VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Yay!! I finally figured it out. Worked like a charm. Got all my original mp4's slowed to 18fps. Thank you Jagabo!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unfortunately that's the best quality that I will be able to achieve with this cheaper base model Wolverine. I've heard mixed reviews on it and it's generally regarded as "not great". Thank you John for the advice on finding the original transfers. I'm glad I found them.. They look a little nicer than the re-encoded versions that I messed with. I would still like to clean them up the best I can. I have approximately 20 X 4 minute reel transfers of family footage. Any suggestions for noise removal?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by paulmolive View Post
    Any suggestions for noise removal?
    I gave you the answer and the links in post #8.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by paulmolive View Post
    Any suggestions for noise removal?
    I gave you the answer and the links in post #8.
    Ah yes.. Sorry. Thanks again John for your help
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't have time to review your camcorders, but one of the most important specs for reducing noise is the size of the sensor. Bigger sensor = lower noise.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Having been using the wolverine since 2017 I can tell you that there is very little you can do, in fact the less you do to a scan, the better.

Any re encoding is going to have a negative effect.

The compression is so heavy and the upscaling of the images to produce so called 720p is awful.

The wolverine does not scan in 1440x1080, which is what you get in the resulting video file, at 30fps, it scans at something like 720 x 540 then electronically doubles the image size to give you 1440x1080 and uses what is basically a car dash cam in time lapse mode with a tiny little 8mm lens, to create the video.

So from the word go, you are at a disadvantage trying to do anything to improve it.

Best guess, change the exposure setting for the dark part of the scan, but that will leave you will a few segments of video instead of one long clip.

To overcome that and the frame rate problem, you can use MYMP4BOX Gui to join the segments of video together and change the frame rate, without re encoding in the traditional sense of a NLE.
    Last edited by super8rescue; 25th Sep 2020 at 15:40.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    Having been using the wolverine since 2017 I can tell you that there is very little you can do, in fact the less you do to a scan, the better.
    I don't think his question has anything to do with film transfer. Perhaps you were answering a different post?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    Having been using the wolverine since 2017 I can tell you that there is very little you can do, in fact the less you do to a scan, the better.
    I don't think his question has anything to do with film transfer. Perhaps you were answering a different post?

I was replying to the original question about trying to improve the quality of a wolverine scan, so no, I was not answering a different post

Originally Posted by paulmolive View Post
    I recently converted my old 8mm family movies with a Wolverine Moviemaker (Standard Version) The results are ok, but some low light parts are grainy, noisy. I've tried a few things such as Adobe Premiere Pro (Neat video) etc. with no success.
    Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. It's fairly complicated lol. Anyone have any success fixing this issue? Any other programs or apps that will help improve the quality?
    Last edited by super8rescue; 25th Sep 2020 at 15:55.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by super8rescue View Post

I was replying to the original question about trying to improve the quality of a wolverine scan, so no, I was not answering a different post
    Yes, I understand what you were doing, but you are answering the wrong person.

The last post from the OP, paulmolive, was in April. That post DID concern the Wolverine scanner, and I attempted to help him with that. However, he has not posted since April, so this thread has been moribund until the slightly OT post by Grunterh yesterday. It is that post that I answered, and which you ignored.

Unless you intended to jump back in and answer a post from April, then I do think you posted incorrectly.

However, I am not a moderator, so go ahead and keep posting. Maybe the OP is still trying to fix his problem from five months ago.
    Quote Quote