VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I go from from Video8/Hi8 S-video into a S-video on a miniDV camcorder and then into my laptop via Firewire? If so could someone tell me what settings I would be dealing with? I have a Sony video8/hi8 and a Canon MVX200 Minidv. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It depends if your miniDV camcorder can pass-through the signal, You seem to have given up on capturing from analog output, It happens all the time, people go buy cheap USB capture stick and when they run into problems they turn into DV capture, You are not alone.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    It depends if your miniDV camcorder can pass-through the signal, You seem to have given up on capturing from analog output, It happens all the time, people go buy cheap USB capture stick and when they run into problems they turn into DV capture, You are not alone.
    I've got a Canon MVX35 and MVX200. I tried connecting s-video from analog to s-video in the 200. I guess it doesn't have that pass through. Couldn't see anything in the menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For the Canon MVX200 refer to pg. 87 of the manual, "Turning On the Analog-Digital Converter".
    Quote Quote  
  5. If pass through doesn't work, then you'll need to go from camcorder into dv camcorder tape.
    After it's recorded, play it so you can capture the converted video through firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's the wackiest workaround I ever heard of.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    For the Canon MVX200 refer to pg. 87 of the manual, "Turning On the Analog-Digital Converter".
    When I go to the VCR setting there's only 1 option AV/Phones where you an choose between eith AV or phones. I think the MVX200i has more options which include that. My bad luck.I'm just trying to get this done as I have a time limit (and limited resources) so checking out if the things I have on hand can be of any use. With that said, both of the used PAL minidv camcorders that I've been using for my minidv tapes are starting to falter. One makes a rattling sound when in fast forward and often stops normal playback saying "eject tape" and the others head seems out of alignment for the tapes I have left. They were made on another camcorder. I've been trying to adjust what I think is called a "flumsy roll " on this one. I got the idea off Youtube from a video entitled "MiniDV artifacts, head alignment". It's painstaking and so far not perfect. But got audio back on one that had no audio before. If both camcorders fail I'll be on the lookout for another used minidv camcorder. I'm going to ask this next question (about pal minidv playback in an ntsc minidv camcorder) in a separate post since it's somewhat off subject. Thanks for advice here.
    Quote Quote