VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post

A quick example of using Mocha in After Effects to rotoscope dad out and eliminate the background people.

Without thinking much:
    While your method is "correct," you are seriously underplaying the effect of camera shake, lighting changes and moving background. This is not an easy task.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What pdr means is that the clip you have is created on the US NTSC system rather than the UK PAL system.

Where was the filming done ? It does not look like a typicial UK venue.

And by 'get sorted' do you mean that it was converted from whatever VHS standard to a HD standard since 1080p is not native to VHS.

Obviously, whoever handled the tape could do something with it else you would not get such a picture. And it really would be better to edit from an original capture rather than from some processed file. My offer to help still stands and I would prefer to, hopefully, use the original VHS rather than what we now see.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Here's an idea based on DB83's original suggestion:
    Note the audio cut at 1:08.
    After reviewing the footage again, with an eye to storytelling, rather than purely restoration, your idea is best.

Dad looks slightly inebriated. He's rambling a bit, maybe some slight slurring? An event photographer/videographer would (should) cringe. It's both a good and bad moment being caught on tape.
    Or was he just a goofy guy in general? A bit hammy for the camera?

You already have quite enough of that, and the last few seconds can EASILY fade to a still photo. When he says "it's been a wonderful day", cue a shot or two that really instills the idea of it being "a day" and "an event". For that reason, you'd also want this near the end of the video, and that section/segment on the video (if wedding, the group of "well wishes").

This not-easy task then becomes completely unnecessary.

Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    blah
    blah
    blah
    You're starting to be a VH troll.

With statements/attitudes like this:
    Premiere / After Effects has a free 1 week trial - ought to be enough time working on it 8 hours a day.
    The project isn't even due for months, so matting can be a lazy weekends project.
    Seriously, just go piss off.

My editing skills (just editing) are what I would refer to simply as "competent" (yet seem like magic to the masses), and you could probably learn what I know in 6-12 months (doing tasks daily or near-daily). But this project exceeds my skills somewhat, as this is a specialized outside-the-norm sort of editing task. I know what must be done here, but would need to learn the software better to do it. This project has some unique challenges, and is not your normal "remove person" type of project. It's not a easy task. Sure as hell not in 1 week.

You can probably monkey-see-monkey-do (Youtube) some rudimentary editing skills to create a project. Then learn the specific skill needed within a month, maybe. It's not a day project. Or a week project. If done only on weekend, you'll forget what you were doing last time.

Even with the knowledge, this project will take time. And not to build the mattes (I could do that in 1 day, others may take longer at it), but rather the cut-outs. Not just rough cuts, but seamless and invisible. There is no magic wand tool, it will be tedious manual maneuvering.

Note that I never even addressed software, with either legitimate costs, or potential negatives from trying to pirate it. Although it need be mentioned that Premiere CS2 is legit free, and runs on older Windows OS (up to Win7, not sure about 8/10). Not sure about After Effects (AE) CS2.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Obviously, whoever handled the tape.
    The source footage is butchered. It's not a good transfer job. The original tape needs to be re-transferred. And then it needs post-capture pre-edit restoration step, as it has issues.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 26th Feb 2020 at 21:54.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As an example, stabilizing the video would be an early task. This was one-passed, and may need a 2nd pass in AE to lock it down better.

This then makes the cutouts easier to do. And remove that crappy camera work to make it overall just more enjoyable.

The tape was processed badly to HD. Damage must be undone -- or better yet, recapture from the tape as SD. The HD is blurry, and has really damaged some of the borders. The overscan is a mess, should have been removed pre-HD. Many of the in-image cues that help stabilize are a mushy mess. This project probably should have been left SD, period.

To some degree, this tape is a perfect example of how NOT to shoot, how NOT to capture, how NOT to process post-shooting to final watchable format.

The audio is lousy.
    The video is blurry and underexposed, shot against bright background.

Whoever shot this should have told the guy to back off, get out of his shot. His client is the bride and groom, and anybody else that may get pissed during the event does not matter whatsoever. (This should have been a ground rule beforehand. Stuff like this happens, and the person shooting it needs some authority over the guests.)
    Image Attached Files
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVRproblem View Post
    Hello,

My Sister was married about 15 years ago, and my whole family has never really been able to watch the video.

Our father passed away shortly after the wedding, and on the video he is interviewed - of course, saying some nice things. However, my mother's ex-husband shows up behind him without him realising and stands behind him for the interview doing silly things on purpose (he didn't like my dad, and was pulling faces, etc... he is not a nice guy).
    Given what I've seen is *possible* at least if you have Steven Spielberg money, what comes to mind would be to make two copies - one with your Dad isolated, one with sections of the background when there's no one visible in the background, or at least sections that can be readily edited sequentially so it's not obvious and your Dad cut out.

Stabilize both independently, then overlay them such that what's behind your Dad is the doctored background minus the idiot - use the original soundtrack - as long as your Dad speaking is sync'd the rest of it is just crowd noise. If you were to somehow "erase" the idiot, his reflection is still going to be visible in the display case your Dad is standing near and I'm guessing any erasure is going to leave obvious artifacts.

If it's known that your Mom's ex is an assclown, why was he invited?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP has not been here for going on 2 years now. I made an offer to transfer the original tape for him F.O.C. and he did not take up on it.

And by now the rationale in getting this 'watchable' has also long passed.
    Quote Quote