VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi! I'm new, and not very knowledgeable about software. I have some (hopefully) very basic questions, and hopefully this forum can help me with some easy answers!

1) What's the best way to run AviSynth on a Mac? (I have a 2019 Macbook Air running Mojave 10.14.4.) I need to install either PlayOnMac or Wine first, correct? Or is there another way nowadays?

2) What's the "best way" (meaning, highest video quality/least alteration to the data) to copy/unpack a file from a DVD and prep it for editing in AviSynth?

My end goal is to dump out sequences of single frames into individual .tifs to test upscaling techniques on -- so I'm aiming for 100% lossless frame captures. (I know DVDs are already compressed in a lossy way, but I don't want to degrade/alter the image data any further.)

I'm sorry if these are often-asked questions. I did look around for answers, but didn't find much. Let me know if you need additional info from me!

Thank you all!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for dvd copying on a mac there's MakeMKV or dvdfab for mac - https://www.dvdfab.cn/dvd-copy-for-mac.htm
    dvdfab for mac is updated frequently and can open newer discs with newer copy protections
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. Is one of those two considered "better" than the other? (These are old discs released 15 years ago, if that makes a difference.)

I used to use MacTheRipper to extract the VOBs. Is that still considered a good method nowadays?

I gather that MakeMKV...makes mkvs. Does that alter or recompress the DVD's image files at all? Is mkv a format that AviSynth can edit?

Finally: my understanding of a DVD's VOB is that it's compressed -- and I should "uncompress" it; save the full, much larger file; and work with that in AviSynth. (Sort of like opening a .jpg and resaving it as a .tif.) Is that the case? And if so, what's the best way to do that, without losing/altering/compressing any image data from the DVD?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    makemkv does not change the video in any way. nor does it compress
    the video to make smaller. - https://www.videohelp.com/software/MakeMKV
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you!

Can anyone speak to any of my other questions?
    Quote Quote