VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    To my knowledge, HEVC has been supported on Mac OS since High Sierra, and hardware decoding since Kaby Lake. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but among QuickTime, VLC, and mpv, QuickTime is the only one that can play HDR content.

1. What audio codecs do mp4 and QuickTime support? I have seen forum posts from the past that say TrueHD wasn't supported by mp4, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore according to the wiki.

2. I've watched some films with 5.1 sound in IINA with the stereo speakers on my MacBook, and I found the dialogue to be very quiet and the sfx very loud. Does QuickTime do a better job? What would happen if I were to play 5.1 or 7.1 content into a speaker with one tweeter and one woofer? I am assuming that if I need to downmix myself before muxing then I would need to re-encode the whole video?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Welcome to the forum. I have no idea what the answers are to you questions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not a Mac owner any more, but here's my two cents.

What audio codecs do mp4 and QuickTime support?
    afaik mp4 does not support TrueHD, it does however support ac3.
    but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore according to the wiki.
    What Wiki?
    Does QuickTime do a better job?
    No mac -> no clue
    What would happen if I were to play 5.1 or 7.1 content into a speaker with one tweeter and one woofer?
    not totally sure, but I would guess that the downmix during playback would be bad too

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but among QuickTime, VLC, and mpv, QuickTime is the only one that can play HDR content.
    All of them should be abe to play HEVC 10bit content.
    Iirc:
    a. VLC 3.x on Windows should support both HDR passthrough (to the display) and tone-mapping (to play HDR content on SDR displays), but it has to be enabled.
    On Mac the problem was not sure if it still is that Apple didn't t publicly document the API needed to support HDR which is why VLC 3.x does not support HDR passthrough (to the display) on Mac, tone-mapping should work.
    b. MPV does not support HDR passthrough atm., but tone-mapping is supported
    c. Quicktime: no mac -> no clue

I am assuming that if I need to downmix myself before muxing then I would need to re-encode the whole video?
    Yes, doing a proper downmix (may be applying DRC and some auto gain) should help with the low volume audio channel.
    You would only have to re-encode the audio stream not the video.

To my knowledge, HEVC has been supported on Mac OS since High Sierra, and hardware decoding since Kaby Lake.
    Are you sure? Afaik HDR decoding was introduced with Mac OS Catalina.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats#Audio_coding_formats_support

This is the wiki I was referring to. I don't have any TrueHD files right now, but using ffmpeg to copy DTS from mkv to mp4, the video plays without sound in QT. It does work when I convert to AC3 though.

Yes, QT, mpv, and VLC all can play HEVC. What I meant to say was that at least on Mac, only QT supports hardware decoding. My computer is not strong enough for software decoding so I get choppy playback and high cpu use with the other two.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/hevc-video-macos-high-sierra-ios-11/

General HEVC playback was added in High Sierra. Catalina added I believe, the ability for Macs with the T2 security chip to stream 4K HDR films and tv from the Apple TV app.

Anyways, I finally got it to work. I converted the mkv to downmixed ac3, extracted the pgs subtitles and used OCR to srt, then added again to mkv and converted to mov_txt and change container to mp4.
    Quote Quote