VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone.
    I haven't been here in a few years. I recently have been attempting to watch DVDs that I haven't ripped yet, and was driven nuts by the huge discrepancy in music versus dialogue. I use Kodi predominately to watch my shows and movies on my Android box, and since Kodi has a setting to adjust dynamic range compression, I figured I would attempt to rip and convert again. Sadly I forgot the settings I used, as well as the program I used to do it. I tried MakeMKV yesterday, and was amazed at how fast it ripped Avatar, the DVD edition. The file size is about 6-7gb, just too big for my taste. I was looking through the posts here and was looking into Vidcoder. Some of the posts recommended I use the high profile setting, but I can't find it. Since the posts were a few years old, I was curious if there was new setting they have created that would be the same. If it is there, if someone wouldn't mind pointing it out to me, it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The profile level settings in Vidcoder are on the video encoding tab, bottom left. Set them both to automatic
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, Since there was no true default setting, I went into Android 720 setting, went to video encoding, and set it to automatic as suggested. I also changed it from mp4 to mkv, and the surround from stereo to surround pro logic II. I will try this today. Thanks for your suggestion. It is more difficult when they give you too many options for settings! LOL
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stargatesuite View Post
    Okay, Since there was no true default setting, I went into Android 720 setting, went to video encoding, and set it to automatic as suggested. I also changed it from mp4 to mkv, and the surround from stereo to surround pro logic II. I will try this today. Thanks for your suggestion. It is more difficult when they give you too many options for settings! LOL
    Visible settings are basic, but the esoteric stuff is mostly hidden. The settings related to profile/level may affect your
    encode because they limit resolution and bitrate - that's why I suggest auto
    For quality adjustments see these two. Set "constant quality" and start at about 18. As you move it to the left,
    bitrate increases, file gets bigger and you may see an improvement up to a certain point.

For the second adjustment, encoder settings, medium is the default and a good place to start. The encoder uses various techniques
    and as you move it to the right or left, you slow down/speed up the run time as more/less things are done to improve the quality
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vc1.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	52442  

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the screenshot! I'm a visual learner, so now I see we are using the same version of Vidcoder. I found those settings in the screenshot. I left the constant quality at 21, and the other setting at Medium. Now it dropped down to 2.19 gb! Video plays well, looks close to the same quality! Thanks for your help. I may fiddle around with the settings to see if I can get it down to a 1gb!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To target a specific size, don't use constant quality, use target size/2-pass
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would you recommend a target size? I am debating to do this since I have read when you do this it can give bad results, such as poor dvd rips.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stargatesuite View Post
    Would you recommend a target size? I am debating to do this since I have read when you do this it can give bad results, such as poor dvd rips.
    No I would not. Most of us use CRF (constant quality) because the file size it not the main objective, it's just going to sit on the HDD.
    It's you who stated you were hoping to achieve a certain size. Why don't you try it and see if the final quality suits
    your need?
    Last edited by davexnet; 25th Mar 2020 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can be indecisive. I may try that tonight. Thanks for your input.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I tend to use CRF 18 to 20 for SD encodes and 19 to 22 for HD ones. (I do usually author to disc using MultiAVCHD, so I like to have a little more leeway on the file size than if I was just keeping them on a HDD. If size is critical then I'd use two-pass target size.)
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
    Quote Quote