VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't remember how to do this, as I have a media box that plays all formats and I don't have to reencode all videos to avi, so I've forgotten how to do it in VirtualDub (specifically VirtualDub MP3 Freeze). I've done net searches and no answer. I'm on Windows 10 now and can't access the help file as I'm using an older, favourite version of VirtualDub but they're all pretty much the same (my favourite out of all the versions I have is VD MP3 Freeze).

Does anyone know how to edit the metadata? That's what I believe it's called; when you play a file, most of them have empty metadata fields so the name showing in your player is the same as the file name. But I just got 10 files that someone actually wrote in their way of naming files into the text information. I looked all over but couldn't figure out how to do it and just can't remember.

If some kind soul can point me in the right direction, would be most grateful. I seem to remember it was something easy to do in VirtualDub and didn't involve further re-encoding. Just straight video and audio pass to get the information changed.

Thanks so much in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    unfortunately there are 100s of different types of avi. nothing will edit metadata for the general term avi. have you tried right clicking on the file and selecting properties? may be your best bet.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!

I kept trying to figure this out with no result until now. Your reply didn't help insofar as finding the solution, but it made me more determined as I know that I did do this once before many years ago and quite extensively on one project. And it's this easy with the right Virtualdub:

FILE > SET TEXT INFORMATION ... > popup box: click in "field" that shows "Title" in name and the box where the name is becomes editable. Simply select and erase what is in the name then save as new avi via direct stream copy of the video and audio. That easy.

It was because my favourite version, VirtualDub MP3 Freeze doesn't seem to have this option (at least not anywhere in the menus, that I can see). It was in the portable VirtualDub that this option was found.

So I deleted the existing "name" in the metadata and re-saved via direct stream of video and audio, and, voilą, displayed name is in same format as filename and so when I sort in the library of VLC, since it sorts to the metadata name that is the same as the filename, files don't play out of order.

Thanks for the help, even if somewhat indirectly! It did the trick. Appreciate it.
    Last edited by Diana (Cda); 29th Mar 2020 at 19:57. Reason: Put "Resolved" in title.
    Quote Quote