VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My MacBook Pro went kaput after years of faithful service. People who know more about hardware than I do tell me it’s likely the logic board at fault and that it’s time to think about replacing the thing with a new machine altogether. Rather than drop ~$500 on another MBP and get something fairly underpowered, I am looking at “business grade” laptops running Windows 10.

Most of what I will be doing on this machine is fairly processing intensive video related tasks. Particularly a specific process involving multiple chroma key fx keyed to specific hex codes within a frame, then layered on top of one another. While most of the footage will be 720x480 at most, the additional processing seemed to put a strain on my old machine and so I am wondering whether someone who knows more about hardware than I do can tell me if I’m on the right track with these specs.

CPU
    Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5G

Memory
    16 GB DDR3 (UPGRADABLE)

Storage
    256GB SSD

Graphics Card
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

Video Memory
    1 GB

Tech

Hyper-Threading technology

Intel vPro
    Quote Quote  
  2. The i5-2520M is a 9 year old CPU. Are you considering this because you're getting a good deal on used laptop?

Generally I wouldn't recommend a laptop for video editing. A laptop i5 is about the equivalent of a desktop i3. A laptop i7 is like a desktop i5. Their small screens are neary useless. They're not cost effective. And they tend to overheat under heavy load. Avoid a laptop unless you really need one for other reasons (like you need to edit while traveling).

What was in your old Macbook Pro?
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Feb 2020 at 20:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-Modern-14-A10RB-Laptop-Review-Lighter-than-it-Looks.451093.0.html
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S740-15IRH-Laptop-Review-Best-and-Pricies....450378.0.html

For a "business" laptop, something like these two that have a nvidia gpu to help accelerate video sfx/processing and decently nice screens.

If screen color range isn't so important,
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/606363/msi-gf63-thin-9sc-257-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black
    A basic gaming laptop with a more powerful gpu can do the job, too.

8 to 16gb is fine.
    8 for 2k videos, more with 4k/8k videos.

Ssd size should be big enough to hold your current video project.
    256gb is fine for 2k, 4k. 8k will need more.
    Calculate based on the storage size of how much footage you have in a project x 2 = ssd size minimum needed (then add 100gb for win10 + Adobe cc/office/etc).

Try to get a laptop with a nvidia gpu - most modern video editing programs need one to accelerate effects, editing, etc. See specs of the video editing programs you use for minimum specs.

More cores the better.
    Eg a 6-core intel cpu is better/faster than a 4 core.

You can get a rather decent ie.fast laptop starting from about $600, going up to $$$ depending on your budget.
    Quote Quote