VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to get suggestions for transferring files like contact list, messages, what's up chat files and videos, recorded voices, videos, audios etc. from an android mobile and retrieve them all back to a new mobile. Is any free application available. Somebody suggest to transfer to cloud storage and get them back. How far is cloud storage trustworthy security point of view?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Plug the phone into your computer with a USB cable -- Windows(?) will see the drive and let you select file transfer. On the phone pull down the status bar (at the top) and if it says "use usb for charging" tap on it and change it to file transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. To transfer it all automatically I was using Smart Switch app(Samsung I think) I was transferring apps as well with it, not sure what it used, radio, but not sure what , do not remember, maybe Blue-tooth. Then also used Share Me (Mi Drop) app, it uses P2P, it transferred it all, music directories as well. I use player that plays directories not databases by index so it all worked good. Besides transferring SMS and contacts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you want a COMPLETE transfer of your whole experience, from 1 android phone to another, there is currently NO one tool - it takes multiple steps.

1. SmartSwitch is a good example of the 1st part. Other brands have similar, though not as thorough apps. Does the bulk of the work.
    2. If using separate sdcard, move as much data as possible (but not apps) onto it. Then swap into the new device.
    3. Do a cloud backup & restore of other settings (may duplicate parts of #1, but not all) - google and/or samsung accounts.
    4. Use something like AllBackupRestore to cover sideloaded apps.
    5. Use something like SMSBackupRestore to cover sms msgs, non-account-linked contacts, voicemail msgs.
    6. Go into Whatsapp and tell it to back up chats, conversations. If you use that.

Even after that, you might need to reset your desktop background screen, etc. And you'll need to reacquire live things like connections.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    If you want a COMPLETE transfer of your whole experience, from 1 android phone to another, there is currently NO one tool - it takes multiple steps.

1. SmartSwitch is a good example of the 1st part. Other brands have similar, though not as thorough apps. Does the bulk of the work.
    2. If using separate sdcard, move as much data as possible (but not apps) onto it. Then swap into the new device.
    3. Do a cloud backup & restore of other settings (may duplicate parts of #1, but not all) - google and/or samsung accounts.
    4. Use something like AllBackupRestore to cover sideloaded apps.
    5. Use something like SMSBackupRestore to cover sms msgs, non-account-linked contacts, voicemail msgs.
    6. Go into Whatsapp and tell it to back up chats, conversations. If you use that.

Even after that, you might need to reset your desktop background screen, etc. And you'll need to reacquire live things like connections.

Scott
    Thanks. Very well said. I was using a mobile 'Realme' and I wanted to go for 'Samsung' under exchange. As soon as I received the message stating that the new mobile was out for delivery, I copied all files from the old phone to my computer. They are stored under various named folders. After getting the new phone, I wanted to restore those files from the old phone. But, I don't find those folders in the new phone. Folder names are different. So, now it has become a cumbersome process.

As you said, there is no one tool to get it done. I will have to spend more time, analyse the contents in various folders and transfer them.

I found Smart Switch in the new mobile which will help for back up in future.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Things like smartswitch only work when staying within brand during a swap (in this case, Samsung->Samsung).

Most recent versions of Android do have the same or very similar folder structure, though old versions did not.
    More likely, though, is the probability that your phone uses 2 storage spaces: Internal, and External (sdcard).

You would need to use a file manager app on the old phone to transfer files from internal->external in order for them to transfer. Unless you use a cloud-based backup/restore that can see your internal space.

I feel for you, and have been there in the past.

Scott
    Quote Quote