VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a huge library of DVDs in storage. I have been watching Netflix for a while and did not use them. Well, I have decided to cut the cord to Neflix and create my own little watch on-demand system by ripping all of my DVDs to a hardrive that I can watch on my TV through a media player. I pretty much have every good movie ever made, and the rest I can watch for free on other sources.

So I have been ripping my DVDs for several days with handbrake. I have not had much problems, but there a few DVDs that will not fully rip. I only get apart of the movie. Out the first 100 DVDs I ripped only three did this to me. Everything looks the same as far as I can tell. I just can't figure out why Hb is doing this.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use an up to date ripping program such as dvdfab that handles newer dvd copy protections.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I had similar problems, in my case it was related with dual layer DVDs and was impossible to make it work.

There is a way to make it work but it requires a manual conversion like people did back in the day but the hard part is to sync the audio and subtitles extracted from the second layer.

The DVD in question was Green Mile and Titanic.
    Last edited by amaipaipai; 6th Feb 2020 at 13:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my case, the three DVDs that did this was, "The Iron Giant", "The Wild", and "Victory at Sea" (WW2 documentary). I have several hundred more DVDs to copy, so I will see how many more this happens with. I am assuming that it is the encoding of the DVD that is causing it, since it is only about 1 in every 20 DVDs that does this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try makemkv
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. 1. Could be the dvd drive. Use another. I've noticed that some older discs simply don't rip on my laptop internal drive, but will if I use an external plextor or pioneer dvd drive.

2. Clean lens and disc.
    If needed, wash the disc with soap and dry.
    Scratches may need buffing out.

3. Another decrypter.
    Anydvd, dvdfab, makemkv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    try makemkv
    I tried out makemkv. It could not do it. I tested it on "The Iron Giant". It completed the task and said that 14 of 15 chapters were successful, but when I went to the save folder nothing was there. I ran it again, saving to a new folder and got the same result.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I was having trouble with the Heat DVD (dual-layer) and makemkv totally saved my day, so big kudos to aedipuss@ for the tip (I've also noticed makemkv had a "retry count" settings which could help if DVDs have issues, I suppose).

Note that makemkv ended up ripping a 6GB file which was way bigger than what Handbrake generates - I had to use some ffmpeg magic to compress. Example command:

ffmpeg -nostdin -y -ss 1400 -t 30 -i title_t00.mkv -c: s copy -c:a copy -map 0 -crf 18 output.mkv
    (I had to tell it to copy the audio streams because otherwise audio would stutter in VLC)
    -c: s should have no space but the editor turns it into an emoji
    Quote Quote