VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm in Southeastern Pennsylvania in the United States, We are shutting down most economic activity, however, I don't know personally anyone affected, so:
    1. Do you know anyone who contracted the virus?
    2. Do you know anyone who knows someone who contracted?
    3. Are you worried about getting it?
    4. What are your current video or photography projects?

Thank you for your time. Regards!
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly

Search Comp PM
    I'm in Southeastern Wales in the UK and most economic activity is being closed down - offices, schools, cafes (means different in these parts to what it does elsewhere) bars/pubs/restaurants, cinemas, theatres etc. etc. And all sport has already been postponed.

I do not know anyone at present who has contracted the virus and I pray that will remain the case.

Am I worried ? Of course I am and even the best precautions are not always good enough.

No current projects although I made a broad promise to do something elsewhere.

But let me add something. I went shopping yesterday. And it struck me that persons of dubious parentage had stripped the shelves of practically everything. I hope they live with that conscious or even get the germ themselves. A little thought goes a long way. No need to panic and store. There should be enough to go around.

Search Comp PM
    the hoarding is going on here in the usa also. the weirdest ones are toilet paper and laundry detergent. why? has there ever been a t.p. shortage???? i was getting low and the stores hadn't had any on the shelves for a week. i ordered from my business supplier a case of t.p. and a bucket of laundry detergent for my home. 80 rolls and 5 gallons... at least it was cheaper than normal retail....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 yet, but my sister caught a flu-like illness about the same time as it was first detected in New Jersey.

The first case of COVID-19 was found here SW Pennsylvania on March 12. Doctors at the local hospitals began calling patients on March 15 to cancel non-essential appointments. Staple foods like bread, milk, eggs and meat immediately disappeared from grocery store shelves. Toilet paper, rubbing alcohol, disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer had already become scarce 3 weeks ago. Most retailers other than pharmacies and grocery stores closed two days ago. Restaurants are limited to take-out orders and deliveries. My mother, now 100, and I are in the high risk category, so I'm trying to reduce grocery shopping to once a week but since I can't count on getting milk, bread, eggs or meat on any given visit that plan may not work out. We won't begin starving immediately thanks a well-stocked pantry and a nearly full freezer, but the shortages are disconcerting.

[Edit]I have no video or photography projects going. I am afraid that I have become a cable news junkie.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Mar 2020 at 20:27.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord

5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    has there ever been a t.p. shortage????
    There is now.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    the hoarding is going on here in the usa also. the weirdest ones are toilet paper and laundry detergent. why? has there ever been a t.p. shortage???? i was getting low and the stores hadn't had any on the shelves for a week. i ordered from my business supplier a case of t.p. and a bucket of laundry detergent for my home. 80 rolls and 5 gallons... at least it was cheaper than normal retail....
    In the early 70's, we had a dock strike in Hawaii that stopped any cargo ships from being unloaded. Rice and TP were the two top items that ran out and everything had to flown in. Those of us who remember that strike are stocked up after that, but nowhere near what's happening now.

Search PM
    im buying something from pensilvanya i suppose it be a big delay.

i bet its matter of days to be in quarantine and weeks for all states be in .

you only safe in your home. otherwise you need keep clean a lot its just impossible stay okin that way imo

8. I'm on the west coast of Wales, some shortages here but for the most part things are as normal. Its a tourist area and in my home village 8 out of 10 houses are second homes or vacation homes, there seems to have been a mass exodus from towns and cities with them all being used as 'safe havens' at the moment. It puts a big strain on the local economy but due to it's tourist nature, we are well prepared for the ups and downs of business as the seasons and weather change. Pubs and restaurants are closed and shopkeepers are wearing masks and in some cases asking people to wash or sanitize hands before entering the premises but they are still trading pretty much as before.

Brian.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I live in the Netherlands, the virus is mostly in the southern half of the country.
    I do not know of any cases in the (small)village i live in, and i'm not sick. There are however already virus cases in the nearest big city (i live in the central of the country)

About the hoarding.. well that is also a problem here, the local supermarket is about half out of stock because of the hoarding! The manager says there is absolutely no reason for, there is plenty stock in the warehouses but the transport is lower than normal.

All social activity's are shutdown, sport clubs, bars, theatres etc and people are supposed to limit there contacts to a minimum. exception is the local supermarket.

