Hi all,

So I have a large collection of videos sorted into folders by subject. I’m trying to come up with a system to keep track of which videos I’ve watched in full or watched partially. Before you say Kodi does this, please continue reading.

In file explorer I have them sorted by date, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I go through them sequentially. I just pick a video by looking at the thumbnail, and go through that one. So the order I go through them is random.

I use MPC-HC to set a favorites location - say at 2:15 of a video. That way, later on when I’m editing in Vegas/Premiere, I know where to look for a particular scene. Some videos of course will not be useable, but I still want to make sure that I know I’ve looked through that particular video.

So I started adding a ‘D’ (for Done) at the end of the filename when I’ve looked through that video in full. The filenames all have date/times i.e. 2019-12-05-06-15.mp4 – so when I’m done looking through it it’ll be '2019-12-05-06-15 D.mp4' OR if I had to stop halfway through the video I’ll put P (for Partially done, and the time at which I stopped watching) for example - '2019-12-05-06-15 P 1400.mp4'. So now whenever I look at the files, I can easily see which videos I’ve already looked through and where to go next.

The problem is that MPC-HC stores the favorites’ file location without the D or P at the end (of course) since I add the D or P to the filename AFTER I set the favorites and finished watching the vid - so I won’t actually be able to click on a favorites entry and have MPC-HC load that video at that particular location.

In this case, the favorites list still does shows you the time stamp of the favorites location (like 2:15 of the video), but I do need to be able to load them in MPC-HC for convenience. I know you can edit the filenames location in the registry editor i.e. add the D or P to the filename in regedit but this is far too tedious.

Also, I can’t use another video program like Kodi or VLC, as I’m too dependent on MPC-HC due to the customization. I know Kodi keeps watched states of videos and knows where you left off and what you’ve watched, but I need to stick with MPC-HC.

I know File explorer has tags, but they don’t seem to work for these video files. And even if they did, I’m always in thumbnail view so it probably wouldn't be useful, as I’d need to constantly switch back and forth between details and thumbnail view to see which files are done and which are not.

Something like tagspaces looks interesting as it’s a file manager with tags and you can color-code individual files or put text over thumbnails. But I don’t know if I want to resort to using another file manager if there’s a better way to achieve what I need.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.