VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was searching google and forum and I can't find a response in my case.
    I have some MKV files, and the 32 track don't have a CODEC ID value in none of these files, the file plays fine in HC-mpc and Potplayer, but I can't open this file in Multiplixer of mkvtoolnix, it says error code 2 and don't load the file.
    Looking into the mkv info I notice that codec id is missing, but editing manually this value to S_TEXT/ASS in Header Editor it allows mkvtoolnix load the files in Multiplixer.
    My question is, there is a way to use mkvmerge.exe from command line to make a batch file and set this value in all mkv files?
    Or maybe delete/exclude this track?
    I try these commands without success:

(1) mkvmerge.exe -o "test.mkv" -s !32 --compression -1:none "_test.mkv"
    (2) mkvmerge.exe -o "test.mkv" --track-tags !32 --compression -1:none "_test.mkv"

Without editing in "Header Editor", mkvmerge.exe exits with error "matroska_reader: Codec Id is missing".
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MissingCodecID.JPG
Views:	566
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	51685  

Last edited by Lokotito; 27th Jan 2020 at 15:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. mkvpropedit "file.mkv" --edit track:32 --set codec-id=S_TEXT/ASS

I wonder if it's worth asking the author to change mkvmerge's behavior. Seems a bit odd to completely reject a file only because a single CODECID is missing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    mkvpropedit "file.mkv" --edit track:32 --set codec-id=S_TEXT/ASS

Work like a charm, thank you sneaker.

If any one is interested, I drop this track (and reorder audio) with this command using ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i "test.mkv" -ignore_unknown -map 0:v:0 -map 0:a:1 -map 0:a:0 -map 0:s -map -0:s:27 -map -0:s:28 -c copy "_test.mkv"
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Lokotito; 28th Jan 2020 at 08:45.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post

I wonder if it's worth asking the author to change mkvmerge's behavior. Seems a bit odd to completely reject a file only because a single CODECID is missing.
    I ask if this is a issue/bug in the forum of mkvtoolnix, but the response was negative, in resume this field is mandatory and the file is broken, even if a couple of media players open the file normal. Sad and disappointing answer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. After a couple of replies / messages in the mkvtoolnix forum, the developers agreed to implement allow reading these type of files without CidecID and "exclude" them in the mkvmerge interface.
    Quote Quote