Yes i am worried about the virus, but try not to think about the worst that can happen. hygiene is now important, keep contacts with other people to a minimum should be the best option for now and hope that i don' t get it..

10. South coast of the UK..... Shut up in doors for as long as it takes, partner with underlying health issues, so I don't need to bring anything nasty in the front door. I now have plenty of time to enjoy scanning some cine film and trying my hand at colour correction with da vinci resolve.

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    East Anglia, UK. Just back from being imprisoned in our hotel since Midnight Saturday, on a locked-down Lanzarote which, by the time we left (Thursday lunchtime) had only 3 confirmed cases. We're now settling in to a self-isolation period, so I rang my son to say don't expect to see us for a while, only to find that he has it. Fortunately he has only relatively mild symptoms.

I have some video from there, but less than usual, to edit. After that, who knows?

12. I'm personally confined and I'm taking it seriously
    There are 95 contaminations in my country (Algeria) and I hope that this virus will stop contaminating people

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am concerned but not panicking. Like everyone says, the store shelves are empty of certain items.
    Let me say this to the TP hoarders: Diarrhea is not a symptom of the Coronavirus!

14. Illinois, USA, income is almost none right now, but we survive, it will eventually pass and things will change a bit. But I want to say this. Going today to HomeDepot because they will perhaps shut it down and no one , NO ONE was wearing a damn face mask. Only me alone. There is elderly workers in there, for Christ sake no one has any respect to them? Going to Target, and same thing, only me + one girl, for the whole time I was there. Again, zero respect for people and mostly those who work there. What happened to western culture, you guys need to have someone actually dying in your own family so you start to wear those? Im watching Britain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy approach and cannot believe how young lost their respect to elderly. Absolutely was not prepared for this.

15. AI, I am deeply sympathetic (and I live near you.) But please remember that the limited supplies of face masks are needed by the medical professionals. Distancing is the best general guidance. I don't know if Home Depot is on the governor's list of stores that must be closed today, so there might be a rush. Target will almost certainly stay open because they sell groceries. As I said, I'm not unsympathetic. Stay safe.

16. You too. But face mask could be made out of some sheet or old shirt, car filter, vacuum filter, if it is tight you put first a bit of toilet paper or so so mask would not get wet as soon you put it on, then throw it away, that inside right away, wash the cloth and use it again. We happened to have some, a box or two because I was fixing basement and using it. But if not, I'm making one. It does not prevent 100%, it is just to not spit stuff around freely.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Illinois, USA, income is almost none right now, but we survive, it will eventually pass and things will change a bit. But I want to say this. Going today to HomeDepot because they will perhaps shut it down and no one , NO ONE was wearing a damn face mask. Only me alone. There is elderly workers in there, for Christ sake no one has any respect to them? Going to Target, and same thing, only me + one girl, for the whole time I was there. Again, zero respect for people and mostly those who work there. What happened to western culture, you guys need to have someone actually dying in your own family so you start to wear those? Im watching Britain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy approach and cannot believe how young lost their respect to elderly. Absolutely was not prepared for this.
    Beyond the current need to conserve the supply of masks for medical use, even though it has been customary for a long time in many Asian countries to wear masks in public places to prevent the spread of disease during an outbreak, the practice hasn't caught on in the West to this day. It simply doesn't occur to most people in the USA or Europe to do it. The idea here is and has been for a long time: If you think that you might be sick, you should be at home, not running around in public.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Mar 2020 at 15:59.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord

18. With this SonOfaGun it is a bit different, you can feel perfect and you have it and spread it like a machine design to actually do that.

19. One of the best presentations, filled with facts and useful information, is from a Stanford professor. Here is a link to the PDF:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZaiDO87me4puBte-8VytcSRtpQ3PVpkK/view?fbclid=IwAR0rZu...LHUnycLFANqv9U

Ignore the 3-4 slides near the beginning which spend too much time discussing her problems with naming it Covid-19.

She has great information about how to protect yourself, and what to do to keep the infection from spreading too rapidly. Make no mistake, no matter what we all do it is going to spread, just like colds and flu. The aim is to slow it down so medical services don't get overwhelmed and so we buy time to provide treatment for those who get really sick.

It cannot be stopped, just like all other viruses.

