VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a source that has a pretty bad case of halos. I can do fairly decent at getting rid of the white with dehalo_alpha(rx=1.9, ry=1.9, darkstr=0.4, lowsens=0, highsens=50, ss=1.0), but there's black lines, and or dark artifacts along with them, and I cannot seem to clean those.

Here is a couple screenshots from the source
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/RUvU5wx.png
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/O2eRGvO.png

You can see what I am referring to best if you look at characters mouth area, and lips.
    Anyone have any suggestions on how I clean those darker artifacts around the halo's as well?
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 27th Mar 2020 at 11:43.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Those are secondary halos -- halos of the halos. Here's what I came up with:

Code:
    Spline36Resize(width/2, height/2)
    dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=2.0, brightstr=1.5, lowsens=0, highsens=0)
    FastLineDarkenMod()
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=src.width, fheight=src.height)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.5)
    I only looked at the second image.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Mar 2020 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    finedehalo2() is meant to specifically address the dark halos on the outside of bright halos.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can someone give me the avsi for finedehalo2? No matter what I try, mine keeps saying there's a problem with line9 and it will not work at all.

EDIT: Nevermind. It wont work by putting loadplugin in the script for whatever reason. It does however work when I put it into the autoload folder. Im not sure why using loadplugin gives me problems. It was doing the same thing when I tried to load fastlinedarkenmod as well. I had to put them both into autoload.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 28th Mar 2020 at 06:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. FineDehalo is a script, not a dll. Use Import(), not LoadPlugin().
    Quote Quote  
  6. This is about the best I could do with FineDehalo() and FineDehalo2()

Code:
    BilinearResize(1440, 612)
    FineDehalo(rx=2.0, ry=2.0, thmi=0, brightstr=1.5)
    FineDehalo2()
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    FineDehalo2() is reducing the residual dark lines but it's also creating some mild bright halos.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    This is about the best I could do with FineDehalo() and FineDehalo2()

Code:
    BilinearResize(1440, 612)
    FineDehalo(rx=2.0, ry=2.0, thmi=0, brightstr=1.5)
    FineDehalo2()
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    FineDehalo2() is reducing the residual dark lines but it's also creating some mild bright halos.

Findehalo2 is best used in this fashion:

FineDehalo2(hconv = "-1 -1 1 1 40 1 1 -1 -1", vconv = "-1 -1 1 1 40 1 1 -1 -1")

Adjust the positive 1's in the hconv and vconv parameters upward if you need more dark halo removal strength, but usually you want to keep things symmetric. So, something like this if you need more horizontal dark halo removal and just light vertical halo removal:

FineDehalo2(hconv = "-1 -1 5 5 40 5 5 -1 -1", vconv = "-1 -1 1 1 40 1 1 -1 -1")

I wouldn't go much above 7 unless you absolutely have to. I've gone to 9 before, but watch out for side effects. The "40" value can be adjusted downward if you need a wider spread of the affected halo areas.

And yes, it can cause some very mild bright halos, which is why I'd advise to use it first, before dehalo_alpha(), and then compensate.
    Last edited by SaurusX; 28th Mar 2020 at 08:41.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @Jagabo
    That certainly cleaned them that's for sure, but it horribly ruined the video, and smeared everything to death. Id rather keep the black artifacts than do that excessive amount of detail loss and smearing lol.
    https://slow.pics/c/HfEU3AAi

@SaurusX
    It did a little bit of cleaning, but it's not all that noticeable. What is VERY noticeable is this filter is adding white halo like glowing lines along the darker lines and other places.
    https://slow.pics/c/dktjv72p
    Look at the guys eyebrows for easiest viewing when flipping between the comparison images. Its doing that just above his belt over the white shirt. It gets a white glowing area added in when this filter is put in. It does this as well on several other places, even when I use it before dehalo alpha.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    @SaurusX
    It did a little bit of cleaning, but it's not all that noticeable. What is VERY noticeable is this filter is adding white halo like glowing lines along the darker lines and other places.
    Look at the guys eyebrows for easiest viewing when flipping between the comparison images. Its doing that just above his belt over the white shirt. It gets a white glowing area added in when this filter is put in. It does this as well on several other places, even when I use it before dehalo alpha.
    I don't need to look. I know what you're talking about. Check my message above for proper usage. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    FineDehalo is a script, not a dll. Use Import(), not LoadPlugin().
    Ah, that explains it. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by SaurusX View Post
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    @SaurusX
    I don't need to look. I know what you're talking about. Check my message above for proper usage. Good luck!
    Yeah, that reply was not up when I was making mine and I did not see it until after I posted the reply. I will tinker with those settings and see what I can get. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yeah SaurusX those settings you suggested were much better. I barely even notice what it does introduce compared to before without comparison to source.
    The amount of glowing introduced is further reduced with these settings ((hconv = "-1 0 1 1 40 1 1 0 -1", vconv = "0 -1 1 1 40 1 1 -1 0)) It also kept lines slightly more in place.

With ideas from both you and Jagabo this was about the best middle ground I could come up with. I think it looks much better.

https://slow.pics/c/rqycwasC

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 25th Mar 2022 at 19:01.
    Quote Quote