VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm planning on buying a Panasonic DMR recorder with HDD (some later model, like EH575) and change the HDD to SSD (looking for recorders with sata interface).
    Is this possible, have someone tried it?
    (HDD change is possible in lots of recorders, only formatting is needed by the recorder itself for it's own file system)
    My father got an DMR-EH55 or similar, but the hard disk is getting noisy in it. I'm thinking about refurbishing a used one, with the above written SSD and a new cooling fan so it will be quiet as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    according to this - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/3115118-panasonic-dmr-eh...ower-draw.html it should work fine, you may need an ide to sata adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Great, thanks the info! I'll get the ingredients and build it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Look @ the manual and/or mfr website for info: you don't want to put in a drive larger than the largest drivespace expected by their firmware, otherwise it's wasted space and wasted money (unless you plan on repurposing later).

Example: some recorders expect 320GB max. Going to 500GB drive? It'll repartition & reformat to 320GB, leaving the other space unformatted and inaccessible to the machine, even if you try to format it yourself.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tied several IDE to SATA adapters.

A TiVO thread eventually taught me only the Marvell based adapters will reliably work on almost anything.

Most adapters today are JMicron based and do not have the full SCSI command set which some recorders expect a drive to respond to.. so they don't work.

The down side is the JMicron base adapters have flooded the market and are available very cheap for less than $4 usd. The Marvell are often $20 usd or more.

It changes your way of thinking.

Startech sells both kinds, the cheap JMicron and the more expensive Marvell, so does Soonlin and many other places. You have to be careful.

And you have to find a trusted dealer, sometimes they advertise Marvell chips, but send you a JMicron chip adapter..
    Quote Quote