I don't know anywhere here in the Central Coast of California who has it. I think there are two cases in the three counties near us, so it is still pretty remote. We've stayed at home since the governor pretty much shut down the state. However, I've been asking everyone to contact officials and urge that the complete shutdown be rescinded within a couple of weeks. If it isn't, the self-inflicted financial disaster will dwarf what the virus does.

If you read the paper I linked to, it references the amazingly fortuitous cruise ship "experiment" where 3,700 passengers were exposed in almost a laboratory setting. The outbreak on that ship happened without any social distancing or any other countermeasures, because those had not yet been developed, and they initially had no idea what they were dealing with. As a result, the infection was allowed to spread. The data from that suggests that, worldwide, the number of people infected will be very similar to a severe flu outbreak but that the fatality rate will be 5-7 times higher than the flu, almost entirely from old folks like me.

Unfortunately, with the press and social media ablaze with nothing but discussion of this topic, it is hard not to feel a sense of panic or doom. However, if you start reading the data (like the linked report) and if you have an analytic mind, you should come to the conclusion that this thing, while pretty bad, is most definitely not something that far removed from what many of have experienced before.

I remember in 1968 going through the Hong Kong flu. At one point over 1,000 of the 4,000 students at my high school were out sick. According to one teacher I spoke to back then, if we'd gotten to 30%, they would have to close the school. That infection rate is pretty much exactly what we're headed for with this thing. The key is to reduce the mortality so that it is no worse than most flus. That will be done by keeping people like me ("old") locked up, and by discovering more and more therapies which can reduce the lung problems.

I am much more worried about the economic burden that this will cause. There isn't enough tea in China or money in this country to make everyone whole again, and a lot of small, under-capitalized businesses will fail. I can go on all day about the other possible negative things.

So, everything is fine here so far, and I'm hoping we can get people back out and to work within several weeks, albeit with a LOT of new precautions and guidelines on how to stay as safe as possible.

The only project I'm doing is to prepare some client film for a Swiss documentary about a painter.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 21st Mar 2020 at 20:58.

20. Not entirely true. South Korea or Taiwan they did slow it down or almost put it to crawl. And they were/are one juicy target. They have no memo, lets let it go thru and let people get immune. They know, tomorrow there will be other special on the menu coming from China.
    They launched seek&quarantine mission, tons of tests, track back, quarantine , right away.

Sure West did not expect that and things usually work like that. It was not expected. But still, I'd point out what some countries in Europe do and what some do not. European official criticizes eastern an European country for closing a border, when days later all do the same (not for trucks or if you work close to border in neighboring country). This approach, hey do not bother much because we loose money is not right and tells a lot about society. Nice homogeneous society in a sense we all do this and we do something because we are on the same note is almost non existent there anymore.

What does it say, hey we got hit, so you better suck it up , you on east and elsewhere and get immune too, because we say so? Is this human at all yet? They do not even think like that anymore. And there is a capacity to fight it, not like 100 years ago.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Incontinence is a common culprit. If you don't poo and pee yourself on a regular basis, you're unaware of the issues that many folks have. I helped someone stock up on probably 100 rolls of toilet paper, about a month ago. About half of it is now gone. As we grow older, we all get plumbing issues. Some folks can start to have issues in their 20s-30s, and it just gets worse over time.

Lots of soiled undies then need to be cleaned. And I helped stock up with 5 gallons of detergent.

And then some of us with health issues are NOT just stocking up on 2 weeks -- more like 2+ months of supplies. Many of us already had decent freezers and pantries, but added lots more. I was an Eagle Scout: "be prepared", and I am. I started to stock up that last week of Feb, and got whatever I wanted. Nobody else was prepping yet. (My main regret? Not converting my IRA mutual funds to IRA money markets. <sigh> So I wasn't 100% prepared on all fronts.)

My area, thus far, has few cases. But that can change in a day. The numbers are surely artificially low due to near-zero testing.

I do not know of anybody with it, but a friend of a friend (that I don't know) has it, as seen from his Facebook posts.

I've always lived below my means, so I have some cash reserves. Walmart.com and Amazon.com are getting most of it. A family member that work in an "essential industry" is out often, so he's acting as our shipping proxy to protect the rest of us. He goes to the store, gets what we need, brings it into the garage, and leaves. No contact, just see him through the window, wave, talk on the phone.

