VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    you cannot tag a file "full range" for "legal" submissions
    Substantiation, please? Please cite any authoritative documentation that mandates limited-range flagging for submission.

Here is the spec. Please cite any reference to file flagging.

https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r103.pdf

r103 only covers the topic of video signal tolerance. (Metadata flags are not part of the actual decoded bitstream data)

r103 does not cover other important aspects about video streams, eg. things like codec specific details, GOP makeup, reference frames, b-frames , containers, metadata, or dozens of other aspects that are important for submission

Go visit your workplace and see if any full range files exist, either correct flagged, or falsely flagged at any stage of the pipeline. Full range simply does not exist in end delivery formats (except in HDR scenarios). Full range acquisition formats get converted to standard range, they are never submitted as full range

Even if it was a correct file in terms of signal, why would someone purposely use an INCORRECT flag ? Why would you even risk it ? And if it was a correct flag, then your levels are wrong. There is no upside, it's all negatives.

And you can change flag metatdata. They are just VUI options. You can do it with codec specific options during encoding, or as a -bsf afterwards with -codec copy. ie. you can "fix" a wrongly flagged file

Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    I modified my script to have ffmpeg output limited-range files and got color shifts, much the same as when using "brightness" and "contrast".

Specifying a full-range file eliminates the color shifts.

It was covered earlier. Full range equations in , RGB clipping, Full range equations out (that's your "unity" Y 0-255 <=> RGB 0-255) - does that ring any bells? Go back a few pages. You had it correct earlier. Right now you've gone back to limited range equations, so Y16-235 <=> RGB 0-255 .

As described earlier, converting to RGB works because YCbCr values that correspond to negative RGB values, and values >255 in 8bit are culled out by the conversion (but you can still generate new illegal value when converting back to YUV and subsampling)

Limited range equations for RGB conversion is a "more crude" of doing it because you cut off Y<16, Y>235 . If you've corrected it before ffmpeg, then it might be ok, otherwise you usually risk losing highlight and possibly shadow detail. Most cameras , even consumer cameras ,have usable detail in the Y235-255 range
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
    How would vapoursynth deal with this issue?

Same way - start with other programs to grade, then final step can use ffmpeg or vapoursynth . The benefit of vapuorsynth is you can display planestats and it's interactive (eg. clip min 6, max 247 results in "x" % illegal), and you an visualize where the illegal pixels are, and then do something about it. _Al_ posted some scripts earlier in the thread. But it cannot be done 100% in vapoursynth either. Ideally you need that 1st step, some rough grade, otherwise you risk clipping too much "good" data
    vapoursynth is not interactive. You keep spreading misinformation. vapoursynth as such does not provide any gui tools, same as ffmpeg. There are gui tools for libavfilter and reporting pixel values are trivial.

Also ffmpeg have video filters datascope, pixscope, pseudocolor, all this can visualize illegal values in certain ways.

Sure, I'll clarify - Vapoursynth editor (vsedit) is partially interactive GUI and you can visualize the results, hot pixel scans , display values, min/max, YCbCr, RGB pixel pickers, etc.. VSEdit2 has tabs to compare different versions of scripts (e.g. corrected , uncorrected)

These sorts of things should be possible in some GUI tools for libavfilter , but I did not see clearly working examples and code posted like the ones posted for vapoursynth earlier. Maybe when you have time to share the code you can post them

Is it more clear ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by richardpl View Post
    vapoursynth is not interactive. You keep spreading misinformation. vapoursynth as such does not provide any gui tools, same as ffmpeg. There are gui tools for libavfilter and reporting pixel values are trivial.

Also ffmpeg have video filters datascope, pixscope, pseudocolor, all this can visualize illegal values in certain ways.
    Vapoursynth is being loaded into a python script and is used as such. And python script can load other python module/script. Say a module that visualize a vapoursynth clip or whatever else, illegal values etc. You run a vapoursynth script and can get GUI or a visual feedback. Possibilities are endless. Mostly tapping into C language modules so it is very fast (like opencv to get a preview). So vapoursynth alone is not interactive but running it together with other modules it starts to be interesting. Vapoursynth is a part of python family and it gives you endless possibilities to load existing modules and have a fun with it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. And you can change flag metatdata. They are just VUI options. You can do it with codec specific options during encoding, or as a -bsf afterwards with -codec copy. ie. you can "fix" a wrongly flagged file
    Could you explain more clearly how to change the metadata flag from "full" to "limited", either in the first pass using ffmpeg or in another pass with ffmpeg or a different program, if changing a flag is all we need to do?
    Last edited by chris319; 26th Jul 2021 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    And you can change flag metatdata. They are just VUI options. You can do it with codec specific options during encoding, or as a -bsf afterwards with -codec copy. ie. you can "fix" a wrongly flagged file
    Could you explain more clearly how to change the metadata flag from "full" to "limited", either in the first pass using ffmpeg or in another pass with ffmpeg or a different program, if changing a flag is all we need to do?

