VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I struggled to find a program or bat file that worked reliably or that I understood, so made a spreadsheet to help batch mux TV series in mkvmerge.
    I didn't write this with the intention of sharing it - as such it's of very crude design, and includes lots of formulas which I'm sure are not optimal and some very rigid parameters, which I'll outline below. That said, it's so far worked well for what I want it to do.

There are a number of limitations/parameters to be aware of:
    • The input file must have one video track (as track ID 0), one audio track (as track ID 1)
    • There must be one external subtitle track you're muxing (the command generated by the spreadsheet will delete existing subtitles in the file)
    • You can optionally mux an external forced subtitle track, but that's it
    • The order of the filenames you add from cell F3 downwards must be as follows:
    • If you are not adding forced subtitle tracks, Example S01E01.mkv, Example S01E01.srt, Example S01E02.mkv etc.
    • If you are adding forced subtitle tracks, Example S01E01.forced.srt, Example S01E01.mkv, Example S01E01.srt, Example S01E02.forced.srt etc.
    • On Mac (assuming Finder is sorting files by name), it's as simple as highlighting the files and doing a copy and paste into Excel. On Windows, open Command Prompt, cd into the input folder, and enter dir /b > list.txt, which will create a text file whose contents can similarly to be copy and pasted into the spreadsheet.

Once the list of files is inputted into the spreadsheet, proceed as follows:
    1. In B2, B3 and B4, set the series name, season number, and starting episode (which will usually be E01, but doesn't need to be)
    2. In B6 and B7, set the input and output folders (making sure to include a trailing \ on Windows or / on Mac)
    3. In B9 to B12, set the desired output languages of the video and audio tracks, set the muxed subtitle language, and choose whether it will be default or not.
    4. In B13, set whether you're including a forced subtitle track. If you choose "yes" options for setting the language and default/forced tags of the forced subtitle will appear in D13, D14 and D15
    5. B15 to B21 contains options to remove/keep the file title, track titles, tags and attachments
    6. Once finished, copy the contents of B23 into Terminal or Command Prompt, and that will run the batch mux.

A few other things to note:
    • Just a small disclaimer in that I can't guarantee there aren't glaring errors in the spreadhsheet - assuming it's allowed on the forum, happy to hear suggestions on how to fix or make neater/cleverer any of formulas I've used
    • Range A31 to C68 isn't for editing. It was put there partly to help me understand the functioning of mkvmerge, and partly to form the basis of the command 'recipe'
    • The Background Data tab similarly isn't supposed to be edited - therein lie all my ugly vlookup tables etc.! The sheet is currently protected to keep the formulas safe, but can be unprotected without a password
    • Cell H3 and downwards is just for info, also not to be edited - it's there just to give an idea of what the finished product will look like.
    • Since it's a batch program, all input files must be identical in the make-up of their tracks i.e. if only one episode out of twenty has forced subtitles, it won't work satisfactorily.
    • The spreadsheet is very much geared towards TV shows - you can input movies as well, but the spreadsheet will rename them, in series, according to the details set in cells B2, B3 and B4 - for this reason, you need to be muxing a sequential group of files. If e.g. you're muxing Episodes 1 to 10, and Episode 3 is missing, your naming will be messed up
    • There's a limit to the number of files you can mux in one go - approx. 50 if you're including a forced subtitle track, approx. 75 if you're not
    • Finally, if anyone can actually share a dependable programme which does the above more conveniently and reliably, I'd be interested
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not wish to appear dis-courteous (and someone might find your program useful) but many would rather have a double lobotomy than go anywhere near a spreadsheet

But maybe I miss something. Doesn't the very program you linked to have a front-end mode rather than just the command mode you propose ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It does - mkvtoolnix - but it doesn't do batch muxing
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks yes, I tried that but couldn't get it to function properly
    Quote Quote