VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. 1. 2k monitors starting at $89 (2k = 1920x1080)
    https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294966896+4294820805+116+429...low&SortNow=Go

2. ACER
    https://www.displayninja.com/acer-kg281k-review/
    A good basic TN monitor.
    Tn vs Ips panel.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gf2r717BfvY
    Watch from 1:00.

I prefer ips panels - these look better from all angles.

3. 4k ips monitors from $229
    https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294966896+4294820805+4294818...low&SortNow=Go

4k vs 2k
    It's like 300~ dpi laser printing vs 150dpi fax.
    If you've never seen a 4k at this size, you'd never know what you're missing.
    Once you've seen one, it's clear obvious and the 2k text looks grainy, pixellated. Much like phone screens before the iPhone retina display vs after.

Another 4k advantage is when you've got 2 windows side by side, or 2x2, you still have enough pixels so that everything is sharp and legible. On a 2k display, you run out of pixels quick. Only if you multitask....

For video editing, 4k is great for editing 2k. You can have the 2k clip at 1:1 pixel on screen, all the toolbars and editing interface around it without scaling.

But up to you. $89 2k vs $189+.
    E.g. My 28" tv is only 720 but perfectly fine because I'm viewing it from so many feet away, I couldn't even see more pixels.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    But up to you. $89 2k vs $189
    I feel kinda embarrassed now because, for whatever reason I thought 2k was slightly higher in pixel count than 1080p so you did in fact answer my original question in your first reply. Sorry about that. I guess I was thinking of QHD which is of course 2560 x 1440 but also referred to as 2k. But yeah, 1920x1080 x 2 =4K; duh me.

I went ahead and purchased the Acer Kg281. I'm not going to be viewing anything at any angles. I'm literally going to be 1.5 feet away from my screen at all times. Plus I will probably pass down this monitor to my oldest son for gaming if and/or when he gets the new xbox x series console. 4k for $180, Im good with that.

Thanks gain for your input and help!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Good to hear!
    Probably by that time 8k monitors will be hitting the market.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    babygdav is incorrect:
    2k does NOT = 1080p. 2k is 2048 x 1080. Full HD 1080p is 1920 x 1080. Almost ALL consumer "2k" monitors are actually 1080p monitors, no matter how they are marketed. 2k is a film-related resolution. 1080p is a video-related one. The big exception - some pro projectors are 2k, mainly because those are meant to project digital films.
    Similarly with 4k: 4k does NOT = UHD. 4k is 4096 x 2160. UHD(1) is 3840 x 2160. Again, almost ALL consumer monitors & TVs are actually UHD, NOT 4k even if they are marketed that way.
    So, 2k is slightly higher in pixel count (2211840 vs. 2073600, or 138240 more pixels).
    babygdav is otherwise on the right track with the advantages of "4k" computer monitors over HD. This benefit should always be taken cautiously with respect to DISTANCE, however.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. To be specific, there are regional differences as well as country specific and industry specific naming differences.

[Attachment 52218 - Click to enlarge]

Modern films are delivered digitally to theaters in digital packages with standard formats that ARE NOT FOUND in common consumer tvs and monitors.
    These 2K DCI, 4K DCI, 8K DCI...resolutions are slightly wider than the common tv/monitor resolutions of 1920x1080, Etc.

Outside of the film making industry, these dci resolutions are not used in general.

Japan is "sensible" and realizes that 1920x1080 is about 2 megapixels, thus 2K as an abbreviation. Same with 4k, 8k. Again, convenient abbreviations even though you've got 8MP, And 33MP respectively, and 3840 isn't a true 4000 pixels wide, nor is 7,680 a true 8000 pixels wide. The doubling of horizontal pixels as you go from 2k to 4k or 4k to 8k is what is important and represented by 2k, 4k, 8k.
    [Attachment 52219 - Click to enlarge]

America went nuts and couldn't decide.
    Thus, we've got standard 2K or Full HD (1920x1080) and 2K DCI (2048x1080) as common labels in use. They even used HD wrong as other countries only labeled 1920x1080 HD, not 1280x720 like it was in the USA.

It gets worse with 4K, often called UHD or Ultra HD, but also 4K UHD on bluray packaging and tv sets - all not the same resolution as 4K DCI. (You'll see camera manuals specifying 4K as the consumer resolution, 4K DCI as the filmmaking resolution on camera that support both, for example.)

In the end, I'm using 2k, 4k, 8k to represent common standard tv and monitor resolutions per consumer expectations and Asian specs, not per uncommon dci resolution standards only filmmakers use. This is in line with consumer cameras, camcorders, smartphones as well as tv specs that label 1920x, etc as 2k, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    Great info. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    Haven't been able to get my PC built. Been so dang busy. Hopefully this weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hopefully not because you're fighting the corona.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    Hopefully not because you're fighting the corona.
    Thankfully no but I am fighting some sort of head cold.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Cold - zinc to help deactivate the virus.
    Oysters, vitaminwater with zinc on the label, beef (yes burgers).

Flu - star anise in chicken stew, or same thing in $100+ tamiflu prescription (same compound as in star anise kills flu virus).

In both cases, otc antihistamine like claritin etc to stop the runny nose. Longer it runs, more it spreads the virus and the worse it gets.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by babygdav View Post
    Cold - zinc to help deactivate the virus.
    Oysters, vitaminwater with zinc on the label, beef (yes burgers).

Flu - star anise in chicken stew, or same thing in $100+ tamiflu prescription (same compound as in star anise kills flu virus).

In both cases, otc antihistamine like claritin etc to stop the runny nose. Longer it runs, more it spreads the virus and the worse it gets.
    I actually take all that stuff except the antihistimines. I don't like em. I add star anise extract to my coffee drink substitute every morning. Used to have it in my homemade herbal tea. Been eating oysters since I was a kid. Don't like vitamin water. I make fresh natural vegetable and fruit juice. Thanks for the advice though
    Quote Quote