VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I wrote before about an issue I had with a certain BD disk and DVDFab Passkey (I have not checked if the latest version now plays that disk)

But this week I acquired a brand new release of 'Scandal' on the BFI label, the same label as the previous disk. I also installed the latest version of Passkey. The disk appeared to load fine.

The disk came yesterday and I just played the extras. And there was no issue with those. (On the earlier disk I could play the main feature but NOT the extras)

Tonight, I fired up the same disk with Passkey - I previously wrote that Passkey must be enabled even tho the software player is set for Zone B. No Blu Ray disks play when Passkey is not running (Yes. I also threw that at DvdFab with no response) - and I was greeted with a message - not the exact wording but you will get the message - :

"Copy detected or you are trying to play this disk with a Ripper running - if playing the disk on a PC"

The disk refuses to play. But the question is how the feck can a disk detect installed software ? Bottom line is if this is the future then programs like Passkey - used just for playback as I have no interest in ripping - are finished.

I will throw the message at DVDFab but their typical response is to upload a significant part of the disk and their FTP usually times-out before the upload is competed.

Has anyone else seen such a message ?

The release is dual-format so atleast I can play the dvd. But that is faint compensation.
    Quote Quote  
  2. BD protection has always been "intelligent". It runs in a VM, just like you can run Windows in VMWare. There's always a race between those who develop the obfuscation techniques and those who look to bypass them. It's probably just a matter of time before PassKey is updated to work around this particular scheme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD%2B
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An example of how "intelligent" the copy protection because of the Javascript required by the Blu-Ray spec can be:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dvdfab-software-introduces-world-first-095900491.html

What's interesting is that I don't see any threads by people having a problem ripping the UHD version of Midway.

More about BD-J, which I've never heard about before reading the above article.

"BD-J

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BD-J, or Blu-ray Disc Java, is a specification supporting Java ME (specifically the Personal Basis Profile of the Connected Device Configuration or CDC) Xlets for advanced content on Blu-ray Disc and the Packaged Media profile of Globally Executable MHP (GEM).

BD-J allows bonus content on Blu-ray Disc titles to be far more sophisticated than bonus content provided by standard DVD, including network access, picture-in-picture and access to expanded local storage. Collectively, these features (other than internet access) are referred to as "Bonus View", and the addition of internet access is called "BD Live." BD-J was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association. All Blu-ray Disc players supporting video content are required by the specification to support BD-J.[1] Starting on October 31, 2007, all new players are required to have hardware support for the "Bonus View" features, but the players may require future firmware updates to enable the features. "BD Live" support is always optional for a BD player.[2]

Sony's PlayStation 3 has been the de facto leader in compliance and support of BD-J.[citation needed] The PlayStation 3"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    An example of how "intelligent" the copy protection because of the Javascript required by the Blu-Ray spec can be:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dvdfab-software-introduces-world-first-095900491.html

What's interesting is that I don't see any threads by people having a problem ripping the UHD version of Midway.

More about BD-J, which I've never heard about before reading the above article.

"BD-J

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BD-J, or Blu-ray Disc Java, is a specification supporting Java ME (specifically the Personal Basis Profile of the Connected Device Configuration or CDC) Xlets for advanced content on Blu-ray Disc and the Packaged Media profile of Globally Executable MHP (GEM).

BD-J allows bonus content on Blu-ray Disc titles to be far more sophisticated than bonus content provided by standard DVD, including network access, picture-in-picture and access to expanded local storage. Collectively, these features (other than internet access) are referred to as "Bonus View", and the addition of internet access is called "BD Live." BD-J was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association. All Blu-ray Disc players supporting video content are required by the specification to support BD-J.[1] Starting on October 31, 2007, all new players are required to have hardware support for the "Bonus View" features, but the players may require future firmware updates to enable the features. "BD Live" support is always optional for a BD player.[2]

Sony's PlayStation 3 has been the de facto leader in compliance and support of BD-J.[citation needed] The PlayStation 3"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J
    dvdfab just recently introduced UHDPath - https://www.dvdfab.cn/uhdpath.htm
    and already has support for MIDWAY (2019)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies.

The threads are quite old but there is a certain similarity. The on-screen message is the same but there is no web-link. And the message comes instantly - no playback at all.

The consenus is that Passkey has been 'fooled' into selecting the wrong playlist (just as it did with the earlier disk but with reverse procedure). I should mention that a couple of months ago I did acquire another release from this label which was also quite current and that played fine and in the version of Passkey that refused to play these disks.

So if it is indeed selecting the wrong playlist how does one use playback software to select the right one ? Or is that just for full-disk backups which is not a path I intend to go down.

I also tried DVDFab's new version of their player. The older one did actually play that first disk. The new one will not load the new disk.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

The threads are quite old but there is a certain similarity. The on-screen message is the same but there is no web-link. And the message comes instantly - no playback at all.

The consenus is that Passkey has been 'fooled' into selecting the wrong playlist (just as it did with the earlier disk but with reverse procedure). I should mention that a couple of months ago I did acquire another release from this label which was also quite current and that played fine and in the version of Passkey that refused to play these disks.

So if it is indeed selecting the wrong playlist how does one use playback software to select the right one ? Or is that just for full-disk backups which is not a path I intend to go down.

I also tried DVDFab's new version of their player. The older one did actually play that first disk. The new one will not load the new disk.
    have you tried VLC media player ??
    Last edited by october262; 1st Mar 2020 at 04:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Not as yet. Although I did manage to play the extras from that first disk with that.

Does VLC load the playlist - I would imagine there are quite a few of them - or would you simply select the largest file in the appropriate folder. Would encryption prevent playback ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    BD protection is very "intelligent". It works in a VM same like as Windows in VMWare. who look to bypass them.You have to update the passkey to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by George53 View Post
    BD protection is very "intelligent". It works in a VM same like as Windows in VMWare. who look to bypass them.You have to update the passkey to work.

If you must reply can you actually write something that has either not been written before i.e jagabo already stated that copy-protection override works in a VM and I aleady mentioned in my OP that I was using the latest version of Passkey.

Now. Enough of that. I can actually get the main movie to run. Selecting file mode from within PowerDVD even with Passkey running (would not even get this far if it did not) resulted in 'sticky' playback. The same happens in VLC.

Yet fire up Windows Explorer, Passkey is still running (and has already read the disk I must add) and play with either VLC or PowerDVD and I get smooth playback (and for PowerDVD at least(not specifically tested in VLC) I can select the different audios which, essentially, are commentaries)

Maybe someone will inform DVDFab and then might be able to fix this disk. I will not lose any sleep over it.

On a side note, reading the booklet I learnt that this film was the first to be executively produced by a certain Mr. Weinstein. And we all know what happened after that do not we.

On another side note, the video, although scanned form the camera negative still has that 2/3 sec blur in the 'orgy'. Only a few years later that would not even have raised an eyebrow what with the release of '9 Songs' as just one example. I do own a much earlier dvd release from the US which claims to be 'uncut'. Must fire that up gain to see if that sequence is there although I do understand that Weinstein, whilst pushing for an 'X', also cut the film for US distribution.
    Quote Quote