VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

Can I play a PAL minidv tape in an NTSC minidv camcorder to firewire only? I'm am working hard on getting many tapes archived so sorry for my many questions so far but appreciate the helpful info. So that's the question. My PAL minidvs are about to give up the ghost it seems here in the USA. All I want is to transfer them via firewire to my laptop. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try it and let us know.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think this was tried by someone here before and it didn't work right. But it may depend on the particular playback device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It works on some camcorders at least.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    PLAY out to DISPLAYs is different than PLAY out to CAPTURE/RECORD.

The first - especially when playing NTSC material on PAL equipment - can be fudged. The opposite direction is possible, but not nearly as likely.
    The second will almost always NEVER work. This has been discussed before. The whole chain needs to be the same TV system type until it is captured (MEDIA->PLAYER->CAPTURE CARD/DEVICE->CAPTURE TV SYSTEM FORMAT). Afterwards, you can alter as you like (with some degradation expected).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. miniDV is digital, if the tape plays back you can grab it from firewire. You may not be able to get analog output on a NTSC camera with a PAL tape, but that doesn't really matter here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, it DOES matter here. You don't know what you are talking about.
    Firewire (DV) is not a simple asynchronous data transfer - it is synchronous (specifically: isochronous). This allows for better continuous throughput, but requires that sender & receiver work in concert with each other. That means, they need to support (and be properly set to) the same tv system. That is why dual system devices like the adc-100 have a switch.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Try it and let us know.
    Well, I'd have to track one down, buy it and wait until it arrives and if it didn't work I'm stuck with it or have to try to sell it to someone else. Also , I don't have much time to get this done. It looks like, from the other answers not a wise move. Too bad because an NTSC minidv cam is a lot cheaper than a PAL one in the States.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try to do an online search and find a well known NTSC model that can output PAL DV stream via firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Try to do an online search and find a well known NTSC model that can output PAL DV stream via firewire.
    I think this link says somehow they did it with some kind of tricking the system using pause that I haven't fully comprehended. Not sure though if it's a camera dependent solution.
    Quote Quote  
  11. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/280845-PAL-mini-DV-tape-in-NTSC-camera
    One guy says he can.

http://www.bealecorner.com/trv900/dvfaq.html#PAL
    And another

Here are some Sonys that tested positive for PAL transfer:

DCR-TRV900
    DCR-PC100
    DCR-PC110
    DCR-TRV20
    DCR-PC5

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/382217-Which-legacy-mini-DV-camcorders-can-play-bo...-and-PAL-tapes
    And the trick to get some capture programs to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Shame you are suggesting OP invest in unvetted equipment based on the possibility of a 2ndhand "trick".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Shame you are suggesting OP invest in unvetted equipment based on the possibility of a 2ndhand "trick".

Scott
    I have no idea what he'll eventually use to get the project done.
    Just presenting alternatives that might be of use should it come down to a mix of a particular camcorder + software that has a workaround.

Naturally, typically, you'd just buy a compatible camcorder, firewire to the pc, and capture. Super simple and it's been done for decades by many on ancient PCs without much trouble. However, given the age of the tapes and desire to possibly use a ntsc camcorder instead of a PAL, who knows....

When people start to do things not normally done, you might well need the workarounds because the consumer equipment wasn't ever designed with that in mind (pal in ntsc camcorder).
    Quote Quote