VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

I am from the UK and I have some NTSC vhs tapes that I'm trying to capture to DVD.

My VCR doesn't have do NTSC playback - It plays the footage as PAL-60.

I tried connecting the VCR to my DVD recorder deck only to discover that the dvd recorder deck cannot handle the PAL-60 NTSC signal from the VCR.

Can anyone recommend a cost effective VHS/DVD Recorder Deck which can play the tapes as true NTSC and record the footage in NTSC format?

I have heard some panasonics will do the job but the posts I have already read seem ambigious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PAL-60 is NTSC playback on PAL equipment.

There were some Phillips VCR/DVD combos that, if I read correctly, could take NTSC source and write to PAL dvd. But one is talking of equipment 10+ years ago

What you really should do is capture the VHS using a PAL-60 compatable capture card such as the Hauppauge USB-Live2 and create the dvd from that capture. And much cheaper than trying to source legacy combos. This, of course, assumes that the VHS is not macrovision protected. Even the combo would fail with that and a PC capture would also require additional equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Some Pioneer and Sony DVD-Recorders can record PAL-60 to NTSC DVDs, and also output a NTSC signal when passed a PAL-60 signal. I have used a Pioneer DVR-440 to go from PAL-60 to NTSC to capture card myself (make sure it's set to output NTSC in the menus). I think related and newer models probably work as well, you can check the manuals online.

Looks like some panasonic VCR/DVD-recorder combos can also record to DVD from NTSC tapes (but not from a PAL-60 input signal). Other combos may be able to do the same but I'm not too familiar with them.

There are multi-system decks floating around in PAL countries that can output normal NTSC signals but they are not all that common.

As mentioned capturing to a computer and creating a DVD from there is also an option.

If you only have a few tapes a transfer service may also be cheaper.
    Last edited by oln; 23rd Feb 2020 at 08:48.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes dvd recorders from Sony (RDR HXD 890,870,970,1070) can do that (3.58 ntsc or Pal60). These are great imo they all have the proc amps (you can modify luma levels, black levels, chroma noise etc..) not to mention the HQ+ recording mode (15000 mbps) way higher than most dvd recorders. hdmi output also...
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies guys. I will certainly look into a Hauppage USB-Live2 if needs be.

I accidently stumbled across a listing for a Pioneer DVR-545HX. The Manual states that this recorder can handle PAL-60 as per page 137 - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/136137/Pioneer-Dvr-940hx-S.html?page=137&term=ntsc&selected=9

Can someone just check this for me before I show more interest. I would like a second opinion on the information I see in the manual. Would it be ok to buy this deck?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More clarity on Page 150.

It does appear that you can record PAL60 from an external input ie your vcr.
    Quote Quote  
  7. "Can anyone recommend a cost effective VHS/DVD Recorder Deck which can play the tapes as true NTSC and record the footage in NTSC format?"

If those ntsc vhs tapes aren't copy protected, anything like a Panasonic dmr-ez48 dvd/vhs deck can copy with one button press.

Otherwise, ntsc vhs deck to device that removes copy protection to ntsc dvd recorder (or into capture card on pc, then burn to ntsc dvd).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The critical words from the OP are 'cost effective'

While his tapes may not be available on commercial dvd, if they are it would not be cost effective to spend £100+ on a Panny - and it was already mentioned in the thread that Panny's can do this - when he can simply cut his losses and buy the dvds which will, all things being equal, be far better quality.

And one would be very lucky to find native NTSC equipment in the UK (same as you would be lucky to find native PAL equipment in the US) . Importing it would hardly be cost effective.

One other thing. I do not know how efficient Panny's or even the Pioneer, which has caught the OP's eye, are in dubbing from VHS to dvd but in my own experience this is the worse method since all the noise on the tape is recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  9. In either case, with the Sony/Pioneer or Panasonic combo deck, one could record the output (in the pioneer/sony case just passing it through) to a capture card, which gives you the stabilization provided by them while still being able to edit etc before making a DVD. I've done this with a pioneer DVR in the past with NTSC tapes as I don't have a ton of NTSC equipment lying around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll bow to your experience on pass-through but I thought that only certain models provided this.

Even so, it still comes down to cost.

Right now I also have 'some' NTSC tapes which one day I will transfer again - I did it many years ago with a Matrox card that handled it fine but the quality of the blank media has let me down and these are generally un-playable. Hopefully my Hauppauge will still work then.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Only the Sony/Pioneer dvdrs do as far as I know support PAL60. The Panasonic combos seem to be able to record to dvd from NTSC tapes played in them judging by the manual, but only supports normal NTSC from external input from what I've seen (not sure about NTSC 4.43). Same with other PAL Panasonic DVD/HDD-recorders, they are typically NTSC/PAL switchable in the menu. It depends on what's easiest to get a hold of I suppose, the DVDRs are likely cheaper and easier to get than a Panasonic Combo deck or a multi-system VCR, and is a step up from direct-to-capture card. That said if there are only a few tapes using a transfer service may be cheaper.

