VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If you go here:
    https://www.vpngate.net/en/howto_softether.aspx
    you can download and install one exe to get this free vpn.
    There are many countries to choose from, starting mostly from Japan, then as you scroll down, you can see other countries. I tried all the UK vpns, but I am getting Google in Japanese, indicating that it is not UK. I tried to look at
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000flwt
    but got geo error, further indicating that vpn is not working correctly.
    (Note, I can use trial of hideallip and look at above bbc website and download video, no problem.)
    My question: Can someone look at this vpn and tell me why the Google is in Japanese, when I choose UK vpn?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not going to download any executable from an unknown website and I highly, highly recommend no one else does either!

In addition, free VPNs and proxies are notorious for data mining your info (that's how they are able to offer it for free). And there's no guarantee that they won't track and retain your traffic info. Again, highly, highly recommend not using anything that doesn't show up on the best free VPN Google searches.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Lingyi is spot on with his response. If you must use a free option - google free proxy list for the country concerned and learn how to pass the proxy command in ffmpeg/streamlink/yt-dl.

Never trust or use a 'free vpn'.
    Last edited by codehound; 6th Mar 2020 at 17:16.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I agree with the "don't trust free vpn" sentiment.

But VPN's buy/sell IP addresses all the time. The companies that track what country corresponds to what IP address are often behind the times. So your VPN may indeed be in the UK now -- but it was previously in Japan and the database hasn't been updated yet. You can check for this using a tracert (command line utility).

Also, web sites often use other means to determine where you are located. Your web browser can tell them your time zone, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, I think you could look at the website shown in my first post. Website says the software is open source and run by the University of Japan.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    Well, I think you could look at the website shown in my first post. Website says the software is open source and run by the University of Japan.
    Why? Your question has been answered above and there are better options.

Edit: To be clear, I'm sure your intention is just to clarify what's causing your issue, but my point as I stated above is people shouldn't download and install any software, no matter the source and credentials unless they're absolutely sure it's safe. Which includes researching the developer/website. In the case of vpngate.net a Google search brings up this review which raises a huge red flag and huge no go:

"VPNgate Review & Test (2020) - Free, but not worth the risk

Unfortunately, they do collect user data logs which is a huge blow for those seeking to surf anonymously. This is often the case with free VPN services, however there are plenty of paid options out there to solve this dilemma.

In terms of reliability this VPN is perhaps a more volatile and risky option compared to commercially established providers who run a business supported by paid users, not volunteers. Why is this? Only the good nature of the volunteers is what keeps this service alive, and also the willpower of its owners who at any time could decide to abruptly discontinue operations. After all, this was merely a research project, with no obligation to its foreign users, and has stated an intention to only last a few more years."

Source: https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/vpngate/

The second paragraph is really scary as what's to prevent the 'volunteers' from taking and selling your logs or tracing them back to you?

Edit: I briefly considered running the software in a VM just to see I could add any info, but now it's a definite no!
    Last edited by lingyi; 7th Mar 2020 at 18:38.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re-reading the review is linked to above, this seems to the the reason (which jagabo stated, database hasn't been updated) and makes using the software even scarier as there's no centralized servers your traffic is flowing through.

"They are kept alive by volunteers rather than relying on paid users. Volunteers are not only located in Tsukuba but internet users around the world who host their own relay server by supplying their ISP bandwidth and CPU power. Other users around the world can then connect to one of these IP addresses to access the web and benefit from all the positive functions that a VPN can offer: unblock restricted content, surf anonymously and maintain privacy. Volunteers come and go on a frequent basis, so the range of IP addresses change regularly which has the advantage of offering users a wider range of servers based in various locations around the globe."
    Quote Quote