VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello -

I'm looking for a webcam which has a built-in external mic input, say a 3.5 mm jack.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Budget?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Let's say, under $200?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't see anything for that cheap.

Though I did see a used ClearOne Unite150 for sale on ebay for $399. And if it is in good condition, at that price it's a steal. (Not affiliated in any way)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, Scott.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Any mic into a cheap <$200 Canon dslr with https://sparkosoft.com/sparkocam
    Quote Quote  
  7. https://zoom-na.com/zoom-q2n-handy-video-recorder
    Zoom q2n video recorder with high quality built in mic and mic jack capable of webcam mode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You're not going to believe this, but the TV station I work for is looking for a way for our reporters to get on the air from home in case they can't come to the station due to the coronavirus and are quarantined.

It's a good idea and we conduct interviews remotely from time to time using Skype/Zoom and whatever webcam the interview subject happens to have. My complaint is that the audio is always so crappy due to the use of onboard webcam mics. If it's our reporter and our equipment, I was wondering if there was a way to make it not sound like they're in a tunnel.

They're thinking of using cell phones. We would want to stabilize the phone with some kind of holder, and turn the picture so it is in the "landscape" format. And hopefully get off the onboard mic. Of course, they're averse to spending money and want a solution that's cheap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Then don't be looking for a mic input on the cam, look instead for a direct usb mic. Many good inexpensive options there. Less for wireless lavs, but one can alway connect a traditional mic setup to computer either with audio mic jack on computer, cap card, AD device like Scarlett, or one my faves, the Shure X2U usb adapter.

As I have written about before, the Samson GoMic usb portable tabletop mic, and similar mics in that family, are VERY GOOD quality for their price.

Wired lavs w 35mm output might work ok w phones, but might be too weak signal w/o amplification.

Yes, you want separate paths, setups, locations/positioning for Audio & Video to optimize each.
    And remind those newscasters that the best practices for Audio & Video hold true whether it is in the studio or doing remote work - including a controlled environment (lights, no noise/interruptions, low echo, fewer shadows, clean background, proper dress), head&shoulders view, close miking...

Considering what I am having to accomplish to enable this University to work remotely right now, I can quite certainly believe it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. That Zoom Q2n looks promising. Will investigate further.

Thanks.

I have to keep in mind that these things will be used by non-technical personnel, so elaborate setup is kind of out of the question. We'll be lucky if they can figure out how to plug in an external mic.
    Last edited by chris319; 13th Mar 2020 at 19:49.
    Quote Quote