VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have been testing out MPC-HC and I really like it but I have one major issue. The output dynamic range seems to be stuck on the wrong setting so blacks are washed out and whites are gray. It might not be noticeable if it weren't for the fact in every other player it is correct. VLC, PotPlayer and MPC-BE all display the correct dynamic range. I am using the AVS HD 709 Brightness Calibration video as a reference in each player. MPC-HC is the only one that's washed out.

Things I tried:
    • Within MPC-HC, I tried changing the View -> Renderer Settings -> Output Range but it is greyed out/non-clickable.
    • I tried going to Play -> Shaders -> Select Shaders and applying the "0-255 to 16-235" shaders (tried all 3) but they did nothing.
    • I tried going into Play -> Filters -> LAV Video Decoder settings and changing the output range in there but again, no difference.
    • (I restarted the player after every change).
    • I Confirmed the color range is correct in Nvidia CP, but I already knew it was because the other players are fine.
    • I installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

It seems like no matter what MPC-HC is stuck on the wrong range. I have tried the latest unofficial build of MPC-HC by clsid, version 1.9.1, as well as the last official release, version 1.7.13. Both versions behave exactly the same in regards to this matter, so it wasn't something done by clsid. The underlying issue must have existed since at least the last official release in 2017.

Again, every single other player has the correct color range out of the box without touching any settings: VLC, MPC-BE, PP. On my other computer, the problem is nonexistent. The color range is perfectly when fine using MPC-HC on that computer. I could just shrug it off and not use MPC-HC but I find I am liking it the best and seems to play direct from DVDs the best so I'd really like to use it as a primary player but this is a major issue to me, as it effects how everything looks.

System info: Windows 10 x64 fully updated, AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, GTX 1050

Thank you for any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Check the actual renderer being used
    (hit "o" for options => playback =>output)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Check the actual renderer being used
    (hit "o" for options => playback =>output)
    This is what it shows (image attached). I think these are the default settings. I don't recall changing anything in here. Anything look off/out of the ordinary?

Quote Quote  
  4. VMR9 (renderless) . Check the other computer's MPCHC - it probably isn't set to that

These days madvr seems to be popular
    Quote Quote  
  5. Image
    [Attachment 52053 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 52054 - Click to enlarge]

Your settings -> Playback -> Output -> Directshow Video Renderer choice can't use shaders (x).
    Pick any other video renderer that supports all the features (v).

Then, add the 16-255 to 0-255 shader.
    Quote Quote  
  6. He shouldn't need to use a shader to get full range playback in MPCHC. Something else is set up wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mphc can play back videos that have the levels encoded, I believe, but once you've got ripped videos, those usually do not.

And, if I output the japan mp4 to a ntsc usa tv set, I'll need to apply the opposite - a 0-255 to 16-235 shader.

E.g. I can rip a ntsc usa dvd and a ntsv japan dvd to mp4 files.
    I will need to apply a 16-235 to 0-255 shader for the usa dvd mp4, but not for the japan mp4 due to levels differences in the standards, when playing them on my pc monitor (which uses 0-255).
    Quote Quote  
  8. I seem to have solved this. Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction!

The solution was the following:

Change Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video from default VMR9 (renderless) to EVR (custom presenter).

This seems to provide the full dynamic range without any shaders. It works for everything I have been able to test so far (various calibration test videos and a random sampling of DVDs, MKVs, MP4s). Everything seems to match the output of all the other media players now, so I am very satisfied with MPC-HC and will be my primary media player for the time being. I was using PotPlayer a few weeks ago but ultimately decided it just felt too sluggish compared to either MPC-HC or MPC-BE, especially when loading files. Though there are many features PP has that I will miss.

I'm not sure why the default render of MPC-HC did not have full range on one computer, but did on the other. I confirmed that the other computer was also set to the default VMR9 renderless. Maybe I installed something in the past that is messing with things behind the scenes, or maybe it's just the combination of my video card and CPU. I don't know. But it seems to work perfect now with EVR (cp) as the renderer.