You too. But face mask could be made out of some sheet or old shirt, car filter, vacuum filter, if it is tight you put first a bit of toilet paper or so so mask would not get wet as soon you put it on, then throw it away, that inside right away, wash the cloth and use it again. We happened to have some, a box or two because I was fixing basement and using it. But if not, I'm making one. It does not prevent 100%, it is just to not spit stuff around freely.
    I have an Isreali gas mask, and will wear that if required to go into public. We also have a mask that you use when doing automotive work. Although I'm wanting to sew some face masks, using some torn bedsheets as the material. No rubber gloves, but plenty of leather work gloves. Shower caps.

Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    One of the best presentations, filled with facts and useful information, is from a Stanford professor. Here is a link to the PDF:
    Thanks, I shall give it a look.

no matter what we all do it is going to spread, just like colds and flu. The aim is to slow it down so medical services don't get overwhelmed and so we buy time to provide treatment for those who get really sick. It cannot be stopped, just like all other viruses.
    That's not accurate. Partially true, but not entirely. The goal is not to just slow down a spread, but to contain the spread entirely. The idea that everybody is destined to get it is wrong.

Statistics.
    Here's the current map: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
    At the moment, the virus is infecting less than 1%.
    Of those 1%, depending on many factors, the death toll is 10%-50%.
    The globe has 7B people. 1% of 7B is 70M. Even 70 is not good, or 70K, and the numbers look scary. They are scary. We should all be scared to be part of that 1%, and should take over-the-top precautions to be in the 99%. But it's not a zombie apocalypse that will infect 99% of the population. It's completely inverse.

Spanish flu "only" infected 25% of the population -- a population that was vastly unprepared, less scientifically advanced, and less hygienic. COVID-19 doesn't have to be Spanish flu, if everybody avoids everybody else. The difference between 1% and 25% is how we react. I don't mean emotionally, I mean our actions.

However, I've been asking everyone to contact officials and urge that the complete shutdown be rescinded within a couple of weeks. If it isn't, the self-inflicted financial disaster will dwarf what the virus does.
    I am much more worried about the economic burden that this will cause. There isn't enough tea in China or money in this country to make everyone whole again, and a lot of small, under-capitalized businesses will fail. I can go on all day about the other possible negative things.
    I agree with this: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/12/jim-cramer-the-only-way-to-beat-coronavirus-is-to-risk...recession.html
    The most important quote is this: "We need to slow the spread of this virus and that means rules against gathering, rules that make people stay home, rules that are very bad for business," Cramer said.

I would gladly burn my money in the fire pit out back, if it meant that my loved ones will be safe from this threat, and we can continue thriving together for many more years.

Money isn't everything.

So, everything is fine here so far, and I'm hoping we can get people back out and to work within several weeks,
    Doubtful. I've read Bill Gates recently (his latest AMA on Reddit), who is tied heavily into world health due to his non-profit. His estimate is 6-12 weeks, if we take proper precautions. That's what I'd really like to see, but I'm afraid that the tinfoil-hat zealots partially leading the country will drag their feet, as they've done for the past 2+ months (ever since the intelligence briefings in Jan). Cities and counties near me are having to make rules, because the red-state governor is a moron. His 14-day state-wide closure plan is ridiculous, and won't do squat.

The only project I'm doing is to prepare some client film for a Swiss documentary about a painter.
    I'm finishing up a few projects, holdovers from last year, and had planned to sit out some of early 2020 due to burnout anyway.

Sure West did not expect that and things usually work like that. It was not expected.
    Nothing is expected when your head is in the sand, as our top politicians currently are.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 23rd Mar 2020 at 21:27.

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not surprised by this current administrations total lack of concern for their people,their priorities are building that stupid wall(No wall in the history of man has stopped any invader,period.paying our taxpayer money for 24hr. round the clock construction to stop those scary Mexicans from stealing all the work most Americans won't do anyhow?Trying to divert
    as much money as they can to big business,so they can siphon-off money and take payoffs from lobbyists,THESE PEOPLE ARE THE SWAMP.The major concern now is how he can spin this for re-election,making like it was his idea for alot of americans to get the oh so generous $2000.00 .Big deal it should be $2000.00 per month,per american.How you feeling about the economy now?Did you really believe this moron?As a wise man once said-you can show them the facts,but,you can't make them think!He stole the election and now America is going to pay the piper.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    walls work, look at the current illegal immigration levels, the lowest in decades. walls are not to stop its to make it hard and delay. case in point the great wall of china, forts and any military installation in the world. there is your summation of walls. as far as the current president he is leaps and jumps above the last one. sorry to hear you are dejected maybe you should turn off CNN or MSDNC? im guessing since you think the election was stolen you are thinking that this country os a democracy, its not its a constitutional republic, set up like that for a purpose. that purpose being so that mobs can not rule.

