VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi all i have used Vegas V10 for a long time for Super8 restoration, the Sharpen plugin has always been amazing. Does a really nice and clean job. Some years ago i upgraded to Vegas 11 thinking things would be better (i was hoping for a better de-interlacer) and the Sharpen plugin was suddenly a complete piece of garbage. Just terrible artifacts, smodgy, halos and chroming around edges, basically useless.

I went straight back to Vegas 10 and just sat tight.

Now i see its up to Vegas 17. Has anyone been a Vegas devotee for years and can tell me if the Sharpen has improved since V11 and (hopefully) is back to at least as good as how it was in Vegas V10? Have they improved their de-interlace algorithms with more options and is the de-interlace performing better?

Sometimes these big editors think its great to keep piling on new features on top of each other when its most often the nuts-and-bolts basic features like a good sharpen and de-interlace that sells the damn thing. (I often wonder if this sometimes gets lost in the excitement to advance to a new version)

many thanks,
    Blackout
    Quote Quote  
  2. First, Vegas Sharpen fX has always applied sharpening, even when set to zero. That was true from the beginning, although I think they finally fixed that somewhere around Vegas 13.

Then, when Vegas started adding GPU support, they got everything wrong. I used pretty much every version from 4 though 13, but quit upgrading when they sold to Magix because Vegas had gotten so buggy. The biggest problem was GPU. I still use Vegas 10, 11, &13 every week.

If you want to search the old Sony/Sonic Foundry forum (where I made thousands of posts), it still exists and can be searched here:

Sony Vegas Forum Search

You can find lots of posts there which can help you (try simply searching for "sharpen"). Here's one:

Vegas Sharpen plug-in - decreasing the level

You will find suggestions for several alternatives to the Sharpen plugin.

Second, it is imperative, when using the Sharpen fX, that you use "Best" for your rendering quality in the Render As dialog.

However, the post that you might find most interesting is this one:

Bug: Sony Sharpen behaves differently with GPU - Fixed in VP14

It discusses a bug that probably started back when the Sharpen fX was rebuilt to use GPU. The GPU produced significantly different results than without the GPU, and totally different results than previous versions of Vegas.

There are two solutions. The first one you can do right now: render with the GPU rendering turned OFF. The second is, apparently, to upgrade to Vegas 14. As I already mentioned, I never did that, so I cannot vouch for that advice.

I hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thank you john that is really great info. I remember reading something about it back in the day but could not find anything after several searches. I thought the posts might be here, but as you pointed out they were on the old Sony forum it seems.

I also remember something about Sony losing some agreement with the 3rd party that made the Sharpen plugin for V10 and they went to a different company for sharpen in V11 and that was why there was a massive drop in quality...do you remember that? if i could find who that company was that made Sharpen V10 i could possibly buy their plugin separately from them but it escapes me now after 10 years

Cheers,
    Blackout
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    I also remember something about Sony losing some agreement with the 3rd party that made the Sharpen plugin for V10 and they went to a different company for sharpen in V11 and that was why there was a massive drop in quality...do you remember that? if i could find who that company was that made Sharpen V10 i could possibly buy their plugin separately from them but it escapes me now after 10 years.
    You might find this list of release notes useful:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-update-history-so-far--104998/

It shows which fX were supported by the GPU in Vegas 12, and also shows you how to find out the same thing for whatever version of Vegas you're running.

I'm pretty sure that if an fX was re-written to work on the GPU, that work was done by Sony. There definitely were many parts of Vegas that were developed by third-parties, like the various Mainconcept rendering engines. Many of those were not enhanced and as a result, Vegas fell behind in certain areas. As one example, the stabilizing plugin was licensed from Mercalli, but may not have been enhanced after Magix bought it.

So, I don't think Sharpen was a third-party plugin, but I can't say with 100% certainty.

[edit] Here's an extensive list of the old version release notes. You may find something there:

Index of /releasenotes
    Quote Quote