I will also be looking into madVR and following one of the guides to hopefully get even better quality.

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Evr has been the default recommended for Windows since Vista. Vmr are old and depreciated.

http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?showtopic=12698

ehathgepiurhe "EVR

The good:

Video quality is pretty good. Keep in mind however that the single biggest factor in video quality in a well coded modern media player is down to the clip you are playing - no renderer (or set of filters) will make a 320x240 clip look glorious in fullscreen 1920x1200 for example! What I am trying to say is that a renderer will have an effect on video quality but it's not magic and can't do the impossible - if you have a video clip that has been encoded at a low resolution or very lossy compression, there is nothing you can do to overcome that and you will need to find a better quality version of the clip.
    Hardware requirements are less than that of madVR, so if your system is not high end (but not really old and slow either), you might want to try this one first.
    On Windows Vista and Seven, EVR comes built-in to the operating system - meaning no extra download (both madVR and Haali's are separate downloads, though both are offered by Install Center).
    Very stable in day to day use. I can't say that I have seen any reports of EVR crashing either the player or a system.
    If you have a video playing, then have a UAC prompt appear, the video will not freeze (by freeze I mean that the audio continues, but the picture gets stuck - this is a problem with some renderers on systems with UAC enabled, which is the default for Vista and Seven).
    Supports hardware acceleration - DXVA, CUVID, QuickSync.
    The bad:

If you use Windows XP as opposed to Vista or Seven, EVR is only available with a certain .NET installation (I believe you will need at least v3.5 SP1), which you will need to install separately.
    I don't believe that this is being actively developed, though I may be wrong about this (if a renderer has a bug, unless it is being actively developed it will not be fixed, so this can be an important factor in your choice of a renderer). Because EVR comes with the operating system essentially, it is hard to tell if Microsoft are making any changes to it - which is why I can't be sure if it is being actively developed or not (I suspect not though).
    If you are using a version of Zoom Player pre v8.70 Beta, if you use EVR and pause Zoom Player, after a second or two, Zoom will advance to the next frame in the video you are playing. This sounds minor - but is actually pretty annoying.
    madVR

The good:

Generally regarded as giving the best picture quality - keep in mind that the differences between madVR and other renderers (EVR in particular) may not be apparent with all video files. Some people notice a difference, others don't see any difference, but my experience is that the differences are more noticeable on SD clips (rather than HD clips).
    Recommended by bLight (Zoom Player lead developer) as the renderer of choice for Zoom Player. As such, it is now integrated with Install Center to make it easier for people to access.
    Being actively developed (though madshi does have a day job, and occasionally takes a break from this free renderer to do commercial work which he gets paid for). Also being actively supported by madshi in the madVR thread over on Doom9 (with the same caveat - he does take the occasional break to do other things so you won't see him on the forums every single day).
    Has 'exclusive mode', which helps improve video playing quality in some cases - especially designed to remove tearing.
    Generally pretty stable in day to day use, though see the very last "bad" note below regarding this.
    Has a built in set of decoders (based on ffmpeg I think) for certain formats. Unusual for a renderer to have these built-in, but it means that if you use them, you won't need an external decoder for these formats (though I think the internal decoders have limitations such as not being able to be used with hardware acceleration - or something like that, I can't find the reference in the madVR thread now).
    Doesn't freeze when a UAC prompt is triggered, at least in windowed mode (not tested in exclusive mode, as I can't work out how to trigger a UAC prompt when I can't access the Windows desktop).
    Allows tuning of the scaling algorithms to your personal taste. Trade off video quality for performance for example.
    Can automatically set the display refresh rate based on content (i.e. to match the display refresh rate with the FPS of the video you are playing) - this allows smooth playback if your display devices supports the correct refresh rate.
    Also features automatic de-interlacing, though this is not 100% fool-proof due to how some clips are encoded (if you want you can disable this and just force de-interlacing on with a hotkey on a case by case basis).
    Allows use of a custom YCMS calibration file for further fine tuning video quality.
    Gives detailed live statistics (Ctrl+J).
    Supports hardware acceleration - DXVA, CUVID, QuickSync (v0.85.0 and later required for DXVA2 Native support, otherwise DXVA2 Copy-Back is the only option for DXVA).
    The bad:

