VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    hi everyone there is a question i need to ask right i am thinking about buying a Humax FVP5000T-1TB Smart Freeview Play HD TV Recorder
    or a Manhattan T2-R 500GB Freeview HD Recorder so i can record my freeview channels and play them on my computer cos my lg tv that has freesat and freeview when i record the programs through that i cant play them on the computer so i thought what i could do is buy a Humax FVP5000T-1TB Smart Freeview Play HD TV Recorder
    or a Manhattan T2-R 500GB Freeview HD Recorder and huck that up to the tv with the hdmi port cos the tv has 3 hdmi ports but what i need to ask is can you record a program with one of theses Recorders to a usb stick and then plug that into a computer and play it cos theses two Recorders says it has a hard drive
    if i did record a program how would i get it to the computer if the hard drive was bulit in can you record a program to the usb stick that way is a lot easy and then plug it into the computer to play it through the computer taking a hard drive out off onw of theses recorders is a bit of a pain to do i was thinking also about buying
    this one a iView HD FULL HD Combo Freeview & Freesat Receiver Recorder TV Satellite SKY Set Top Box that has freeview and freesat built in and records onto usb stick
    so what would be the best choice then cos i would like to have freesat and freeview in 1 box and record to usb stick but can the programms be played on the computer that is the question so if anyone can help me that would be great
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am going to ask the obvious. You want 'freesat' so do confirm that you actually have a dish on your property. 'Freeview' works with an aerial so does not require a dish.

I can not specifically answer your questions about viewing on a computer but there are certain considerations. Even recordings on a usb stick may require software which is only built in to the box so PC players will not see the usb contents.

Even trying to transfer recordings from the box by HDMI could not succeed due to HDCP (copy protection). And neither would removing the drive from the box and connecting it to a PC work for the same reason as with the USB stick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I can only speak from my own experience - I have a Humax Foxsat HDR that does everything you ask. It is an older model but does have Freesat as well as being able to show any other free to air channel, it uses Linux as it's internal operating system and has an Ethernet socket. With some hacked software the network can be used to transfer files directly from the hard drive to a PC, no transfer device needed at all, it just plugs into my router. From there I use "Flowblade" to top-and-tail movies and cut out the commercial breaks before encoding to MP4 and storing on my media server.

The other advantage of the hacked software is I can read the EPG and set recordings over the internet using only a smart phone.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get a bit nervous when I read the words "hacked software"

Does not exactly fit the OP's demands for Freeview as well as receiving the FTA stuff from Astra.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    also the Humax FVP5000T-1TB Smart Freeview Play HD TV Recorder has 3 tuners in it so does that mean it has freeview and freesat on this box
    cos it does not say anything on the site it just says it has 3 tuners in it so what are the 3 tuners are in it also can i record to usb stick or not cos i know it has a hard drive built
    but are there any settings through this box where you change the settings where the recordings go like i if i put a usb stick in it can i record to usb stick then
    if i maybe change some settings or does it just record to the built in hard drive only
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by elm View Post
    also the Humax FVP5000T-1TB Smart Freeview Play HD TV Recorder has 3 tuners in it so does that mean it has freeview and freesat on this box
    cos it does not say anything on the site it just says it has 3 tuners in it so what are the 3 tuners are in it also can i record to usb stick or not cos i know it has a hard drive built
    but are there any settings through this box where you change the settings where the recordings go like i if i put a usb stick in it can i record to usb stick then
    if i maybe change some settings or does it just record to the built in hard drive only
    The Humax FVP5000T-1TB is Freeview only. The tuners are for DVB-T and DVB-T2. The three tuners allow recording three different channels at the same time. The manual only mentions playing the user's media files from USB or copying the user's media files to or from the internal HDD. The manual doesn't say anything about recording to a USB drive or copying recordings from the internal HDD to a USB drive and playing them with another device. I would not count on either of those things being possible.

Seriously, you need to learn to RTFM (read the effing manual) so you can find answers for yourself. Today, manuals and product information are often available for download at the manufacturer's website, or easily found with your favorite search engine.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. I get a bit nervous when I read the words "hacked software"
    It is quite legit, the original firmware is intact, it just adds the extra files to Linux to allow for interfacing through the network socket and to run a web server. More info here: https://hummy.tv/forum/forums/foxsat-hdr-customised-firmware.38/ It is one of the best 'upgrades' to equipment I have ever seen and very professionally presented.

True, it doesn't have OTA Freeview but it can see any free to air transmission as well as the official Freesat 'bouquet' so many of the channels on Freeview that are outside of Freesat can also be viewed.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Requirements vary from country here in Australia I use one of these https://beyonwiz.com.au/product/beyonwiz-v2-pvr-media-box/ records all off air TV stations without any restrictions, networked and broadcasts are not encoded so you can transfer off to a PC or MAC. You can record to a NAS or an attached USB stick or memory card. The company is basically Korean but sells in Australia, this model is based on the European Enigma 2 model https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vu%2B
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote