VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi i have some movies etc put on a usd stick for me as per panasonic instructions using mkv and srt subtitles text files...the models of blu ray recorders i have are dmr bwt450 and bwt 720. The pictures play perfectly but the subtitles dont come up on both machines.I have tried everything to make them work on both machines but they just dont... how can this problem be fixed thanks?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you try having 2 separate files, one with video/audio and the other as srt. as in movie.mp4 and movie.srt more devices can use mp4 than mkv.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No it says to use mkv .. so you think seperate files are the go?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by John007 View Post
    No it says to use mkv .. so you think seperate files are the go?
    Both Panasonic recorders require separate subtitle files in the same folder as the MKV file.

From the operating instruction for the Panasonic DMR-BWT450:

Subtitle file types compatible with an MKV video file: ".SRT” “.srt” “.SUB” “.sub” “.TXT” “.txt”

• The video file and subtitle text files are inside the same folder, and the file names are the same except for the file extensions.
    • Some files may not be played back even if they have these extensions.

From the operating instruction for the the Panasonic DMR-BWT720:

Subtitle file types compatible with an MKV video file: “.SRT” “.srt” “.SSA” “.ssa” “.ASS” “.ass”

• The video file and subtitles text file are inside the same folder, and the file names are the same
    except for the file extensions.
    • Some files may not be played back even if they have these extensions.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah we did that but it doesnt work on both machines...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do yiu set yours up exactly so its works? Everything we have done has been correct so far so cant understand why it doesnt work...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody in the USA has either of your Blu-ray recorders. Machines like yours that function as PVRs for HDTV broadcasts as well as Blu-ray players have never been available here.

However, some US-model TVs and Blu-ray players have built-in media players capable of playing MKV files and subtitles with similar requirements for subtitle playback. The subtitle and mkv must be in the same folder and use the same name, for example, mymovie.mkv and mymovie.srt. I have only used srt with mkv but I have not had a problem with the LG Blu-ray player I use.

Perhaps the format for your subtitle is slightly non-standard or the character set used is wrong.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 9th Feb 2020 at 00:43. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a subtitle setting in the menu or on the remote control?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No its nothing to do with the subtitle button.. if anybody has made subtitles work on panasonic recorders on a usb stick please tell me exactly how you did it please.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that you are waiting for someone in Australia with one of your recorders to help you but it may be a long wait. In the mean time, if you uploaded a subtitle file that won't play to VideoHelp it might allow someone with experience in diagnosing problems with subtitles figure out what is preventing that file from playing.

Often the problem lies with the character set. Some examples: The srt file might be in Unicode UTF-8, but the player only understands ANSI. Another common problem is the srt file uses ANSI encoding but the player can't use the ANSI character set for that language.
    Quote Quote  
  11. might be obvious and already mentioned, but subs must have identical filenames as the video they belong to
    Quote Quote