VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have ripped DVDs already on my hard drive. I need to split them into episodes. I want to do to them like DVDDecrypter does to DVDs (in the drive) in IFO mode. Is there a tool that will do this, or do I need to burn the VOBs to a dual layer DVD and do it that way?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I assume this is a single title with the episode as chapters then use MakeMKV to create a MKV file and then use MKVToolnix to split to chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply videoburger, I didn't post my end goal, and that is to encode each episode to HEVC through Staxrip. I ended up using Mpg2Cut2 to do what I needed and then I created a d2v file from there. I got lucky cause there is 1 vob with 18 episodes. Now I am dealing with 8 vobs with 16 episodes. I'm using vobmerge to make 1 big vob file, then I will split them with Mpg2cut2 like I did earlier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As you discovered 'IFO mode' by default will create a rip exactly as it appears on the disk. That is each vob is .99 mb.

However it can create a rip whereby every vob is combined. You just need to read the instructions and the settings that allow for this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DB83 these are files that have already been ripped. This is what is making this whole process a pain in the butt.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I do not understand if your problem is combining the VOB files so that there is not a glitch at the join boundary (which is a common problem). Or, are you simply wanting to further split the VOB files into smaller "episode" chunks without re-encoding? The splitting can be done with a dozen different tools. I use either Womble's MPEG-VCR or VideoRedo. Either of these can handle both of the problems I described above, although they may lose some of the VOB elements, like subtitles or alternate languages.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Create an ISO image of the ripped contents.
    Mount the ISO image.
    Open the ISO in DVDDecrypter.
    Proceed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, hech54's solution works. You can also use PGCDemux to separate out the episodes as VOB files (or even demux them to audio, video, and subs). The mode you want will probably be "by PGC", but there's a chance it might be "by VOB id".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Mount the ISO image.
    Proceed.
    If that actually works, it is a very clever solution. I'll have to remember that one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Mount the ISO image.
    Proceed.
    If that actually works, it is a very clever solution. I'll have to remember that one.
    It only works if you haven't altered the original rip, obviously.
    Quote Quote