VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm having trouble capturing a image from my VHS/DVD combo player: Philips DVP3055V.
    Capture Card: PEXHDCAP60L
    When I plug it directly into a TV it works fine in both modes but when I connect it into my capture card problems start.
    The screen is tinted green and when I put it into VHS mode it is still showing the DVD screen but the resolution becomes super wide and it keeps loosing sync.

When on DVD:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200206154607.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	51904

When on VHS:

Name:	20200206154702.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	51903

Anyone have this problem before? And knows of a possible solution?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Is this what it shows while actually playing a tape?

I don't know about your combo, but VCR menus typically output non-standard signals that many capture devices can't decode (progressive 15kHz aka "288p" for PAL regions).

EDIT: Somehow I skipped over the whole "tinted green DVD output" thing. SCART can output RGB, S-Video, or composite, so we need to know what mode you have the machine in and how it's hooked up, as aedipuss asks below.
    Last edited by Brad; 8th Feb 2020 at 11:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what output from the combo are you using and which cable into the card?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the capture device ?. Those letters/numbers mean nothing.

But, generally, vcrs will output, irrelevant of the scart, over composite so you set your device to receive that. Even if this is a vhs/dvd-combi it will still be composite since s-video is typically only for dvd output.

And has been said it has zilch to do with any menu. Only the live vhs feed matters.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How are you connecting it up? It looks like you are capturing part of the RGB signal or something, component/RGB outputs on combo units are only for DVDs (other than certain models with DVD-recording capability.) You will need to hook the capture card up to a composite output, either with a scart adapter or from the yellow RCA/Phono connector on the VCR (in addition to the red/white audio cables)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Additional Information:

I use the Startech PEXHDCAP60L HDMI®/DVI/VGA/Component PCIe Capture Card.
    I hook up Scart with a Sync Strike. That goes to my capture card with a VGA to DVI cable.
    It works great for my Game consoles but those all output RGB so maybe that's the problem.

In the Startech capture software "Steam Cather" I need to select VGA for me to see anything. Again I've had no problem recording scart game footage using this method.
    The Philips DVP3055V only has Scart output for VHS footage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not 'maybe'. It is the issue.

VHS is not transmitted over VGA. It is over compostite (or s-video for a S-VHS player).

You require a basic capture device. Not a game capture device if that does not allow for composite.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The Sync strike won't work on composite video. You need to hook the composite out on the VCR to the capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That capture device has an adapter for standard composite and s-video input. You should use that. Get a SCART to s-video/composite adapter.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Feb 2020 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    But why would that screw up the DVD playback as well?
    Also when I set the Sync Strike to use the scart power instead of the PSU power the VHS mode is just like the first picture. the DVD screen in green.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SJ-M- View Post
    But why would that screw up the DVD playback as well?
    Also when I set the Sync Strike to use the scart power instead of the PSU power the VHS mode is just like the first picture. the DVD screen in green.
    which connector are you using to connect to the capture card - https://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp3055v_05/dvp3055v_05_dfu_eng.pdf
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    The EURO AV1 AUDIO/VIDEO (VCR IN+OUT/DVD OUT).
    Again this works just fine directly into TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are capturing VHS?
    Where is the tape from?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    This is all PAL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tv's do not generally have receive VGA (unless it has a PC display mode). A EURO/Scart cable sends either composite or s-video for VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  16. You can't use the sync strike, it's only for RGB signals, not composite video. The VCR does not output RGB signals for VHS tapes. A TV will auto-switch between RGB and composite when connected via scart, so it will look fine there.

You want to connect the yellow phono output and red and white audio outputs on the VCR to the same inputs on the dongle that comes with the capture card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And if your vcr only has a scart output just get something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-RCA-Phono-Cable-metre/dp/B00ULGUNAA
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    My vcr+dvd combi only has scart output for the vcr portion at least. It does have component out but it clearly states that is for DVD only.
    I do have a cheap scart to composite converter. (https://tinyurl.com/to5fbl5) And that does work directly into my TV still.

Here's the thing though. I don't have the AV breakout cable that came with the capture card.
    Are there any cheap alternatives to this cable that go into the port next to the DVI port?

Also can the reason be everything is green tinted on the DVD screen is because it's expecting a component color space? Is there a way you can change that in a video capture software?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look on Ebay and check if you can get another breakout cable.