For ffmpeg libx264 during encoding
    -x264opts fullrange=off

For ffmpeg libx265 during encoding
    -x265-params range=limited

For an incorrectly full range flagged file, that you want to flag as "limited", use -codec copy with video_full_range_flag=0

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html#h264_005fmetadata
    eg.
    ffmpeg -i avcinput.mp4 -codec copy -bsf:v h264_metadata=video_full_range_flag=0 avcoutput.mp4

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html#hevc_005fmetadata
    eg.
    ffmpeg -i hevcinput.mp4 -codec copy -bsf:v hevc_metadata=video_full_range_flag=0 hevcoutput.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  6. Code:
    ffmpeg -i avcinput.mp4 -codec copy -bsf:v h264_metadata=video_full_range_flag=0 avcoutput.mp4
    No joy. It's still flagged as "full" per MediaInfo.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    Code:
    No joy. It's still flagged as "full" per MediaInfo.
    Was your input file AVC/h.264 ?

Any error messages or clues in the console log ?

Works ok for me

before
    Code:
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Color range                              : Full
    Color primaries                          : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
    after
    Code:
    Color range                              : Limited
    Quote Quote  
  8. Before:

Code:
    Duration                                 : 9 s 994 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 26.9 kb/s
    Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
    Height                                   : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 59.940 (59940/1000) FPS
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.000
    Stream size                              : 32.9 KiB (81%)
    Writing library                          : x264 core 164 r3065 ae03d92
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    After:

Code:
    Duration                                 : 9 s 994 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 26.9 kb/s
    Frame rate                               : 59.940 (59940/1000) FPS
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.000
    Stream size                              : 32.9 KiB (81%)
    Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    colour_range_Original                    : Limited
    I don't understand why "Colour range" is Full and "colour range Original" is Limited.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    I don't understand why "Colour range" is Full and "colour range Original" is Limited.

Apparently it's the mediainfo version. I was using 19.09. I updated to 21.03 and it also says
    Color range : Full
    colour_range_Original : Limited

There are other ways to do this, I'll report back later if they make a difference
    Quote Quote  
  10. There are other ways to do this, I'll report back later if they make a difference
    Thank you.

I updated MediaInfo over the weekend.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ffmpeg method works if you demux to elementary avc stream first, then apply the bsf. This implies there is other info in the mp4 container, some atoms (maybe colr atom) for the original that the newest mediainfo reads . But then you have to remux video and audio

ffmpeg has experimental colr atom support, but there is no documentation . I'll try to experiment with it later

Code:
    mp4 muxer AVOptions:
      -movflags          <flags>   
    write_colr                   E.......... Write colr atom even if the color info is unspecified (Experimental, may be renamed or changed, do not use from scripts)
    mp4box by itself can write colr atoms, but by itself is not enough, because the elementary video bitstream still has the info

mp4box -add input.mp4#video:colr=nclx,1,1,1,0 -new output.mp4
    Color range : Limited
    colour_range_Original : Full

But if you combine ffmpeg bitstream filter for the ES AVC stream, and then afterwards MP4box for the MP4 colr atoms , it also works, because those are the 2 locations where range information is kept
    Color range : Limited

So those are your 2 options so far
    1) demux to ES (this discards the colr atoms because no longer MP4 or MOV container), apply ffmpeg bitstream filter, remux

or

2) ffmpeg bitstream filter to "fix" video stream, then mp4box to "fix" mp4 colr atom

It would be nice if ffmpeg mp4/mov muxer option for -colr was documented or worked, that way ffmpeg could do it all in 1 step instead of 2
    Quote Quote  
  12. A lot of this fancy stuff is way over my head.

The consumer camcorders I use output 1080p natively. That's not an official broadcast format and is why I resize it to 720p. Next I will need to add interlace to the 1080 version. I've done that before.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    A lot of this fancy stuff is way over my head.

The last few posts is nothing "fancy" ; it's just changing the metadata or "labels" ( or what you see in mediainfo) in terms of full vs. limited range "flagging". Other programs look for this information too, including NLE's , QC software, software players, hardware decoder chips - It's important to get the correct "label". Although the underlying actual video data is not directly affected, the "flags" can govern the behaviour of some software and hardware - so effectively you can get different video appearance and levels

I guess it's nice that newer mediainfo could detect and alert you to both, because some programs look in one place, some in the other. If you take care of both, you cover all your bases
    Quote Quote  
  14. This seems to work so far.

I need to test it a bit more thoroughly.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=152419
    Last edited by chris319; 27th Jul 2021 at 12:51.
    Quote Quote  
  15. This seems to work for "legalizing" levels from 0 - 255 to 16 - 235.

Setting out_range to limited introduces color shifts, so out_range is kept at full at this stage.

Code:
    ffmpeg  -y  -i  "Bars.mp4"  -c:v libx264  -vf format=rgb24,"lutrgb=r='clip(val,14,234)':g='clip(val,14,234)':b='clip(val,14,234)'",scale=w=1280:h=720:flags=spline:out_color_matrix=bt709:out_range=full,format=yuv420p  -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709  -c:a pcm_s16be  clipped.mov
    This will reflag the out_range from full to limited using this program:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/direct264/

Code:
    ffmpeg -y  -i clipped.mov -vcodec copy -acodec copy -vbsf h264_changesps=limitedrange output.mov
    The result is video levels are R 103 compliant (5 - 246) and audio is preserved or converted to pcm_s16be.

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : D:\Programs\ffmpeg\Batch_files\Retag as limited\output.mov
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : QuickTime
    Codec ID                                 : qt   0000.02 (qt  )
    File size                                : 12.1 MiB
    Duration                                 : 33 s 530 ms
    Overall bit rate                         : 3 026 kb/s
    Encoded date                             : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
    Tagged date                              : UTC 1970-01-01 00:00:00
    Writing application                      : Lavf59.4.101

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L3.2
    Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
    Duration                                 : 33 s 517 ms
    Bit rate                                 : 1 480 kb/s
    Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.027
    Stream size                              : 5.92 MiB (49%)
    Language                                 : English
    Color range                              : Limited
    Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : PCM
    Format settings                          : Big / Signed
    Codec ID                                 : twos
    Duration                                 : 33 s 530 ms
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel layout                           : L R
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Stream size                              : 6.14 MiB (51%)
    Language                                 : English
    Last edited by chris319; 27th Jul 2021 at 15:11.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The following works, too. Less conversion between pixel formats.

Code:
    ffmpeg  -y  -i  "C0015.mp4"  -c:v libx264  -vf format=yuv420p,"lutyuv=y='clip(val,34,215)'",scale=w=1280:h=720:flags=spline:out_color_matrix=bt709:out_range=full  -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709  -c:a pcm_s16be  clipped.mov
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    This seems to work for "legalizing" levels from 0 - 255 to 16 - 235.

Setting out_range to limited introduces color shifts, so out_range is kept at full at this stage.

Code:
    ffmpeg  -y  -i  "Bars.mp4"  -c:v libx264  -vf format=rgb24,"lutrgb=r='clip(val,14,234)':g='clip(val,14,234)':b='clip(val,14,234)'",scale=w=1280:h=720:flags=spline:out_color_matrix=bt709:out_range=full,format=yuv420p  -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709  -c:a pcm_s16be  clipped.mov
    This will reflag the out_range from full to limited using this program:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/direct264/

Code:
    ffmpeg -y  -i clipped.mov -vcodec copy -acodec copy -vbsf h264_changesps=limitedrange output.mov
    The result is video levels are R 103 compliant (5 - 246) and audio is preserved or converted to pcm_s16be.

It still visibly changes the contrast, and shifts some channels +/- 10, resulting in incorrect colors and bars . Reference black is no longer Y=16, but Y=14 now on bars or a legal video

Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    The following works, too. Less conversion between pixel formats.

Code:
    ffmpeg  -y  -i  "C0015.mp4"  -c:v libx264  -vf format=yuv420p,"lutyuv=y='clip(val,34,215)'",scale=w=1280:h=720:flags=spline:out_color_matrix=bt709:out_range=full  -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709  -c:a pcm_s16be  clipped.mov

Too much contrast and color accuracy changes in channels . +/- 11 . Reference black is is now Y=21 instead of Y=16 on bars or a legal video
    Quote Quote  
  18. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. It is fully expected that the user will need to adjust the values in the script to suit, depending on the characteristics of the input video. This is nothing new. In the days of analog we used hardware proc (processing) amps to adjust levels depending on the characteristics of the incoming video. This was done by adjusting knobs on the front panel.

These were revolutionary when they came out in the '70s. Only $20,000!

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Site-Technical/Engineering-Broadcast/Archive-Bro...-Page-0013.pdf

The design goal is to bring consumer camcorder luminance levels into R 103 spec without introducing significant color shifts. It is not intended to adjust the luminance levels of color bars, although color bars can be used to check for color shifts.

My scope program can apply low-pass filtering per R 103. This filtering can also be bypassed.

Code:
    pipeIn$ = "-y  -i " + filename$ + " -f image2pipe  -s 1280x720  -vf unsharp=luma_msize_x=3:luma_msize_y=3:luma_amount=-0.25,scale=out_range=limited  -color_primaries bt709  -color_trc bt709  -colorspace bt709  -pix_fmt yuv420p  -vcodec rawvideo -"
    R 103:

For progressive signals

A quarter band filter applied horizontally and a half band filter applied vertically is recommended.

Horizontal Filter Coefficients: 1/16, 2/16, 3/16, 4/16, 3/16, 2/16, 1/16

Vertical Filter Coefficients: 1/4, 1/2, 1/4
    If no low-pass filtering is applied in the scope, the following brings it into spec:

Code:
    ffmpeg  -y  -i  "Bars.mp4"  -c:v libx264  -vf format=yuv420p,"lutyuv=y='clip(val,37,208)'",scale=w=1280:h=720:flags=spline:out_color_matrix=bt709:out_range=full  -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709  -c:a pcm_s16be  clipped.mov
    Without low-pass filtering in the scope, after applying the script output is Y = 10 - 245 which is R 103 compliant.

I tested it on color bars and all of the color values are within tolerance, e.g.:

Bars before script is applied (input file):
    Cyan:
    R = 19
    G = 179
    B = 179

Bars after correction with the script (output file):
    Cyan:
    R = 20
    G = 180
    B = 180

As you can see, my script introduces one point of error between input and output on the cyan bar.

I don't know what you're doing to get such drastic color shifts, but I'm not seeing them. I'm satisfied that the script fulfills the design goal, provided the filters are properly adjusted.
    Last edited by chris319; 29th Jul 2021 at 14:27.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post

Code:
    ffmpeg  -y  -i  "Bars.mp4"  -c:v libx264  -vf format=yuv420p,"lutyuv=y='clip(val,37,208)'",scale=w=1280:h=720:flags=spline:out_color_matrix=bt709:out_range=full  -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709  -c:a pcm_s16be  clipped.mov
    Without low-pass filtering in the scope, after applying the script output is Y = 10 - 245 which is R 103 compliant.

I tested it on color bars and all of the color values are within tolerance, e.g.:

Bars before script is applied (input file):
    Cyan:
    R = 19
    G = 179
    B = 179

Bars after correction with the script (output file):
    Cyan:
    R = 20
    G = 180
    B = 180

As you can see, my script introduces one point of error between input and output on the cyan bar.

I don't know what you're doing to get such drastic color shifts, but I'm not seeing them. I'm satisfied that the script fulfills the design goal, provided the filters are properly adjusted.

Maybe something wrong with your scope again ?

Yes, technically within limits and "compliant" , but the problem is color accuracy, white and black reference accuracy, contrast change and range compression. Y=16 => Y=24 . Y=235 => Y=224

Something like +/- 3 might be passable on colors, but some channels have a delta of 12. eg. CY is -12 in Cr.

And greyscale values should not change at all between the range Y16-235 . Should be +/- 0 . e.g 75% white is +11 in Y.

"Within spec" does not mean you should alter colors significantly and black and white reference levels

Reference colorbars are appended to submissions and are used for a reason.

