VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I'm facing an issue while converting a m2ts with an interlaced H264 video stream (scan type : "MBAFF"). It's nicely deinterlaced on the fly by MPC-HC. After converting it with VirtualDub2 + x264, the resulting file has a "Progressive" scan type, but the content is still interlaced (comb effect) and won't be deinterlaced by MPC-HC as (I suppose) the metadata Scan type is set to "Progressive". I'm sure the resulting file is still interlaced as ffplay with yadif option plays it perfectly (but MPC-HC won't). So it seems to be a wrong metadata.
    So far I tried :
    • converting the file to MKV format -> still Progressive
    • remuxing the file to MKV format and then change the "Video interlaced flag" + "Video field order"-> scan type is "Interlaced" but a new flag appears : "Original scan type" sest to "Progressive" (= conflict between the container flag and the stream flag) -> still won't be deinterlaced by MPC-HC
    • I thought about using Handbrake but I need to edit the file (cut parts) so, I'm sticking with VirtualDub2 so far.
    Any idea on how to force the stream flag?
    Last edited by GD314; 14th Mar 2020 at 05:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. In the extra command line box for the x264 configuration enter

Code:
    --tff
    This is for "top field first" . It enables TFF MBAFF encoding

This is "during" encoding. Not "after". You can't properly change it afterwards (you need to encode it MBAFF, you have an existing progressive encoding)
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you're doing any filtering in VirtualDub it will blur the chroma because the program doesn't handle interlaced YV12 properly (it treats them as progressive). It will be noticeable any time highly saturated colored objects are moving.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both for the answers and the solution : it works!
    No filtering in virtualdub.

I get 2 warnings by x264 during encoding though, but the result is as expected :
    • x264vfw [warning]: interlace + weightp is not implemented
    • x264vfw [warning]: interlaced (1) > level limit (0)
    Last edited by GD314; 13th Mar 2020 at 10:18.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by GD314 View Post

I get 2 warnings by x264 during encoding though, but the result is as expected :
    • x264vfw [warning]: interlace + weightp is not implemented
    • x264vfw [warning]: interlaced (1) > level limit (0)
    First one is normal;

For the 2nd, just set the level to "auto" or L4.1 . You probably changed it from the default
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, it was 4.2. If I change it to 4.1, only the first warning remains.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote