VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I go through all the trouble of wiping the hard drive, re-installing windows, re-installing all the drivers, and programs, etc.

What's the easiest and most reliable way to create a snapshot of the c: drive as it exists in that moment after everything is re-installed and set up in the event I have to do it again? Does something like that exist, and how would it work if it exists on the system drive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a good method, or is there another program/method you prefer?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3011736/how-to-create-an-image-backup-in-windows-10-an...f-need-be.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use both Windows backup and clone the drive using Easus ToDo Backup to an identical drive (in my case SSD). Maricum Reflect is also highly recommended. The Windows backup if good for incremental restores and if I need to, I can just swap out the original drive for my backup.
    Quote Quote  
  4. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/how-to-create-a-system-im...9-368af9267869

Easiest if you use the same size replacement drive for restoring.

If drive sizes differ, you'll want to use different software that can handle restoring to different sized drives, especially smaller.

These other backup programs have other features, especially if you pay. (E.g. Acronis paid can make a full backup + incremental updates daily to the backup so you don't need to make a full backup each day you add new files.)

Using only win10 tools, make a full system backup.
    Then, do file history backups to a small usb drive until you make another full system backup.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027408/windows-10-backup-and-restore

3rd party software that may give you other features free.

If you have a wd or Seagate drive, both give you free Acronis backup with limited features (usually called their disk manager software).

(A slew of free software from easeus, macrum, etc exist as well, but naturally free means no support until you pay.)

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did the system image backup, along with the recovery disc. Might test it to see if it restores properly
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The recommended method by Tenforums and one which I've used without a problem,is Macrium Reflect,The free version is very good,the paid version is naturally better.I used the free version for over a year before buying the paid one,because every one needs to live and my conscience nagged me.Probably labels me a dinosaur.
    Try it and see and visit Tenforums for opinions.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Drive Snapshot.
    Small, portable, simple, cheap.
    Quote Quote