VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can someone help me to make my onkyo bd_sp353 Blu-ray player region free. It's set on region 2, but I want to play dvd's from region 1, and it's not possible now. My former DVD player was capable to play any DVD, but this one can't. Please help me! It's not fair, I can't play my favorite DVD's!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you might try some of the hacks/codes listed here - https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=+onkyo+&hits=50&Search=Search
    don't see your exact model.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If one of the few hacks listed at link given by october262 gave doesn't work, your player highly probably isn't hackable. The days of easily hackable players are gone, especially for combo Blu-Ray/DVD players. The reason many DVD players in the past were hackable was because manufacturers wanted cheap players that could be sold in multiple markets. When Blu-Ray players were brought to market, the licensing requirements put an end to that loophole.

The only way to ensure a player is region-free, either DVD or Blu-Ray is to buy one that's either built to be region free or has the hardware modified. Fortunately they're not much more expensive than a locked player. 220-electronics.com and Amazon are two good sources for region-free players.

As for not being fair. It was never supposed to be fair. As stated above, the intention of the movie studios was always to limit playability of DVDs and Blu-Rays to specific regions and they learned their lesson and largely closed the doors with Blu-Ray.

If you don't want buy a new player, the only alternative is to rip your discs, removing the copy protection and region lock, and play them from your hard drive, flash drive or SD card or reburn them to blank discs.
    Quote Quote