Input YCbCr
    75W 180,128,128
    YL 168,44,136
    CY 145,147,44
    G 133,63,52
    MG 63,193,204
    R 51,109,212
    B 28,212,120
    40GY 104,128,128

Output YCbCr
    75W 191,128,128
    YL 177,32,137
    CY 150,150,32
    G 137,54,31
    MG 55,202,215
    R 41,106,224
    B 24,224,119
    40GY 102,128,128
    Quote Quote  
  20. Maybe something wrong with your scope again ?
    We're way past that. It's been calibrated and tested to a fare-thee-well for going on 2 - 3 years now. It 100% matches the ffmpeg scope. I've told you that before. The scope program directly reads the Y values from the file; there is no conversion to RGB and the Y values are not synthesized from RGB. In addition to the scope I use an RGB eyedropper program to double check my measurements.

To reiterate:

The design goal is to bring consumer camcorder luminance levels into R 103 spec
    In practice you don't use this script on a test signal. The test signal is already standard-compliant, so why would you alter it? The script is supposed to alter levels of out-of-spec camcorder video, not an in-spec test signal.

I'm not seeing the drastic color errors you complain of when YUV is converted to RGB using VLC player, just a point or two here and there.

Take a look at both scripts. What would you do to improve color fidelity?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by chris319 View Post
    Maybe something wrong with your scope again ?
    We're way past that. It's been calibrated and tested to a fare-thee-well for going on 2 - 3 years now. It 100% matches the ffmpeg scope. I've told you that before. The scope program directly reads the Y values from the file; there is no conversion to RGB and the Y values are not synthesized from RGB. In addition to the scope I use an RGB eyedropper program to double check my measurements.
    So you should get the same Y,Cb,Cr values as the previous post. The differences are too large

To reiterate:

The design goal is to bring consumer camcorder luminance levels into R 103 spec
    In practice you don't use this script on a test signal. The test signal is already standard-compliant, so why would you alter it? The script is supposed to alter levels of out-of-spec camcorder video, not an in-spec test signal.

I'm not seeing the drastic color errors you complain of when YUV is converted to RGB using VLC player, just a point or two here and there.

Take a look at both scripts. What would you do to improve color fidelity?

Normally people edit/grade their footage, then use some legalization method at the end .

Ideally , only illegal values should be adjusted. You usually don't want to adjust good values that don't need to be adjusted - you're just ruining the grade that was done

And if you're using this directly on video out of the camera to make it "legal" - it messes up properly exposed video, and alters the original color.

The "brighest" white is now Y=224, not Y=235. The "darkest" black is now Y=24, not Y=16 - so the dynamic range is compressed, image looks washed out, dull.

So it might be ok for some specific video, in some specific limited case scenario, but not for general use.

One of the earlier script versions was ok with the train, go back a few pages .
    Quote Quote  
  22. One of the earlier script versions was ok with the train, go back a few pages .
    I've looked at all 11 pages of this thread and couldn't find the one you're referring to. I need your help in identifying which script you mean.

Either that or propose modifications to the latest script version.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Ideally , only illegal values should be adjusted.
    Isn't that what lutyuv clip does?

I've asked you many times how you propose to do this. We've been through brightness and contrast and they introduced color shifts so no good. We've tried lutrgb and lutyuv and you weren't happy with those. What else is there? geq?

Once we've found a pixel that's outside the 235 limit, what do we do with it? We can hard clip it to 235. We can multiply it by 0.92 which puts 255 around 235.
    Last edited by chris319; 29th Jul 2021 at 23:49.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Here is what I am using for poor-man's legalization.

Code:
    ffmpeg  -y  -i  "bars.mp4"  -c:v rawvideo  -vf  scale=w=1280:h=720,"lutrgb=r='clip(val,16,235)':g='clip(val,16,235)':b='clip(val,16,235)'"  -pix_fmt rgb24  -c:a pcm_s16be  RGB.mov

ffmpeg -y  -i RGB.mov  -vf "select=eq(n\,60)" -vframes 1 out.bmp
    It is easy to scan the resulting bmp for out-of-gamut pixels. All RGB values are within the range 16 - 235. There is no alteration to colors as checked with color bars.

Note that the pixel format is rgb24. When subsampling is introduced, there are a few pixels which are 255 and 0. These values are reserved for sync data and should be avoided. If a distributor must have a 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 pixel, another solution will be neded.
    Quote Quote