VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I bought a TRV120 Digital 8 camcorder in great condition online a while back, thinking a firewire port would be a godsend for my quest to digitize 8mm tapes. Unfortunately I later discovered that the TRV120 doesn't appear to play most of my older 8mm tapes, mostly it just shows a blue or black screen and occasionally I see a bunch of rolling bars with some hints of images but the images unusable. It plays back video just fine when you record and play it back on the TRV120 so my assumption here is that some camcorders/decks are more picky about video signals. The same tape plays fine using a Samsung SCA30 8mm camcorder but that camcorder doesn't have S-video out. Is there a list of recommended 8mm decks/camcorders? (I know lists exist for VHS) I'm trying to capture tapes from the late 80's and 90's shot on Sony F70 and Samsung SCA30. Does playback in the camcorder that originally recorded the video, yield the best output? Should I try to find a way to get s-video out of the SCA30 for the best quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If the tapes playback fine on a different camcorder and the TRV120 plays back its recordings fine it means it's severely miss aligned, There are a lot of rookies out there mess with those camcorders thinking that's the problem but when they can't figure it out they give up and put them up online for sale. Buy locally if you can and take tapes with you to test.

Yes look for a camcorder with S-Video out and line TBC feature, Analog tapes are best captured from S-Video not the DV port.
    Quote Quote