VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    If it's just changing the container format, and the file remains unchanged, why would it increase in size?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Short Answer: No

Longer answer: It may depend on the encoding of the flv.

Even longer answer: mp4boxgui (at least my version) would not accept flv as an input for muxing. But I was able to do it with TubeDigger and the resultant mp4 was actually slightly smaller than the source. I think this program uses ffmpeg so it should be possible from the command line.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Remuxing flv(avc,aac) to mp4(avc,aac) might de-/increase the file size but only slightly due to different headers of the containers.
    -> How much of an increase are we speaking of?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by 90sTV View Post
    If it's just changing the container format, and the file remains unchanged, why would it increase in size?
    DB83 and Selur are very experienced in this subject and expect good advices from them, but I'd like to cut in as someone whose understanding is simpler, but might help.

How did you change the container? What program did you use? Are you sure you set the audio and video codec to copy/pass-through or something similar before clicking go? Some programs especially the transcoding ones have the option to just change the container, but you need manually set copy/pass-through. If not they might re-code audio and video to codecs more suitable for specific container. Even more - they can re-code them using the same codec, but different bitrate etc. and thus making the new file much bigger/smaller.

What operation system exactly do you use?

If the file is unchanged (what does it mean actually?), why you're saying it's changed? Did you checked what's inside .flv and .mp4 (with for example MediaInfo)?

A few days ago I've spotted revived Video Container Changer:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/Video-Container-Changer

If you on Windows, give it a go. It uses quite old ffmpeg, but if you replace it with a new version from zeranoe site, it seems to work too.
    Last edited by AllisOne; 27th Mar 2020 at 09:53.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    Originally Posted by 90sTV View Post
    DB83 and Selur are very experienced in this subject and expect good advices from them, but I'd like to cut in as someone whose understanding is simpler, but might help.

How did you change the container? What program did you use? Are you sure you set the audio and video codec to copy/pass-through or something similar before clicking go? Some programs especially the transcoding ones have the option to just change the container, but you need manually set copy/pass-through. If not they might re-code audio and video to codecs more suitable for specific container. Even more - they can re-code them using the same codec, but different bitrate etc. and thus making the new file much bigger/smaller.

What operation system exactly do you use?

If the file is unchanged (what does it mean actually?), why you're saying it's changed? Did you checked what's inside .flv and .mp4 (with for example MediaInfo)?

A few days ago I've spotted revived Video Container Changer:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/Video-Container-Changer

If you on Windows, give it a go. It uses quite old ffmpeg, but if you replace it with a new version from zeranoe site, it seems to work too.
    I'm using a Mac. I used VideoProc, and it has a box that was checked next to "Auto Copy." For the explanation of that, it says, "Neither the video nor the audio needs to be re-encoded. This will be super fast and retain full video and audio quality."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well mediainfo is also available for a mac so upload a text mode report of the flv and the mp4.

What you should also have stated right at the beginning is your useage of a mac. This is a Windows sub-forum and you might get more help of you were to contact a mod to get the topic moved to the mac section of the forum.

Even so, the mediainfo reports will still assist.
    Quote Quote