VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    HI EVERYONE i have got problem if anyone can help me with it right how do you cut out adverts from video files a mate of mine recorded a movie off tv and it is off a true movies channel and that channel is not around anymore the movie my mate has is called There Was a Little Boy 1993 this movie was never brought out on dvd or vhs so it is quiet a rare movie but when checking the video file it has adverts in it i could manual cut out the adverts but that might take a bit of time to do that also i am not sure what softwares to use for that but anyway i thought that is there any softwares like a video converter that scans the video file and then it cuts the adverts out automatically the mate of mine has a few rare movies that he has recorded off tv that channel and some have not been brought out on dvd or vhs but they all have adverts so my question is there any software that will scan a video file for adverts and then cut them out and convert to maybe a avi file or some other format to use on the pc so if anyone can help that would be great
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Asked and answered dozens of times https://www.videohelp.com/search?q=automatically+cut+commercials&siteurl=&Search=Search. Not possible, at least accurately.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few software video editors that convert video for output and have an auto commercial detection and removal feature, though, in my experience, auto commercial detection is never perfect and selections need to be checked manually. If you want to try some of them anyway, as I recall, Smart Cutter for DV and DVB, VideoReDo TVSuite v6, and TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 have a free trial.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There are a few software video editors that convert video for output and have an auto commercial detection and removal feature, though, in my experience, auto commercial detection is never perfect and selections need to be checked manually. If you want to try some of them anyway, as I recall, Smart Cutter for DV and DVB, VideoReDo TVSuite v6, and TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 have a free trial.
    That's the catch with automatic software. You still have to scrub through the video to check and correct the automatic edits anyway. To my way of thinking, I'd rather spend the time manually editing to get exactly what I want.

Also, it's been a cat and mouse game between the content providers and software developers for decades. To my understanding, most automatic editing relies on the short single frame(s) of black between the start and end of the commercials and program. However, sometimes a black frame(s) between commercials is incerted supposedly to fool the software into thinking it's a cut back to the program. Also, I've read reports that sometimes dark scenes in a video will falsely trigger the cut, requiring you to replace the scene(s) that were incorrectly cut.
    Quote Quote