghetti Western 1080 1968 Italian.mkv', but after I mux it, the rendered file is something like, 'Spaghetti Western 1080.mkv' I've tried different options, but nothing seems to retain the entire filename.

Any suggestions? Has something changed, have I changed something unknowingly,

or is it just too much...

[Attachment 52531 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not happening here.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    not happening here.
    Heh... what does that mean...? So, when I am cataloging and backing up my Blu-rays to my HDDs and I set the name of the files to correspond with the titles of the Blu-rays with whatever additional information that I wish to include in the file name, year, resolution, language, etc., why is it that suddenly it seems like MKVMerge is not retaining the entire file name as I have named it...?

In other words, say I have used BDRB to back up a Blu-ray of mine. In the course of that I will likely want to create a file name, especially like in what I was mentioning above, the Blu-ray title could have both an English and an Italian name. I might want to include both or just one of them. So, am I missing something with MKVMerge or have I perhaps inadvertently changed something in the preferences that would cause the file names to be truncated?

I THINK that I've only noticed this recently, likely with one of the recent updates I'm guessing. So, if anyone has any thoughts or input, I would sincerely appreciate any suggestions, thank you kindly! Image
    [Attachment 52532 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. There have been some changes to destination file name handling of MKVToolNix GUI recently. If you use the CLI (mkvmerge.exe) through something like BDRB those shouldn't affect you, though.

If you can reproduce an error, try:
    1. Test latest continuous build
    2. Check if it's a problem of the CLI or GUI
    3. Report it to the author. https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    There have been some changes to destination file name handling of MKVToolNix GUI recently. If you use the CLI (mkvmerge.exe) through something like BDRB those shouldn't affect you, though.

If you can reproduce an error, try:
    1. Test latest continuous build
    2. Check if it's a problem of the CLI or GUI
    3. Report it to the author. https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues
    Thank you sneaker! It's not specifically when I use BDRB, because it has that built in. But, say, if I want to go back and add or subtract an audio track with the MKVMerge GUI separately, then that is when the original file name is not being retained. As you say, perhaps there have been some changes to the GUI recently. I mean, it's certainly not the end of the world (well, it actually kinda IS right now,.... but, not because of MKVMerge) I can easily just either cut and paste the original file name into MKVMerge before muxing or type it in, but it's just that I never had to before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting... I tried the latest continuous build and it seemed to keep the entire file name. One thing I DID notice was that one file appeared to have added something to the file name that wasn't there, a prefix of sorts. So, I checked with MediaInfo, and under a tag called 'Movie Name' I noticed that MediaInfo showed the added prefix! So, MKVMerge simply read that I guess through MediaInfo and carried it through. But, when I tried another file where there was no entry in MediaInfo for 'Movie Name', the entire proper file name carried through to the destination file.

I was never even aware of that information being stored/read in MediaInfo where it differed from the actual file name. That is a new one on me
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    So, I checked with MediaInfo, and under a tag called 'Movie Name' I noticed that MediaInfo showed the added prefix! So, MKVMerge simply read that I guess through MediaInfo and carried it through.
    You can turn that off via preferences->Multiplexer->Destination file name. ("Use title as the base name if a title is set")

P.S.: MKVToolNix never uses MediaInfo in any way, it has its own logic for reading attributes/tags.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    So, I checked with MediaInfo, and under a tag called 'Movie Name' I noticed that MediaInfo showed the added prefix! So, MKVMerge simply read that I guess through MediaInfo and carried it through.
    You can turn that off via preferences->Multiplexer->Destination file name. ("Use title as the base name if a title is set")

P.S.: MKVToolNix never uses MediaInfo in any way, it has its own logic for reading attributes/tags.
    Thanks Bro! Ah, I see... FWIW, not that I know anything, but under the Multiplexer options, there is a place for the path to the MediaInfo GUI. Yeah, I believe what you mention about the destination setting is the default and that is the way it is set. Just must be some data tag or something within the file that is read. Never saw that before. Well, as long as it is not leaving stuff out of the original file name, that is a definite improvement.

Thanks again mate!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    Thanks Bro! Ah, I see... FWIW, not that I know anything, but under the Multiplexer options, there is a place for the path to the MediaInfo GUI.
    Ah, I forgot that. You can right-click a file in the Multiplexer and click "Open file in MediaInfo". So it's just some extra helper of the GUI, but not used by the CLI. So my last post wasn't fully correct, sorry.

Yeah, I believe what you mention about the destination setting is the default and that is the way it is set. Just must be some data tag or something within the file that is read. Never saw that before.
    The feature was only added last November. I'm actually glad I read this thread because I'm sure I would've stumbled over that myself at some point in the future.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Bro! Ah, I see... FWIW, not that I know anything, but under the Multiplexer options, there is a place for the path to the MediaInfo GUI.
    Ah, I forgot that. You can right-click a file in the Multiplexer and click "Open file in MediaInfo". So it's just some extra helper of the GUI, but not used by the CLI. So my last post wasn't fully correct, sorry.

Yeah, I believe what you mention about the destination setting is the default and that is the way it is set. Just must be some data tag or something within the file that is read. Never saw that before.
    The feature was only added last November. I'm actually glad I read this thread because I'm sure I would've stumbled over that myself at some point in the future.
    No,no, I really appreciate your help, thank you! So, just so I understand this clearly, this 'new' feature you are talking about, is it that MediaInfo has that data field 'Movie Name' in it, which I've not seen before and at least in one instance carried through MKVMerge and was added to the destination file name as a prefix, or is it a 'new' feature specifically that you are talking about that is in MKVMerge? I'm, still kind of confused as to exactly what this new feature is, and how it might affect the destination file name, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. The "new" feature is MKVToolNix GUI using the "Title" metadata from an mkv file for choosing the destination file name. (The "Title" element itself is not new.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "new" feature is MKVToolNix GUI using the "Title" metadata from an mkv file for choosing the destination file name. (The "Title" element itself is not new.)
    Thanks Bro! Image
    [Attachment 52568 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For whomever may be remotely interested...

It appears that the newest version of MKVMerge has fixed this issue. I believe it is mentioned in the 'What's New' for this version. I just muxed a couple of files and the entire file name seemed to be preserved in the destination file.

I didn't THINK I was imagining it...
    Quote Quote