VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, recently I have delved into converting MKV to MP4 using the ffmpeg command line using the following line: ffmpeg -i "examplefile.mkv" -c:v copy -c:a copy "examplefile.mp4".

Someone on this forum recommended I use handbrake instead because it is easier to use. I can't imagine it being easier to use than just to use the command line in ffmpeg, but since I am new to editing, I wanted to ask the community if they had any preference between the two and why. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The difference is Handbrake won't streamcopy the video . It will re-encode (lose quality, takes longer time) . Handbrake can copy the audio I think, but not the video

You're using stream copy with -c:v copy -c:a copy; ffmpeg just takes the video and audio in the mkv and places it into a new mp4 container
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would use ffmpeg. It's just a re-muxing so no change in quality. HandBrake on the other hand can't copy the video but does a re-encode and beside being time consuming it gives a drop in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I would use ffmpeg. It's just a re-muxing so no change in quality. HandBrake on the other hand can't copy the video but does a re-encode and beside being time consuming it gives a drop in quality.
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    The difference is Handbrake won't streamcopy the video . It will re-encode (lose quality, takes longer time) . Handbrake can copy the audio I think, but not the video

You're using stream copy with -c:v copy -c:a copy; ffmpeg just takes the video and audio in the mkv and places it into a new mp4 container
    Well see thats what I thought after reading some posts and comments here but, since I am a noob I wanted to make sure I got all my facts straight. Thank you guys for your replies.
    Quote Quote