Of course if your tapes have macrovision things will be more complicated.
    Last edited by oln; 23rd Feb 2020 at 18:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A transfer service may be cheaper but most UK based services will not go near commercial tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, you have been a great help. I appreciate it.

So I managed to agree a deal on the Pioneer DVR-545HX for less than the cost of a Hauppage USB-Live2. Got lucky I guess.

I'll be collecting it on the weekend and be feeding a PAL-60 signal into the Pioneer DVR deck from a Sharp VCR. I'll post my findings for reference.

p.s - my tapes are non commercial and there are too many to give to a company that handles transfers. to be honest I did send a few of the tapes to a company who is professional, using TBC's and all that type of equipment but I have been disappointed with the results from a pro panasonic VCR they used. I'm aware describing VHS transfer quality can be subjective however I asked them to try on a pro JVC vcr too and the results were noticably different. It seemed that the Panasonic uses a setting to handle the 'noise' in the picture and ends up with a grainy looking picture however colours look good in comparison to the JVC where the picture looked good but colours where very pale or NTSC-esque if that makes sense (greens and yellows).

I've done a few PAL VHS to DVD Recorder transfers before at home and have been satisfied with the results.
    Last edited by Imy; 24th Feb 2020 at 08:43.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I recieved my Pioneer DVR-545HX deck today. I purchased a used one for £25 and the results are positive.

I was able to play an NTSC tape in my UK VCR which displays the picture in PAL-60 format and feed the signal into the Pioneer deck which recorded it in true NTSC format.

The transfer results are brilliant and to my amazement much better than the professional video transfer company I used.

So guys - Pioneer DVR-545HX can handle NTSC played as PAL-60 and records it as true NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Always glad to read of a positive results.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    Some Pioneer and Sony DVD-Recorders can record PAL-60 to NTSC DVDs, and also output a NTSC signal when passed a PAL-60 signal. I have used a Pioneer DVR-440 to go from PAL-60 to NTSC to capture card myself (make sure it's set to output NTSC in the menus). I think related and newer models probably work as well, you can check the manuals online.

Looks like some panasonic VCR/DVD-recorder combos can also record to DVD from NTSC tapes (but not from a PAL-60 input signal). Other combos may be able to do the same but I'm not too familiar with them.

There are multi-system decks floating around in PAL countries that can output normal NTSC signals but they are not all that common.

As mentioned capturing to a computer and creating a DVD from there is also an option.

If you only have a few tapes a transfer service may also be cheaper.
    Yep, i have that Panasonic model, you can set it for PAL or NTSC tapes, so you get a normal PAL50 or NTSC60 output for 720x480 or 720x576 capture, also usable as passthrough, it can also can produce PAL or NTSC dvd's depending on which VHS tape put in it, you have to set things up in de menu's in the panny though, it's not an "auto" feature.
    Originally Posted by oln View Post

Of course if your tapes have macrovision things will be more complicated.
    The Panasonic combo can give you MacrovisionLess video over it's component progressive output
    but you need a capture device that will have component (YUV) RCA input(s)
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 1st Mar 2020 at 17:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    deleted/merged
    Quote Quote  
  18. Nice!

Post a short recorded clip sample from the disc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    im opposite situation, with one pal vhs tape and my equiptment its ntsc, im usa those machines are some way expensive. here. if any
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by godai View Post
    im opposite situation, with one pal vhs tape and my equiptment its ntsc, im usa those machines are some way expensive. here. if any
    You'd have to wait for a deal!
    E.g. $125 mutiregion vhs deck
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-MULTI-SYSTEM-SUPER-DRIVE-VCR-NTSC-PAL-MESCAM-4HEAD-...r/114132433244

Then just go for it. Sell the deck after for 2x!
    Or find a video conversion company that handles pal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    Nice!

Why should he ?. He stated he is happy with the results and happier than the results from a 'professional' service.

The only consequence of a sample is for people to 'rubbish' the result.

I posted my experience of dubbing from VHS to DVD with a combo. I'll stand by that. And I will even add that even transfer from external VHS to a dvd-recorder is a quick 'n dirty method.

He started the thread for a 'cost efficient' method of transferring the tapes. At £25 for some legacy equipment that still works efficiently that in itself is a 'result'. Anyone else stumbling across the topic and sourcing another unit may not be so lucky.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Nice!
    Why should he ?.
    The only consequence of a sample is for people to 'rubbish' the result.
    To know if is truly a good result? Some of us praise just as much as criticize.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  23. Good to see for reference what the output of this setup looks like for future reference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Except that another user with a different VCR, different DVR and different tapes will invariably get different results.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by godai View Post
    Just want to note that I don't think any of the NTSC equivialents of the DVRs discussed support PAL. PAL tapes in NTSC areas wasn't as big of a thing as the opposite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good to see for reference what the output of this setup looks like for future reference.
    Yep.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Except that another user with a different VCR, different DVR and different tapes will invariably get different results.
    Depends.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote