VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Does it matter what digital method is used to basically convert Hi8 tapes to digital files. I have used EZGrabber VideoGlide Capture, taking the files from my 1997 Sony CCD TR920e. What I don't know is if this method has produced a good basic file or, are there better ways to create cleaner, sharper files? The .mov files I have created seemed a bit grainy with lines appearing across the image occasionally. I suppose this could have something to do with the heads on the camera, but I have no comparison. My Hi8 tapes are 25 years old, have been stored sensitively and are, for the most part, in pristine condition, having not been played since they were pulled out of the camera after being recorded. If the answer to this is long and technical, I am a novice so please be kind!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps you can provide an untouched sample from one of your captures.
    The theory, with an analogue camera, is to provide the best possible analog signal to be digitizing device
    many times this calls for a time base corrector in the path, particularly with VHS.

Then the quality of the capture device and the codec used for compressing (lossless is best) the stream comes into play.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kajaboss View Post
    Does it matter what digital method is used to basically convert Hi8 tapes to digital files. I have used EZGrabber VideoGlide Capture, taking the files from my 1997 Sony CCD TR920e. What I don't know is if this method has produced a good basic file or, are there better ways to create cleaner, sharper files? The .mov files I have created seemed a bit grainy with lines appearing across the image occasionally. I suppose this could have something to do with the heads on the camera, but I have no comparison. My Hi8 tapes are 25 years old, have been stored sensitively and are, for the most part,in pristine condition, having not been played since they were pulled out of the camera after being recorded. If the answer to this is long and technical, I am a novice so please be kind!
    VideoGlide is Mac capture software developed by echoFX that works with a number of "video grabber" USB capture devices and mov files are associated with Macs. Are you by chance using a Mac? If so I will ask a moderator to move you to our Mac forum where you might get more help from people familiar with video software for Macs.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I am a Mac user, an iMac 2019 with Mojave OS 10.14.5. Thanks very much for redirecting me, that's really helpful
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a clip of what I am talking about. I think....
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This sample is 720p, it's been upscaled (Hi8 is native analog SD) and de-interlaced. Is this direct from the capture?

I've always captured analog (VHS & Hi8) to SD resolution, interlaced and processed it myself. The interlacing doesn't look too clean
    and the levels are off - the dark shadow areas are way to light

To create a DVD for example, much better to keep the interlacing. Even if you de-interlace for a "digital" version, you can bob de-interlace
    giving a more fluid motion.

Have you looked at your capture software to see if there are any other capture options? I know nothing about VideoGlide, nor the Mac environment
    Wait and see, you may get some more specific suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 52384 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 52385 - Click to enlarge]
    From the capture menu, when I am due to digitise a tape, there are a number of options. 720p is the largest option available and I set the frame rate at 30. I've attached a couple of screen shots of what I've done. I would also say I have just started digitising another tape using a a higher frame rate of 50 and the difference is quite marked. It is sharper, the blacks seem much puncher and the general exposure seems right, not over exposed. I've read about what de-interlacing is, and I'm guessing that is something that has been done by the capture software as I have not changed that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Well, further to my exploits digitising my Hi8 tapes. I have now converted all 42 tapes to mp4 using iMovie and my Sony camera. The quality is ok for my purposes so I can now play around with editing them and making them a bit more contemporary! I also have a few VHS tapes that I would like to digitise as well. I understood the software I have been using to date, EZGrab, would do the job, but to my disappointment, it doesn't. It would seem simple enough given all the youtube clips I have watched and seen people doing exact same thing, but alas no. I have a standard VHS tape recorder. I even have the adapter where I plug in the three cables (white, red and yellow) and then plug that into the Scart socket on the back of the recorder. Alas, nothing. I tried plugging in the cables into the sockets on the front as well and still nothing. The process is the same isn't it? Image
    [Attachment 53316 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 53317 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 53318 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 53319 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 53320 - Click to enlarge]

Can anyone suggest what if anything I may be doing wrong? I'v included images of the kit for ease.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3390.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	53314  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	53315  

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, further to my exploits digitising my Hi8 tapes. I have now converted all 42 tapes to mp4 using iMovie and my Sony camera. The quality is ok for my purposes so I can now play around with editing them and making them a bit more contemporary! I also have a few VHS tapes that I would like to digitise as well. I understood the software I have been using to date, EZGrab, would do the job, but to my disappointment, it doesn't. It would seem simple enough given all the youtube clips I have watched and seen people doing exact same thing, but alas no. I have a standard VHS tape recorder. I even have the adapter where I plug in the three cables (white, red and yellow) and then plug that into the Scart socket on the back of the recorder. Alas, nothing. I tried plugging in the cables into the sockets on the front as well and still nothing. The process is the same isn't it? Image
    [Attachment 53316 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 53317 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 53318 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 53319 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 53320 - Click to enlarge]

Can anyone suggest what if anything I may be doing wrong? I'v included images of the kit for ease.
    see here page 28 - https://servlib.com/sharp/vcr/vc-mh704-sm7.html?start=27
    tells how to connect camera to vcr
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to connect my VHS VCR to my Mac via EZCap software and dongle, which I have successfully being using for weeks now, transferring all my Hi8 tapes. I am now trying to convert my VHS tapes from my VCR to the Mac. I'm not trying to connect my Sony camera to my Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to connect my VHS VCR to my Mac via EZCap software and dongle, which I have successfully being using for weeks now, transferring all my Hi8 tapes. I am now trying to convert my VHS tapes from my VCR to the Mac. I'm not trying to connect my Sony camera to my Mac.
    connect the yellow - red & white cable to the video out (on the back of the vcr) then press the video input button on the remote to L2
    then play a tape and try capturing your tape.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Thankyou October 262. I have done exactly as you suggest but alas no change. I've even been in touch with the developers and did what they suggested but it made no difference either. I am at a loss. I can only imagine that the video recorder is just not delivering enough of a signal to be picked up by the Mac. Any other suggestions anyone? I wonder if using an S-VHS recorder would make a difference, but I'd have to buy one!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thankyou October 262. I have done exactly as you suggest but alas no change. I've even been in touch with the developers and did what they suggested but it made no difference either. I am at a loss. I can only imagine that the video recorder is just not delivering enough of a signal to be picked up by the Mac. Any other suggestions anyone? I wonder if using an S-VHS recorder would make a difference, but I'd have to buy one!
    are these home movies that you've recorded that are on the VHS tapes ??
    Last edited by october262; 15th May 2020 at 22:34.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Yes they are. I'm not interested in breaking copyright, however old!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes they are. I'm not interested in breaking copyright, however old!
    have you tried connecting to the L1 connection on the back of the VCR ??
    might also try pressing the TV/VCR button on the remote control
    try doing a factory reset on the VCR
    Last edited by october262; 16th May 2020 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    Hi October262, yes I have. I've tried every combination of the wires and the scart adaptor. I've pressed the TV/VCR button, as you suggested. Nothing makes any difference. I have no idea how, if at all possible, to do a factory reset to the VCR. I've had a look on line at the instruction manual but can find no reference to a 'Factory reset'. I have even contacted Sharp to ask for some guidance with that. I don't expect any assistance with the main issue, but who knows! I wait with low expectation, then I can't be disappointed!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi October262, yes I have. I've tried every combination of the wires and the scart adaptor. I've pressed the TV/VCR button, as you suggested. Nothing makes any difference. I have no idea how, if at all possible, to do a factory reset to the VCR. I've had a look on line at the instruction manual but can find no reference to a 'Factory reset'. I have even contacted Sharp to ask for some guidance with that. I don't expect any assistance with the main issue, but who knows! I wait with low expectation, then I can't be disappointed!
    found the factory reset page for your vcr - https://servlib.com/sharp/vcr/vc-mh704-sm7.html?start=39
    Quote Quote  
  18. Nikonitis
    Search Comp PM
    October262, I am indebted to you. It worked! I had trawled the internet for ages with no success, so Thankyou. I reset the VCR, a blue screen appeared with the clock and date settings ready for adjustment. As soon as I had inputed the right time and date etc, pressed play, the video started playing. Amazing! I am now in the process of recording. And to be fair, the results thus far, are not that different to the results of of my Hi8 tapes. I would be interested to try other software to compare quality, but for now this will do. At least I have a result!
    Quote Quote