VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Have been searching for Free TV and Movie Sites.

Am interested in any sites you like and can recommend.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Forgot to mention have found recent posts like
    1. Top 20 Free (And Legal) Movie Download Websites in 2020 by Lalit Sharma https://www.elkeesmedia.com/entertainment/free-movie-download-websites-legal-watch-6489.html

2. Top 27 Free Movie Download Websites of 2020 That Are Completely Legal https://amazeinvent.com/free-movie-download-websites/

Am not looking for illegal or unsafe ones.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good luck with your search.

What might be 'legal' in one country will certainly not be in another.

Imdb tv was mentioned in a topic a few days ago and quickly closed down by a moderator.

Internet Archive has also been discussed.

Many movies on youtube are there either because the copyright holder has not requested a take-down or they have Russian over-dubbing.

I would not touch most of the sites in those articles with a bargepole. They preport to feature quite current films which will be in copyright. So download those, if they can be downloaded, at your peril. So you never know how 'safe' they are until it is too late.

Finally, 'Public Domain' is a US notion that does not apply to other parts of the world.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Imdb tv was mentioned in a topic a few days ago and quickly closed down by a moderator.
    IMDb TV (formerly: IMDb Freedive) is a legitimate "free" (ad supported) service. I'm not sure why the thread was locked, because there is no way to pay money for IMDb TV. It is owned and operated by amazon, and uses the same backend for video delivery. It is true that it is only available in the US, but it is a legitimate "free" service. It is on the up and up (and up).

Most of the others listed on OP's links are trash. But Tubi, Pluto TV, Kanopy, Sony Crackle and some others are legitimate "free" services. Some are even available outside the US. It is easy to tell if these sites are not available in your home country, because they won't work.
    Last edited by ponens; 13th Mar 2020 at 13:11.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well that's the moderator's prerogative. Maybe he thought it was too close to Amazon Prime which is the subscription-based 'mother' service.

The OP on that topic was also asking about downloading which, as far as the site is concerned, is not an available option.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ponens View Post
    IMDb TV (formerly: IMDb Freedive) is a legitimate "free" (ad supported) service. I'm not sure why the thread was locked, because there is no way to pay money for IMDb TV. It is owned and operated by amazon, and uses the same backend for video delivery. It is true that it is only available in the US, but it is a legitimate "free" service. It is on the up and up (and up).

Most of the others on listed on OP's links are trash. But Tubi, Pluto TV, Kanopy, Sony Crackle and some others are legitimate "free" services. Some are even available outside the US. It is easily to tell if these sites are not available in your home country, because they won't work.
    Using these sites, either watching on your device or casting to your TV is one thing, but discussing downloading and decrypting the content is another.
    I can understand forums being cautious about this discussion: don't really want to upset massive companies like Amazon and their expensive lawyers
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    The OP on that topic was also asking about downloading which, as far as the site is concerned, is not an available option.
    True enough. But it is also true for almost every site for which a query is posted to this sub-forum about downloading.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I can understand forums being cautious about this discussion: don't really want to upset massive companies like Amazon and their expensive lawyers
    I can understand it too. But it is also somewhat of a double standard, with a different policy for the rich, powerful, or well-lawyered. But that is just how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally, 'Public Domain' is a US notion that does not apply to other parts of the world.
    Can't argue with "other parts", but the old "Adventures of Robin Hood" a UK series, when fifty years had elapsed, did pass into the public domain in the EU.
    "Mill Creek" (US company) felt confident enough to issue a multiset DVD of the series which I have (early ones look like kinescope recordings), but the stories and actors are good - seems that some of the scripts were submitted by US writers who were on their countries blacklist..

BTW, I rather enjoyed "Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women" from one of the sites mentioned.
    If you like your prehistoric women wearing shellfish bras and bermuda shorts this is your movie.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    crackle, popcornflix, snagfilms, youtube, Vudu, contv and twitch are some free in the usa
    Quote Quote  
  11. Every One Thanks for all your comments!

Will try to answer your questions if I can.

DB83 "Imdb tv was mentioned in a topic a few days ago and quickly closed down by a moderator" I originated it and as a beginner forgot to mention I was interested in the "Free" shows.

Do not want to cause any problems which is the reason I started this post.

ponens I also considered IMDb tv a legitimate "free" service so was very surprised to have the post closed but I do not make the rules and want to abide by what they are.

the_man_one Thanks for listing "crackle, popcornflix, snagfilms, youtube, Vudu, contv and twitch" As a beginner this gives me some idea what others consider OK. Hope some others will list their favorite free sites!

I have no problem to watch free shows on IMDb tv for example Columbo screen
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-03-14_105038.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	52347  

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The following is probably why the IMDB.TV thread was closed and is common with most streaming sites, free or paid that you agreed to when you became a member of the site.

TL;DR: By becoming a member, you're only allowed to view the videos online and agreed not to download them. My emphasis.

https://www.imdb.com/conditions

License and Site Access
    Subject to your compliance with these Conditions of Use and your payment of any applicable fees, IMDb or its content providers grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable license to access and make personal and non-commercial use of the IMDb Services, including digital content available through the IMDb Services, and not to download (other than page caching) or modify this site, or any portion of it, except with express written consent of IMDb. Additional license terms may be found in the Terms. The IMDb Services or any portion of such services may not be reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, resold, visited, or otherwise exploited for any commercial purpose without express written consent of IMDb. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of any IMDb Service or its contents or any derivative use of this site or its contents. All licenses are non-exclusive and all rights not expressly granted to you in these Conditions of Use or any applicable Terms are reserved and retained by IMDb or its licensors, suppliers, publishers, rightsholders, or other content providers. You will use all IMDb Services in compliance with all applicable laws.
    Quote Quote  
  13. lingyi Thanks for your detailed comments! Must admit did not read that carefully,
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's always a good idea to read the TOS or Conditions of Use on any site as it's the 'gotcha' that can get the individual and this site in trouble.

It goes further in that IMDB.TV is directly linked to the Amazon Prime Video Terms of Service:

"IMDb TV
    By viewing content on IMDb TV, you agree to the Amazon Prime Video Terms of Use."
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member Emeritus
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    ... and is common with most streaming sites, free or paid that you agreed to when you became a member of the site.
    Terms of service agreements are, as you say, common with most streaming sites.

They are also increasingly common with physical media, or other physical goods, like smartphones and John Deere tractors.

Most likely, violating terms of service is not a crime, but doing so could be the basis for exposure to civil liability. At least in the US.

Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    you're only allowed to view the videos online and agreed not to download them.
    Any viewing of any video via the internet requires that the content be downloaded in its entirety. "Streaming" is a form of downloading, with little technical difference. If there is any difference, it amounts to where the download is saved.
    Last edited by ponens; 12th Jun 2020 at 09:24.
    Quote Quote