Hardware requirements are higher than for any other renderer as madVR goes for video quality above all else. Requires Windows XP or above, a graphics card with full D3D9 / PS3.0 hardware support (note the bit I have bolded, software support does not count) and at least 128MB of dedicated graphics card memory.
    Exclusive mode makes madVR function as if it is a game - this means that when in exclusive mode, it is affected by your video driver settings. So if you force anti-aliasing in your video card settings, madVR will be affected. That means the renderer ties into the system a bit, and some people might find that limiting (they might have a setting that works well for their games but does not work well with madVR, and this would mean they would have to constantly change their settings or make a choice as to which way they go).
    Has a lot of cryptically named options to set if you go into the configuration. This won't be necessary if the installation defaults work for you, but if you want to tweak your video playback, this means you will have to i. Have a lot of time and patience (to try different combinations of settings), and ii. Will have to have a fairly in-depth knowledge of video playback if you want to do anything more than set options at random (there is no helpfile explaining each option - if you can't work out what it does by the name, or by a search of the madVR thread over on Doom9, you are out of luck).
    As it is more resource intensive, it is more likely to show up any problems in your system - you do see reports of madVR crashing the video player from time to time for example. More stress on a system equals a bigger chance of showing up any weaknesses in it.
    More "hit and miss" (i.e. it will either work well on your system, or it won't) than any of the other renderers. You do see reports of people who have nothing but trouble with madVR (such as myself for example), and reports from people who have no issues with madVR at all - you never really see anything in-between. This is likely related to the hardware requirements of the renderer, and the fact that it is more dependent on your overall system configuration than any other renderer. In simple terms, unlike with the other renderers, with madVR, you won't know if it is going to work well or not on your system until you actually try it.
    If you are using a version of madVR pre v0.86.3, if you have the Zoom OSD enabled, Zoom is in fullscreen mode and the automatic FSE mode option in madVR is enabled, when you pause a video, Zoom will move the video to the previous frame after a second or two. Basically the same issue as with EVR, where it Zoom moves to the next frame after you pause a video (except with EVR it is the next frame in the video, and with madVR it is the previous frame)."
    Quote Quote  
  10. https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/539362
    http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=323

Ie. This levels mess has been around a decade, along with the choice of video renderers.

That said, evr generally works.
    You'll want to test the others.

Also, don't forget the graphics drivers also often adjust color independently of the application (E.g. Intel drivers can override color, saturation, contrast globally regardless of what the application had set. )
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help me guys i have same problem.My output is already selected to EVR.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    try default portable mpc-be.
    But i like mpc-hc.
    It was ok before i am sure.I don't know how it was turn like this.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Nobody is going to guess what your problem is if you don't provide actual information.

Does it work with default mpc-be, does it affect all files ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by butterw View Post
    Nobody is going to guess what your problem is if you don't provide actual information.

Does it work with default mpc-be, does it affect all files ?
    No & Yes.
    Splash player works fine.
    Also madvr working correctly.
    But whenever i hover mouse on fullscreen mpc-hc (madvr) titlebar screens flashes.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    E.g. I can rip a ntsc usa dvd and a ntsv japan dvd to mp4 files.
    I will need to apply a 16-235 to 0-255 shader for the usa dvd mp4, but not for the japan mp4 due to levels differences in the standards, when playing them on my pc monitor (which uses 0-255).
    That is not true. Levels on properly made NTSC and PAL DVDs are the same: limited range 16-235. It's only SD analog video where NTSC uses 7.5 setup (raised black level) rather than NTSCJ's 0.0 setup.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Try going back to an older version, where this works for you.
    The issue could also be caused by a windows/gpu driver update (or a change in associated settings) or maybe a conflict with other screen software.

If the issue persists, this is where you should be posting:
    https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/issues
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175209
    Quote Quote