It has already been explained to you why you are not getting a picture. Nothing to do with component. Everything to do the RGB and Sync Strike (whatever that is)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Well I looked everywhere for those cables but I can't find them without buying the expensive capture card with it. However I am able to plug in s-video directly into that port. Is it possible to get composite through a S-video cable?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by SJ-M- View Post
    Is it possible to get composite through a S-video cable?
    Maybe. I don't know about that device in particular but it's very common for devices to share a pin for composite and s-video luma. That's definitely the case at the SCART connector. Use a SCART to s-video adapter and s-video cable. If necessary, set the VCR to output composite (it may only output composite, in which there's nothing to configure). Then configure the capture device/software to capture composite. See what happens.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Might I also suggest to go to the official Startech.com site. I looked for a spare breakout cable - the card apparently comes with more than one - but could not find it (not to say that there is not one there)

But you could always contact them and see what they have to say about a replacement cable (just tell 'em the dog chewed the original )

I own a Funai combo and that has a separate s-video output connector. And that is for the dvd side only. But as jagabo states it is still worth trying with a simple adapter and cable.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Startech did still have cables and I'm waiting for them to be delivered. In the mean time I bought a S-video cable. I Plugged the S-video cable directly into the capture card and I am getting a signal.

Name:	20200214130022.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	52001
    The only problem is this weird pixel noise that goes across the entire screen.

Name:	20200214130121.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	52000
    This screen is entirely blue when connected straight into a TV via the s-video cable.

It also does not appear when connecting a dreamcast via S-video.

Name:	20200214131141.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	52002

Any idea on why I'm getting this noise only on the capture card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know.

Could be the adapter at the combo end, a bad pin on the cable. Maybe a bad connection on the capture device. Or the combo is not really sending s_video hence the blue screen.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Make sure the VCR is set to output s-video, not composite.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think you're the 4th user over the past month who has posted about this exact error. It's what happens when you capture composite as S-Video.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/395488-Help-with-my-capture-setup#post2570879
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Okay what I'm getting from looking at your posts that the problem is that my capture card doesn't really get what to do when he gets a composite signal from S-video. And my TV does know that to do. So I guess I'm waiting for the Startech cables. Or get a VHS player that can output S-video.

Also I'm still getting that DVD splash screen scrolling diagonally across the screen in VHS mode on the capture card display when I haven't press play yet. Expect now when I press play It shows the VHS playing instead of the DVD. I'm guessing this also has something to do with the capture card incorrectly processing composite over S-video?

Name:	20200214151331.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	52003

Whatever the case, capturing VHS has turned to be much more of a hassle than I thought It would be. Video game consoles are a lot easier.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, the cable's arrived and using a composite cable solved the weird pixel pattern.
    I was originally going to use the default program that came with my capture card but than I saw a video that recommended virtualdub for capuring vhs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_TDa9zY1c

This video focuses on NTSC video and says you should capture at 29.97 fps instead of 30 frames. and than de-interlace to 60.

Is this also necessary for PAL video? Should I record at 24.97 instead of 25 frames for instance?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by SJ-M- View Post
    Okay what I'm getting from looking at your posts that the problem is that my capture card doesn't really get what to do when he gets a composite signal from S-video.
    Once again, s-video luma and composite on SCART (and many devices' s-video connection) share the same pin. So the both the sender and receiver need to agree on which is being used. It could be that the VCR is set to put out composite but your capture device is set to capture s-video. Go through the VCR's setup menus and make sure it's set it to output s-video. Or just set the capture software to capture composite.

Also I'm still getting that DVD splash screen scrolling diagonally across the screen in VHS mode on the capture card display when I haven't press play yet. Expect now when I press play It shows the VHS playing instead of the DVD. I'm guessing this also has something to do with the capture card incorrectly processing composite over S-video?
    No. It's because the video generator in the VHS deck is not putting out a standard video signal when displaying the splash screen. TVs are able to adapt to this but most capture devices can't. Once you start playing a tape the signal becomes normal interlaced NTSC video -- what's on the tape, not from the VCR's video generator.

This video focuses on NTSC video and says you should capture at 29.97 fps instead of 30 frames. and than de-interlace to 60.

Is this also necessary for PAL video? Should I record at 24.97 instead of 25 frames for instance?
    No. The NTSC standard is 59.94 fields per second (60000/1001), capture as frames it's 29.97 frames per second (30000/1001). The PAL standard is exactly 50 fields per second, (50000/1000), 25 frames per second.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Feb 2020 at 08:50.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Go through the VCR's setup menus and make sure it's set it to output s-video. Or just set the capture software to capture composite.
    Don't bother, you need to use composite. This VCR does not support S-Video out, whether it's scart or an S-Video port. It's pretty much only SVHS VCRs that have S-Video output for VHS. A handful of VHS/DVD combo decks do as well but those are ones that can record also record to DVD and have an internal digitizer (though even most of those don't support it). The S-Video/RGB/component output normal VHS/DVD combo decks is only for the DVD part, the manufacturers were to cheap to add S-Video output for the VHS part.
    Quote Quote