VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all...

I was wondering if anybody could recommend any free software for MacOS (or Windows) which has the ability to splice an MPEG or raw VOB file extracted from a DVD or captured by other means and export the clip without re-encoding (and therefore losing some quality and changing the size or bitrate)?

I currently recommend MPEG Streamclip from http://www.squared5.com for doing this with MP4 files but unfortunately the free version doesn't support earlier MPEG types...

Can anybody help? I really would rather not have to convert to MP4 before doing this as I can never configure HandBrake or anything similar to output an MP4 at exactly the same quality and specifications as the MPG or VOB original.... (unless anybody can explain how to do that?).

Thank you for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    avidemux - select 'copy' for the Video Output and Audio Output and mpegPS as the Output Format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't know about free but SmartCutter does almost all formats including MPEG-2 and VOB and the newer formats with no conversion, It just regroups the GOP, It's worth $50 if you use it a lot.
    Quote Quote