all this being said, I think this is a video forum and politics do not run well here, for everyone on 1 side there is 1 on the other side. maybe you should keep opinions to yourself unless you want unfavorable opinions from the other side arguing (truthfully) against you
    Last edited by the_man_one; 22nd Mar 2020 at 07:03.

Search Comp PM
    In Australia, where we have new edicts coming out every day regarding social distancing and state border closings etc, we see in our media (and pics on social media) bunches and bunches of 20-something drongos laughing and gathering in crowds and carrying on. Our Prime Minister has railed at the behaviours.

The selfish thoughtless ones demonstrate by their actions that they care only about themselves and not one whit about spreading the virus and in effect killing others possibly including their parents and grandparents. We see clips of such things in the US as well. What have our societies done to create such selfish monsters ? Perhaps the media focus on "oh but the children are paramount in everything" sank in ?

In a high risk category ourselves, their stupidity leaves us really quite angry.

We received conflicting advice about stockpiling - mentioned as a wise thing to do at the start, now our PM says "stop it" as it's "un-Australian" ... oh dear, that phrase coming from a person whose family will be looked after no matter what - our pollies really are quite "less than ordinary".

A sort-of-funny comedy clip about it here, which anecdotally got better results than the government media coverage:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks6Nq7g6P4

Anyway, the very best of good luck to you and yours in surviving these times.
    Last edited by hydra3333; 22nd Mar 2020 at 08:13.

Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 52410 - Click to enlarge]
    Taken on March 16th, should be filled top to bottom with TP and Paper Towels but there is nothing there. Can foods, sandwich meats, cheese, dairy, bananas, most breakfast cereals, tuna, 97% Everclear Alcohol (completely gone), and some other stuff were all hit pretty hard at Walmart. But TP was hit the hardest, my goodness.

Went to Panera Breadco on the same day (had a coupon), and the place was dead besides one guy eating something in the back. Talked with the manager who was joking about how he might not have a job and seemed to imply that he had already fired people that day. Have not ate out since. Also on my way home there was a vehicle driving down the wrong side of the highway. In 14 years on this highway I've never come across such a thing. All of this was happening when my state only had 1-2 confirmed cases. A week later now and it is over 100 "confirmed" cases.

Local schools are shut down until April but will probably be pushed back further, young people don't seem to be active outside with their time off. It has been raining a lot anyway.

26. Originally Posted by conrailguy View Post
    I am not surprised by this current administrations total lack of concern for their people,their priorities are building that stupid wall(No wall in the history of man has stopped any invader,period.paying our taxpayer money for 24hr. round the clock construction to stop those scary Mexicans from stealing all the work most Americans won't do anyhow?Trying to divert
    as much money as they can to big business,so they can siphon-off money and take payoffs from lobbyists,THESE PEOPLE ARE THE SWAMP.The major concern now is how he can spin this for re-election,making like it was his idea for alot of americans to get the oh so generous $2000.00 .Big deal it should be $2000.00 per month,per american.How you feeling about the economy now?Did you really believe this moron?As a wise man once said-you can show them the facts,but,you can't make them think!He stole the election and now America is going to pay the piper.
    Please stop this leftist bs. Wrong forum.

27. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Wrong forum.
    Agree. We don't solve any problem here.

28. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Please stop this leftist bs. Wrong forum.
    I see, only the 卐-fa$cit type of B.S. pleases you.
    "Like this facility, I don't exist."

29. El Heggunte , this logic of yours , did you have to give a thought or just hatred just took over having a blue sky clear thought what I think?

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    el heggunte you do know a fascist (when a right leaning leader comes into power) comes from a leftist perspective? same as communist (when a left leaning leader comes into power). its all socialism grown up. both systems are all about control. as far as capitalism when it grows up it becomes anarcho-capitalism not fascism. this is a quite new and quite wrong narrative.