VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone know of program that can put a white border around a photograph jpg or png with a click without going through the roundabout photoshop way?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If it's something you're going to do often, you can make a ffmpeg batch file and put it in your sendto folder.

"c:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo"

So you can use the windows context menu. ie. right click an image => send to => [select the batch name, make sure you use a descriptive one], it will automatically process it. If you group select a bunch of images (shift or ctrl), it will process the entire selection

you would use -vf pad in ffmpeg
    https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#pad-1

e.g add 8 pixel white border, output images to directory "V:" as png, with the same name as input files

Code:
    for %%i in (%*) do ffmpeg -i %%i -vf pad="width=iw+16:height=ih+16:x=8:y=8:color=0xFFFFFF" "V:\%%~ni.png"

pause
    Obviously you have to customize it, maybe you want a different location, maybe you want larger border etc...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If it's something you're going to do often, you can make a ffmpeg batch file and put it in your sendto folder.

"c:\users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo"

So you can use the windows context menu. ie. right click an image => send to => [select the batch name, make sure you use a descriptive one], it will automatically process it. If you group select a bunch of images (shift or ctrl), it will process the entire selection

you would use -vf pad in ffmpeg
    https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#pad-1

e.g add 8 pixel white border, output images to directory "V:" as png, with the same name as input files

Code:
    for %%i in (%*) do ffmpeg -i %%i -vf pad="width=iw+16:height=ih+16:x=8:y=8:color=0xFFFFFF" "V:\%%~ni.png"

pause
    Obviously you have to customize it, maybe you want a different location, maybe you want larger border etc...
    Thanks i found a program on my PC Inpixio photo clip
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi David

Just as an alternative, and quite easy... something I do alot, I use Irfanview's canvas and/or overlay feature to decorate my screenshots.

I get a bit carried away with my screenshots so sometimes I load the image in Irfanview, go to Menu-Image-Change canvas size, and select the number of pixels I want to surround the image. Selecting top, bottom, left, right sides, whatever # of pixels (can be different for each side). The canvas color is selected using the standard-fare Windows color wheel (color picker) - I Save-as whatever the default image is - .jpg, .png. I use Save-as to preserve the original image until I like the result.

The overlay/watermark feature is nice too, you can get a bit more professional at an easy price ... create a simple background whatever size larger than your overlay image (original), using create new empty image. Once you have a simple background in the color you like drop the original on top using Edit-Insert overlay. You have a few choices in location - centering the pic makes the most sense. You can add a bit of transparency to your overlay, it actually works in some cases - looks kinda cool. I Save-as to preserve the original image.

You can also use any image you might have as a background, or find one, cut to size, and then drop your original onto it as well (Insert overlay) - this usually looks the best. The color picker works for simple colors but putting a nice pic onto the top of a nice wallpaper (whatever) really can doctor up a pic.

Again, just some options... and it took longer to type this than it would to do it in most cases and the result is very decent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    While I agree there should be plenty of offerings to do this, especially in batch (free too), with ffmpeg, gimp, irfanview, etc., what is so "roundabout" in Photoshop? You can easily create a set of actions that you incorporate into either the "image processor" or the "batch" options, and with the batch one, you can just drop files onto them and they run. This sounds just like what the others were suggesting.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MikeIsMe View Post
    Hi David

Just as an alternative, and quite easy... something I do alot, I use Irfanview's canvas and/or overlay feature to decorate my screenshots.

I get a bit carried away with my screenshots so sometimes I load the image in Irfanview, go to Menu-Image-Change canvas size, and select the number of pixels I want to surround the image. Selecting top, bottom, left, right sides, whatever # of pixels (can be different for each side). The canvas color is selected using the standard-fare Windows color wheel (color picker) - I Save-as whatever the default image is - .jpg, .png. I use Save-as to preserve the original image until I like the result.

The overlay/watermark feature is nice too, you can get a bit more professional at an easy price ... create a simple background whatever size larger than your overlay image (original), using create new empty image. Once you have a simple background in the color you like drop the original on top using Edit-Insert overlay. You have a few choices in location - centering the pic makes the most sense. You can add a bit of transparency to your overlay, it actually works in some cases - looks kinda cool. I Save-as to preserve the original image.

You can also use any image you might have as a background, or find one, cut to size, and then drop your original onto it as well (Insert overlay) - this usually looks the best. The color picker works for simple colors but putting a nice pic onto the top of a nice wallpaper (whatever) really can doctor up a pic.

Again, just some options... and it took longer to type this than it would to do it in most cases and the result is very decent.
    OK. Thanks for the suggestion
    Quote Quote  
  7. Faststone image viewer is free and does borders
    Quote Quote